Just purchased a 2002 chevy 1500 z71

As the title says, I just bought a 2002 chevy silverado with 56,000 miles on it.  Have the carfax showing it was driving about 2,000 miles a year for the last 14 years while the other 2 years had about 13,000 a year on it. 
Oil pressure is about 45 to 65 and the transmission is crisp when shifting.  Everything indicates that the previous owner just drove around with his dog(apparently rarely).
I just changed the cabin air filter, seems like it was never changed before but otherwise it seems to be doing well. 
What are some common issues with this era of truck? My father had a 2005, which had several issues with the 4wd actuator, blend door actuator, and the rear differential.

I have the gov lock rear(great system if used right in my opinion, and 3.73 gears.
I plan on using it for mostly commuting and limited towing/offroading. 
I came from a Tacoma that I wasn't happy with.  So far I am really enjoying the cable driven throttle and torque of the 5.3!  

You found a gem for sure. The GMT-800 is a very good truck. I've had 2. A 2000 sierra that lasted 340k miles (totaled by my little brother) and I'm rebuilding my 2004 Sierra that has 369k miles. Only major problem with the 2000 was a transmission failure at 278k miles, but keep in mind that it was lifted 4" sitting on 315s and I mud rode it alot. Was still running very strong when it was wrecked. The 04 just got a whole new front end today. The trans still shifts very well. Now the motor does use ALOT of oil. About 1 quart a week when I'm actually driving it. It's still a very strong driving truck tho. Good luck with what u have [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, zach1990 said:

You found a gem for sure. The GMT-800 is a very good truck. I've had 2. A 2000 sierra that lasted 340k miles (totaled by my little brother) and I'm rebuilding my 2004 Sierra that has 369k miles. Only major problem with the 2000 was a transmission failure at 278k miles, but keep in mind that it was lifted 4" sitting on 315s and I mud rode it alot. Was still running very strong when it was wrecked. The 04 just got a whole new front end today. The trans still shifts very well. Now the motor does use ALOT of oil. About 1 quart a week when I'm actually driving it. It's still a very strong driving truck tho. Good luck with what u have emoji106.pngemoji106.png

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I hope mine will last that long!!  I plan on leaving it bone stock since I want to keep it going for a long time.

• Like 1

Instrument clusters (stepper motors) failing causing gauges to read incorrectly, or in some cases, not at all.  Simple rebuilds can be found everywhere for about $125 or so (probably cheaper now...it was several years ago when I had our 05 Tahoe IC rebuilt), or you can do it yourself.  Most rebuilds even include updating the backlighting.

Thanks for the replies! So far it is driving great, however, I think I have an issue with the rear calipers sticking--specifically the right. Going to pull the wheel and see what is going on(hoping to get away with just greasing the pins).
Otherwise she drives well!

Fuel pump module, slip yoke clunk, 4x4 switch, and maybe the G-80 rear diff will be the only main trouble areas.  Great job on getting a gem!  Post photos when you can. 

Great find for sure. 

I purchased my 2002 new and it currently has 184k miles on it. I'm on the original front brakes.  Had to replace the rear due to the R/R caliper freezing.  Common on these.  There is a TSB out on it.  The dealer would install a splash shield in front of the rear tire to keep stuff from collecting on the caliper causing it to freeze up.

Slip yoke clunk is also an issue.  You hear the clunk when taking off.  The fix was GM installing and updated with a nickle plated slip yoke. Mine was done under warranty and fixed the issue.

Steering wheel knock, there is an updated part for that as well that you can purchase.  The early fix was to pack grease in the steering knuckle but the new updated Dorman 425-176 Intermediate Steering Shaft fixed my problem.

The other issue was my fuel pump.  It lasted until 120k and then I had to replace it.  Not hard. Had to pull the bed off.  Which is easy for two people.  Then you get great access to the top of the fuel tank to replace the pump.

My alternator went out at 160k. it cost me $75 to have it rebuilt. Way cheaper than getting a new one from a parts store.  They wanted $175.

No other problems with my truck. I changed out all the fluids to AMSOIL with in 10k miles and all has been well. 

The cabin filter is a yearly thing for me here with all the tree crap and pollen in the air.

You have a fuel filter. Change it if you don't know when it was changed last.  I change mine out every 30k miles.  You can get it at Walmart or order from Amazon. ACDelco GF652

It wouldn't hurt to change out all the fluids. Start fresh and know it was done.  Power steering is one everyone forgets about the most.  Easy to do, use a turkey baster, suck out as much as you can and refill.  Do this for the next 4 oil changes and it will be good for a long time.

Post up pictures when you get a chance. 

Don't forget you have 11 grease fitting under the front as well.  Make sure they are greased. Taking down the front splash guard makes getting to the idler arm easier.

• Like 2

As for the yoke, I have that issue, which really doesn't bother me as I am used to it from when my father had an 05. I will throw a fuel filter on and get a grease gun to grease all those fittings.
As for the caliper, I have it and just need to replace it--right rear.
Steering and rear diff all work well and I don't see much rust on any of the lines under there.
So far I am happy with it. Makes a lot of torque compared to my old tacoma(great truck just horrible engine/transmission combo).

Here are a couple pictures:
20181013_111240-min.thumb.jpg.c00da16b082caeb1d6c582e58e4e9f23.jpg

20181013_111219-min.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

Also, depending on what you want to spend on it.  A tune from Black Bear Performance will make a nice difference.  At least it really woke mine up. 

Yeahh if it woke it up that must be crazy! This thing is like on 500mg of caffine compared to my tuned tacoma I had. (2017) Some call this a "down grade" but I feel as though it drives nicer than the tacoma did.  Toyota really messed with the tune/transmission/engine in that truck. I hated driving it. This thing makes more power everywhere! Even my girlfriend likes driving it more and she has only driven those two trucks!

• Like 1

01 burb 4x4 with 350k
- front diff replaced under warranty
- yoke
- std stuff like alternator, radiator, water pump, hoses etc
- 3rd fuel pump
- 2nd transmission (wifey was using parking Paul for a parking brake and it snapped)
- new rebuilt motor at 300k. Son kept driving it with no oil oil pressure (it was leaking all over so I was about to do a completely tear down for a reseal, glad I just swapped the motor)
- only thing left in the engine bay that is original is the power steering pump
- Texas so no rust issues

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sefiroxx said:

01 burb 4x4 with 350k
- front diff replaced under warranty
- yoke
- std stuff like alternator, radiator, water pump, hoses etc
- 3rd fuel pump
- 2nd transmission (wifey was using parking Paul for a parking brake and it snapped)
- new rebuilt motor at 300k. Son kept driving it with no oil oil pressure (it was leaking all over so I was about to do a completely tear down for a reseal, glad I just swapped the motor)
- only thing left in the engine bay that is original is the power steering pump
- Texas so no rust issues

Yeah, if this engine ever dies i am going to go to a 6.0 probably. I can find them here often.  
So far everything works well so we will hope it lasts a while