CarPlay problems

Driving a 2017 Silverado 2500 (LTZ). Have never been able to get CarPlay working consistently. 

When the USB cable is first plugged into the phone, CarPlay connects and works properly. This lasts for 30-120 seconds. Then it disconnects and re-establishes the Bluetooth connection to the phone. Sometimes it will reconnect on its own in another 20-120 seconds. Then it disconnects again. This loop of disconnect/re-connect sometimes continues for several minutes. Other times it never reconnects. Very annoying to have everything cut in/out constantly.

I can also force a re-connect by unplugging and re-plugging the cable. As above, it will disconnect shortly after and require another unplug/re-plug to connect again.

In both of the above situations, the reconnection will only work 3-5 times. After the 3rd-5th disconnect, the system will not re-connect at all. The phone will charge, but the system does recognize that a phone is connected. The only way to re-connect at that point is to turn off the vehicle and restart. This is true even if attempting with a different phone.

This has been since I picked up the car in August 2017. Had problems with my iPhone 7 plus and the then-current iOS (10? - August 2017).

Picked up an iPhone X last year with iOS 11. Same problems.

Recently upgraded to iOS 12. Same problems.

Tried with my wife's iPhone 8. Same problems.

Tried different cables (all Apple branded). Same problems.

I have also tried (without success):

Deleting the phone from CarPlay (on both car and phone) and starting over

Turning off Bluetooth on the phone.

Deleting the Bluetooth profile from car and phone

I spoke to my dealer about this. He told me a Chevy CarPlay update is scheduled for release in November. There was no indication what will be in the update or if it might solve my issues. His response, however, led me to believe that CarPlay problems like mine are very common.

Crazy part is the inconsistency. I drove the truck to a weekend getaway this past weekend. On the way there, problems described above happened on the trip there. Couldn't get two phones to work and gave up when we hit the point where the system refused to connect any longer (I'm not going to pull over and restart the car every 5-10 minutes).

On the way back, however, CarPlay stayed connected and worked without a single glitch for a 4.5 hour drive home. Absolutely nothing changed on either vehicle or phone over the weekend. It makes no sense.

Anyone else having problems like this? Better yet, has anyone else found a fix?

• Like 1

I too have connection issues that are sporadic.  I think (or thought) it was attributed to the cable.  It's not horrible, it's just getting the initial connection to take place thats the problem.  I have to reconnect a few times every once and while to get the connection.  Once connected it stays connected though.

Same here.  The dealer did a "Human Interface" update 3-weeks ago when the truck was in for service and my connection issue got worse and to top it off  the service writer said I should not do any of the updates on my iPhone as that will cause the CarPlay to not connect.  I don't use the bluetooth because then the CarPlay won't connect at all.  I am using an "Apple" cable as at first they said that was my issue. Frustrated that I am having so may connection issues, guess I am not alone on this one.

CarPlay connection acts flaky on occasion in my 2017, but nothing like the OP posted.
I don’t know what line the dealer is trying to give you, but it should work now as is on 2017. I don’t know how a Chevy update will fix this. CarPlay updates are made by apple, not GM. Maybe a mylink software reset? Have you tried resetting the mylink back to factory settings and trying it again?My 2017 with the io6 system works pretty well with my iPhone 8 (iOS 12). Sometimes I have to manually unlock my phone for the system to connect. But t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the service writer said I should not do any of the updates on my iPhone as that will cause the CarPlay to not connect.  I don't use the bluetooth because then the CarPlay won't connect at all. 

I think the service writer is full of it. You should be running the latest iOS for a number of reasons.
CarPlay will override the Bluetooth connection. When I get into my truck, the Bluetooth connects first, but the automatically disconnects when I plug into CarPlay. It’s one or the other. This is normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk