Projecting videos from phone to Chevy my link screen.

25 minutes ago, Darmichar said:

If you have Carplay, there is a way to do it but you have to jailbreak your phone.

Any more info?  

How about for Android?

I've tried the video file thing on a USB drive on my '18 and it doesn't work that I can see.  I believe I even read somewhere that this was disabled a few years ago.  Sure would be nice if someone could "hack" the MyLink firmware to give us custom options.

13 minutes ago, colonel00 said:

Any more info?  

How about for Android?

I've tried the video file thing on a USB drive on my '18 and it doesn't work that I can see.  I believe I even read somewhere that this was disabled a few years ago.  Sure would be nice if someone could "hack" the MyLink firmware to give us custom options.

Watch the video I posted here:

At some point he talks about what he had to do to get his display to essentially mirror his phone.  I'm not sure about Android, haven't had one since the Droid Bionic, sorry.

TL;DR, he's essentially opening up the iPhone (actually an old iPod touch, but he explains why that is) using an app he downloaded on his jailbroken iPhone/iPod  and getting carplay to display whatever his iPhone/iPod is displaying.

Edited by Darmichar

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2018 at 11:44 PM, colonel00 said:

Any more info?  

How about for Android?

1st post here........

So if you have iOS 10-11.4 (not 11.4.1 as of today ) you can jailbreak your iPhone. I would recommend Cydia or Sileo.thru those apps you can download non-Apple approved apps for mirroring NGXPlay is free and you can add your apps to your CarPlay such as amazon video, hbo, slingTV, YouTube, google maps, angry birds or whatever but you have to leave your screen on.

However there is an app that’s $4.99 called CarBridge and it allows you to add apps into CarPlay  and you don’t have to have your iPhone screen on. (Note... there is some weird security patch with Netflix making it not work on some phones they CarPlay)

Both ways sort of bypass video in motion. 

Jailbreaking iOS is not replacing the operating system it only changing the permissions of making changes to your operating system. 

Edited by Superman_006

1 hour ago, jaxcam02 said:

I've read somewhere on this forum that there is a company or individual that can "jailbreak" your MyLink to watch videos on and install some third party apps. No clue when I saw it.

Not the newest version of Mylink (yet). Nav-tools and MVI are the only ways that I know of to do this.

The older version (2012-2014) you could get update the firmware with a thumbdrive to 24.5 then enter the development mode and add mirror link/add video in motion.