GM dropped the ball

oldmann

Lots of early hoopla and build up and then no truck at dealers.  I don't understand how this could have happened.  New models are always introduced in August.  It is now September and the Silverado and Sierra are only trickling out with most models unavailable.  I hope you can turn this around GM, but it isn't looking good.  

Edited by teyaroch

2 minutes ago, teyaroch said:

Lots of early hoopla and build up and then no truck at dealers.  I don't understand how this could have happened.  New models are always introduced in August.  It is now September and the Silverado and Sierra are only trickling out with most models unavailable.  I hope you can turn this around GM, but it isn't looking good.  

If the timeline of the roll out was the biggest failing of the launch, I'd say that GM did a great job. 

Last I checked, most dealers still had lots of 2018 inventory (as well as the K2 2019s).

7 minutes ago, rkj__ said:

Last I checked, most dealers still had lots of 2018 inventory (as well as the K2 2019s).

^ this... if they load the lots with T1's, They'll have to discount the K2's even further than they have already. 

That being said, I think the hold back is intentional.

This is why they aren't advertising, because an all new model takes time to roll out in 3 factories and they don't want to increase demand without the product.  Because of their limited stock, even 2018s had weak discounts up until very recently. Since the 18s have just started 12-14k off I assume the full production is very close on the 2019s.  

The actual rollout so far has been very good.  It just wasn't ready until it was ready. 

When the full truck platform gets changed, like this time, it's always staggered by version and takes much longer that the mid-cycle changes. 

They're not going to the HD's until 2020MY.

1 hour ago, shift_grind said:

This is why they aren't advertising, because an all new model takes time to roll out in 3 factories and they don't want to increase demand without the product.  Because of their limited stock, even 2018s had weak discounts up until very recently. Since the 18s have just started 12-14k off I assume the full production is very close on the 2019s.  

The actual rollout so far has been very good.  It just wasn't ready until it was ready. 

This make so sense. " It" still is not ready, and therefore it is not good IMO.  

49 minutes ago, redwngr said:

When the full truck platform gets changed, like this time, it's always staggered by version and takes much longer that the mid-cycle changes. 

They're not going to the HD's until 2020MY.

The GMT800 to 900 change was not like this.  

All truck makers do this... roll out high demand first.  Double cabs, single cabs have to wait. Crew cabs is what sells. 

Dodge is just now rolling out RAM boxes on the 2019 trucks... over 6 months after production started. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, teyaroch said:

Its called special order hoss Go to your dealer and tell them what you want so it can be ordered.

I’ve yet to see any on the roads here in DFW, and I actively look for the new Rams and GM trucks. Considering a sweet SLT 6.2 at a dealer right now for $53k, but but debating due to initial interior impressions...

Edited by Jim165

3 minutes ago, Jim165 said:

I’ve yet to see any on the roads here in DFW, and I actively look for the new Rams and GM trucks. Considering a sweet SLT 6.2 at a dealer right now for $53k, but but debating due to initial interior impressions...

Jim, I live in the DFW area... I have spotted 2 by my house in Aubrey

a White trail boss and an ugly dark green LT basic truck. Mine is a black LTZ that I hopefully will be picking up any day now from Classic in Grapevine