Capable of towing in snow?

I'm doing some research to buy a truck when tax return time gets here. I'm probably down to a Sierra, F-150, or Tundra. I have an Acadia now and am happy with it, so the Sierra is an early front runner.

Anyway, the truck would probably see about 5k miles a year. Mostly used for trips to the lumber yard or that sort of thing. However, a few times a year, it would be driven to the mountains, often during heavy snow, and sometimes pulling a trailer with ATV's on it, or maybe one in the bed. Currently I make these trips in a 2014 Wrangler on Duratracs. The towing capability is limited to a single ATV in winter, but I've had it climb a steep, winding dirt logging road in 9" of falling snow without complaining. I never had to worry that I would get it stuck in the snows as long as I didn't make any stupid mistakes driving it. 

Assuming I put a decent set of tires on a 4x4 Sierra, will it offer that same level of confidence up there? Sometimes the locations might be 10+ miles away from help, and I might have my kids along, so I need to be sure the truck won't fail me assuming my driving doesn't fail it. Any particular issues, or a trim level that will make this a good choice for these uses? 

I have a 2017 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 with a 5.3/6L80E/3.08 set up. I've towed 5k lbs with it in the snow with no issues, I run BFG All Terrains year round. I would think with a good tire and common sense driving a crew cab truck should have no worries. Stopping has been sketchy a couple of times but slow traction and getting through drifts has never been an issues.

Here's a load last winter in front of Mt McKinley on the Parks Highway.

45619755281_7c737d4ae9_k.jpg

Narrow tires that will cut through, instead of push/ride up on snow will help. You're already used to driving in it, I would say you won't have any problems with a Sierra. If you are going to tow a trailer in snow, I would try to find one that tracks in the same ruts as your truck tires. If the trailer axle is wider, the tires are dragging through virgin snow, that will make it harder for any vehicle to move it.

The biggest difference you may notice is the GM twins seem to have the lowest ground clearance on a stock truck. So if you are really worried about handling in deep snow, take off some of plastic front facia that is only there to help with highway fuel economy/airflow. You could look at a leveling kit to bring the front end up as well, but its not really necessary.

That said, I find mine very capable in snow!

• Like 1

Yeah, over 1' deep you are pushing snow with the front bumper. We had a 20" blizzard last spring after the ground thawed. I wanted to see how deep I could drive through without plowing. After 12" I had to go put the plow on and move it out of my way. 

There's a car buried in the ditch after I got out of my driveway.

20180415_180817.jpg

3 hours ago, aseibel said:

Narrow tires that will cut through, instead of push/ride up on snow will help. You're already used to driving in it, I would say you won't have any problems with a Sierra. If you are going to tow a trailer in snow, I would try to find one that tracks in the same ruts as your truck tires. If the trailer axle is wider, the tires are dragging through virgin snow, that will make it harder for any vehicle to move it.

The biggest difference you may notice is the GM twins seem to have the lowest ground clearance on a stock truck. So if you are really worried about handling in deep snow, take off some of plastic front facia that is only there to help with highway fuel economy/airflow. You could look at a leveling kit to bring the front end up as well, but its not really necessary.

That said, I find mine very capable in snow!

Are those the stock Goodyear highway tires?

Just now, MaverickZ71 said:

Are those the stock Goodyear highway tires?

yes, i'm still cautiously rocking the stock crappy goodyears. For at least 1 more winter.

They are actually OK in snow, I think better than on wet pavement. But I'm going to Cooper Discoverer AT3 once I can convince the wife that my tires are bad enough.

All it took for my wife was one road trip on the SRA’s in the heavy rain from State College back home to Pittsburgh. My Cooper A/T3’s were on my truck the following day along with her full endorsement.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

Yeah, once you get the snow packed up under the truck, it basically high centers it and you are not going anywhere.

This^^

Suggestion: Measure the lowest point on the Jeep to the ground, usually the front differential and do the same for the truck  you're interested in. That will show you how deep the snow you can get through.

As far as capabilities, the truck would probably be able to pull your jeep and trailer all at once.

4 hours ago, DONWT15 said:

Suggestion: Measure the lowest point on the Jeep to the ground, usually the front differential and do the same for the truck  you're interested in. That will show you how deep the snow you can get through.

As far as capabilities, the truck would probably be able to pull your jeep and trailer all at once.

Well, sorta kinda, but not exactly. 

You're not likely going to get stuck if only your differential and shock mounts are pushing snow.

I assure you, my Canyon can get through more snow then is pictured below, even though the snow depth is starting to exceed the clearance to the shock mounts and differential.

43814445330_88370975bc_b.jpgCanyon Snow Rear by Ryan Jakob, on Flickr

Edited by rkj__

If you have a 4x4 pickup and decent tires, it is 90% the driver in snowy conditions. Know how your vehicle reacts and what it will do. The key in snow for traction is to not have too wide of a tire, in all honesty a skinnier tire will offer better traction as there is more ground pressure which allows the tire to sink through the snow to the ground below. A fat tread with distribute the truck's weight out more and the tire wont bite down to the ground below. I have 12.5" wide AT's on my 6.2L but it wont even move on a snow covered road in 2wd which is part of the reason it winters in the garage and I drive the 5.3 or 6L. 

I would choose an AT tread in a skinner profile if you go ATVing and Snowmobiling in the mountains. Look at a 245 section width in a taller aspect ratio to give you the same or better ground clearance. If your stock tires are for example 265/60R18's then look to go to a 245/70R18. I would also suggest a 2" level at the least because you don't want your front end dragging through the snow stealing your momentum. 

IMG_0872.JPG

IMG_0916.JPG

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bushleaguechew said:

2 feet of snow on a dirt road $0

Running on a narrow groomed snowmobile track covered in 2 feet of snow. About $300 dollars to have a front loader come pull me out. c4e1f134ec4f31590e5e20104d7e135e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh man, that license plate! The irony! I can just see your wife saying "Don't go to the cabin this weekend, the road hasn't been opened yet!"  

• Like 1