24 Hours With a 2019 Silverado 1500

newdude

I was able to finally spend some quality time in a 2019 SIlverado.  24 hours to be exact.

Where to start...LT trim, crew cab short box 4x4.  The truck had plenty of options added, the 5.3/A8 combination for motivation, OWL 18" tires on the 18" 10 spoke (5 split) silver wheels.  It was equipped with the All Star package, Leather Package, Convenience 2, Safety Package, Bed Protection and Advance Trailering Package.

For those unfamiliar, T1 is the largest change since GMT-900 (personal opinion, having been around GM trucks daily since 2009).  K2 was new suit (inside/outside) on GMT-900's chassis.  T1 is new frame, new body, 4 new engines, one new transmission (A10, to GM pickups), one updated transmission (A8), one carryover transmission (A6) and 2 updated carryover engines.    

The truck:  https://www.cavneub-williamson.com/VehicleDetails/new-2019-Chevrolet-Silverado_1500-Crew_Cab_Short_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_LT-Williamson-NY/3268276533

How it drives:  Having driven plenty of K2 trucks, T1 offers an improved experience. I currently own a 2016 Colorado Diesel, and driving them back to back, GM did some good homework.  The 1/2 crew felt like driving my Colorado.  The cornering is quite stable and feels almost flat from the inside, which is surprising for a pickup.  I feel more roll in K2 for sure. Bumps are controlled better than K2.  The back hop empty has less bounce/jarring, and the front feels almost as if it has more travel?  I doubt it, but again, very Colorado.  Drives well behaved for a truck.  

Everyone likes to knock the 5.3, day in and day out. 6.2 or bust. I'm sure it will continue, but the weight loss makes for the best 5.3 experience yet.  This truck can get up and move quite quick and swiftly.  Opening it up you can hear it inside, windows up.  The exhaust note seems changed slightly over K2's L83 as well.  Above the 4x4 buttons sits the drive mode selector.  I didn't try tow/haul, but sport adds some tweaking to the shift points, seems to hold gears a bit before settling into cruising gears, and is eager to downshift.  Throttle response seemed only slightly changed over the regular driving mode.  

DFM (Dynamic Fuel Management):  For years, GM touted how AFM can't be felt.  That its un-noticeable by the driver.  Bullshites.  Always felt AFM.  DFM on the other hand...I couldn't feel jack.  I think a combination of all 8 cylinders being able to adapt, and the CPVA torque converter setup (adapted from the 2.8 Duramax in Colorado) work wonders over AFM.  I don't think I felt it once.  And you can't hardly hear it with the exhaust setup (this truck was single exit).  

Brakes are WAY better than K2 and older.  4 piston fixed front calipers make for some serious clamping force.  The boost feels quite nice for being an electronic assist.  That's right, electronic brake assist.  No vacuum booster, vacuum pump to cause engine damage, etc. 

How it feels:  Seating is really nice.  Drove around about an hour in it and felt comfortable.  The initial entry into the seat, the bottom feels like its stiff and low, but that changes once you sit.  Everything is laid out pretty much as in K2.  Easy to reach, the headlight switch is larger and better, and no more confusing it and the 4x4 as the 4x4 is all push button.  The column shift.  Thank GOD they finally changed the shift lever!  GMT-800 and 900 called, they wanted theirs back.  The new one is smaller, yet has a way more precise feel.  A lot less slop too.  Visibility is good.  The mirrors (had the electronic blind spot detection system) allow for good adjustment.  Back window visibility is increased with a folding of the rear outboard headrests.  Worth it with no occupants in the truck, as the rear window looks shorter than K2.  

What I like/love:

- 5.3/A8 is improved over K2.  Seems less busy too.

- Interior is comfortable.

- Rides better.  More controlled.

- Easy to drive/maneuver.

- LED box/cargo lighting are great.  Cargo was long overdue.

- Brakes are the best GM has done yet in trucks.

- Looks.

- Drive mode selector.

- New.  Shift.  Lever.  

- Auto climate does a good job.

- Back seat room.  HUGE.

What I don't like/needs improvement:

- A8.  Yes, as much as I love this over the current A8 applications, it gave me a couple harsh 1-2 shifts when cold.

- Interior materials.  They are improved over K2, yet K2 has some spots that are better than T1.  Some sorta sharp edges on the steering wheel lower center black insert, the trim around the radio controls feels nice yet cheap at the same time.  Not enough contrast compared to K2.

- Seatbelts.  No more height adjustment for the shoulder portion.  I blame NHTSA/IIHS.

- Windows.  Why doesn't everything have express up and down on all windows. This truck can express down all, and only express up the driver.  It did have the dash master express down button, but it only does express down.

- Interior lighting.  Yes, still LED, but still needs more/brighter.  

- Tilt/telescope wheel.  The angle the cluster sits at is more top tilted towards the driver.  Took some finessing to get the cluster visible through the wheel.

- Upper tilt outwards of the cluster.

- Radio screen.  Not gonna lie, there is room for GM to go to 9 or 10 inches, or make it taller.

- Power tailgate.  WTF.  Its cool, but no manual override on a dead battery.  And everyone that has one on their truck better lock the bish, as they are gonna be stupid expensive to replace if stolen.  Lots of electronic gizmos inside it.

- Cargo lights can't be turned on while driving still.

- Stock LT sound system.  Honestly, worst LT trim (and I'm sure lower) radio ever in a GM truck, and GM always (to me) had great base/mid level radios.  Bass up to 12 and it sounds like a K2 radio at minus one/two bass.  Not thrilled.  Somewhat echo/tinny.  I'd go Bose all day having messed with a T1 High Country.

- Small cupholders in 40/20/40 console.

Strange/interesting things:

- 110v dash outlet has to be turned on now, as its tied with the rear outlet.  The switch isn't just for the one in the bed, its for both.  

- Forward facing "task" lamps.  I don't think they turned on while driving/in gear, but I honestly didn't get out to check.

- I think because this truck was still in demo mode, every time I shut it down and restarted it, the radio equalizer settings kept defaulting.    

- Center seat.  Locks in the upright position like Ford.  There is a strap, driver's side that you pull to unlock.  

A big thanks to Cavallaro Neubauer Chevrolet for the opportunity.  

Pictures to follow that I took.

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Details on the option packages in the truck:

PDU: All-Star Edition, includes (PCL) Convenience Package, (G80) locking rear differential and (Z82) Trailering Package.

PCL: Convenience Package, includes (CJ2) dual-zone automatic climate control, (A2X) 10-way power driver seat including power lumbar, (KA1) heated driver and passenger seats, (KI3) heated steering wheel, (N37) manual tilt/telescoping steering column and (USS) 2 charge-only USB ports for second row, (C49) rear-window defogger, (KPA) auxiliary power outlet, (ATH) Keyless Open and Start, (NP5) leather-wrapped steering wheel, (N06) steering column lock, (BTV) Remote Start, (UTJ) content theft alarm, (AZ3) front 40/20/40 split-bench with underseat storage, (QT5) power lock and release tailgate with lift assist and (UF2) bed LED cargo area lighting

PCM: Convenience Package II, includes (UG1) Universal Home Remote, (A48) rear sliding power window, (KI4) 120-volt power outlet, (KC9) 120-volt bed-mounted power outlet, (IOS) Chevrolet Infotainment System with 8" diagonal color touch-screen with (MCR) USB ports, (U2K) SiriusXM Radio, (U2L) HD radio and (UVB) HD Rear Vision Camera

PQB: Safety Package , includes (UD5) Front and Rear Park Assist, (UKC) Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert and (UFG) Rear Cross Traffic Alert

WPQ: Bed Protection Package, includes (B1J) wheelhouse liners and (CGN) Chevytec spray-on bedliner

ZL6: Advanced Trailering Package, includes (PZ8) Hitch Guidance with hitch view, (U1D) Advanced Trailering System and (PTT) Trailer Tire Pressure Monitor System

Edited by newdude

Great write up. Good info especially since you are familiar with the K2.   I'm going from a 2016 Sierra 6.2 to a 2019 Silverado RST 5.3 -  on order now. 

Good point on the weight savings... people hung up on "the engine didn't change on the 2019" don't remember that this new truck is a lot lighter. So that same 5.3 should be faster/better in every way.. 

Yes, the 6.2 is a beast, especially when tuned like mine is. But I don't tow anything and tired of putting premium gas in it.. 

2 hours ago, GMC-AT said:

Great write up. Good info especially since you are familiar with the K2.   I'm going from a 2016 Sierra 6.2 to a 2019 Silverado RST 5.3 -  on order now. 

Good point on the weight savings... people hung up on "the engine didn't change on the 2019" don't remember that this new truck is a lot lighter. So that same 5.3 should be faster/better in every way.. 

Yes, the 6.2 is a beast, especially when tuned like mine is. But I don't tow anything and tired of putting premium gas in it.. 

You are going from a tuned 6.2 to a 5.3? Yikes.

7 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

Newdude,

Thank you for the detailed review, and honest one at that!  :thumbs:

Does your time with the Silverado make you want to swith from the Colorado?

Also, were the mirrors power folding on this truck?

Waiting for the details on the 3.0 Duramax.  Then...who knows LOL.  I came from 4 Silverado/Sierra to Colorado.  The only thing I fear is GM is gonna throw electric fans at the diesel instead of a beefy clutch fan like the 6.6 and even the 2.8 Duramax.  I think they will go e-fan due to packaging, but at the same time, I think there is just enough room for a clutch fan. 

3 hours ago, Colossus said:

such an ugly ass end.  seems ok otherwise. 

Funny you say that.  The thing that bothers me on the back, is that big slab of wasted no man land below the "Silverado" and "LT" badges.  That and the increased sheet metal height make it look really tall and strange. 

Edited by newdude

Great review.

I sat in a new 2019 Z71 the other night.   And then in a 2018 Z71, they were side by side.   Some things I noticed:

Exterior looks great.   Didn't like the center stack interior, frankly the whole interior makes the K2 interior look simple and refined.    Looking into it from the side all I saw was that huge plastic piece under the steering wheel.  Wasn't a huge fan on the seating position, I could barely see the hood.  The K2 hood looks massive in front of the driver.   Finally, they made the cab much roomier inside, although I'd have to do a side-by-side with a F-series to see if it's the same size.   The new cab made the K2 seem small.

47 minutes ago, c0boy said:

Here is a screenshot from Alex on Autos.  Appears the Silverado has the most leg room (combined). 

2019LegRoom.jpg

This would agree with published specs it seems. 

2019 Silverado Crew Cab Front Legroom:  44.53in

2019 Silverado Crew Cab Rear Legroom:  43.4in

Total 87.93in.

2019 F-150 Crew Cab Front Legroom:  43.9in

2019 F-150 Crew Cab Rear Legroom:  43.6in

Total 87.5in.

Interesting to see that GM has .6in more front legroom over Ford, yet only .2in less legroom rear. 

Edited by newdude