Truck would not start today

Rock1500

So this is odd and I'm not sure where to start to look at this. Drove the truck around all day and worked fine. Went to a friend's house and when I wanted to leave the truck would not start. Not only would the truck not start. No lights came on and the engine would not turn over. Literally nothing was happening to the truck. I popped the hood up and the engine lights I installed worked so the battery had some juice. I tried to jump start it and nothing as well. Then after a few minutes of moving the shifter (I thought maybe I didn't leave it in park) and turning the key. It all of a sudden started.

Any ideas where I could begin with figuring out what could have happened?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

.. sounds like a short in harness or could be ignition switch or multiple other causes.. gremlins like that are process of elimination.. got to start ringing out circuits.

Buddy had a Chevy van with similar situation.. happened to die in my driveway when he went to leave while visiting me.. process of elimination determined worn wire in harness coming through firewall near dead pedal shorted (he rested his foot here while driving and caused wire insulation to wear).. start at the switch and ring out the circuits from there

.. sounds like a short in harness or could be ignition switch or multiple other causes.. gremlins like that are process of elimination.. got to start ringing out circuits.
Buddy had a Chevy van with similar situation.. happened to die in my driveway when he went to leave while visiting me.. process of elimination determined worn wire in harness coming through firewall near dead pedal shorted (he rested his foot here while driving and caused wire insulation to wear).. start at the switch and ring out the circuits from there
Interesting will look into that.

What year truck? Any other aftermarket equipment installed?

How are the hood lights wired for power? Piggyback on an existing fuse/circuit? Direct to battery? Any other electrical anomalies lately?

It's a 2014 GMC truck. I have a few mods like install lights into the engine bay directly to the battery. I have amp steps. I also put the diode in for the 3rd brake like to come on when in reverse. Plus I installed foot well lights as well.

was the steering wheel under any stress on the steering lock? if so it may not let you start sadly my mom does it all the time, but that also keeps you from turning the key all the way as well. 
I don't remember the case for the steering wheel but i do remember the key turning and nothing going off

• 2 weeks later...

I just had this happen this morning. This is the second time.

Dropped my son at school, came back to the truck and nothing, no lights, no sound, it was like the truck had the battery out - nothing.

Tried it few times on and off, went out, locked the door with the key and unlock still nothing. Last time it did this the theft deterrent message came up so i figured maybe the key locking will solve it.

Popped the hood open and checked the red and black cables, both seemed to be on there tight. Closed it all up and came back in, tried to start and i started getting lights back. Waited for few seconds in ACC mode till all dash lights were on and then it started. 

So weird. Checked codes and there are none.

I have a tuner that im running 87 tune on it but truck has been working fine with it for the past year so i dont think thats the issue. Everything else is stock, no other power draining things installed. 

I just had this happen this morning. This is the second time.
Dropped my son at school, came back to the truck and nothing, no lights, no sound, it was like the truck had the battery out - nothing.
Tried it few times on and off, went out, locked the door with the key and unlock still nothing. Last time it did this the theft deterrent message came up so i figured maybe the key locking will solve it.

Popped the hood open and checked the red and black cables, both seemed to be on there tight. Closed it all up and came back in, tried to start and i started getting lights back. Waited for few seconds in ACC mode till all dash lights were on and then it started. 
So weird. Checked codes and there are none.

I have a tuner that im running 87 tune on it but truck has been working fine with it for the past year so i dont think thats the issue. Everything else is stock, no other power draining things installed. 

Since the truck started after you were under the hood I would be highly suspicious of the negative battery cable. This is especially true if checking how tight the cables were involved touching, wiggling or moving anything.

8 hours ago, 300 Blackout said:

Since the truck started after you were under the hood I would be highly suspicious of the negative battery cable. This is especially true if checking how tight the cables were involved touching, wiggling or moving anything.

Yeah i did wiggle them but didnt notice them being loose, not to say they arent or the wires arent damaged.

I will be checking them out soon, tighten them up.

On something this new, going through circuits is probably the worst place to start. From experience with these trucks I would look at ground cable on the battery, then have someone pull codes from all the modules in the vehicle and see if you have any no comm codes or anything related to that and go from there. Going through circuits was something you might have started with on something from the 90s or early 2000s, but most of the time the newer stuff there will be some code in one of the modules that can help point you in the right direction, providing it is not a common battery cable issue.