How many miles - major engine or trans issues?

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW I've been a subscriber to Consumer Reports magazine my entire life. GM themselves has said in the past that CR's reliability survey data closely correlates with their own data, and there just aren't any widespread issues with the engines or transmissions on this generation of Burbs. The 6L80E transmission is nothing fancy but it's reliable, and the same with the L83 5.3L engine, with all of the tweaks and updates that the previous gen had issues from with the cylinder deactivation stuff. With as many of these trucks as there are on the road you'll for sure see threads pop up, but for the most part they seem to just go.

Not so sure about the 8-speed or 10-speed transmissions, but the L83/6L80 combo in the standard Suburban seems to be pretty solid.

• Like 1

all of the vehicles I put with the miles the trans went out around 120.000 mi we use all of our suburbans to haul our clients around the all have max trailering package  two have tan interior and one has black interior all capatain chairs and all are summit white one has gmc wheels and the others are different style 22 in wheels we get 80.000 miles out of a set of brigstone dulers then switch over to Michelin defenders

In my reading on these forums I have seen several with trans failures from 160K-200K. Most state no maintenance. I find many people to neglect/forget to ever service their trans and differential. I will be servicing using the severe service recommendations and hoping for better. I swapped the stock crap rear differential fluid over to Amsoil early at 5K and will do my trans at 50K intervals. I do tow occasionally but I am in Florida heat all the time. 

2015 Suburban with 138,000 miles. Perfectly maintained with all service records. Engine has been good so far but I had to have the entire transmission (6L80) rebuilt about 4000 miles ago. The torque convert clutch (TCC) failed and destroyed the rest. I had an extend powertrain warranty that did cover the cost, $3500 with a $250 deductible. My transmission shop also recommended that I upgrade the torque converter as well (partly because the factory parts were on back order and would take weeks) and this was the known point of failure. The cost for the upgrade part was an additional $200, the shop split the cost, so an additional $100 out of my pocket but well worth it. So now I am running a rebuilt trans with HD torque converter. I also added an additional after market transmission cooler to be safe.

We have an 08 Tahoe with 168K...original transmission and it shifts perfectly.

My 17 Silverado 6.2 is a different story.  The transmission and torque converter have been a mess since day 1....up until when the TC finally failed at 54K miles and took the transmission with it.  7 days later and a complete rebuild it drives better than at any point in time since I've had it.  Here's hoping it's finally fixed for once and for all.

• 2 months later...
On 3/12/2019 at 7:07 PM, BretAz48 said:

2015 Yukon XL. 6L80

99,752 pump grenaded.

102,000 rear end went out.

195,000 transmission failed. Replaced with remanufacture for $4,000.00

Transmission fluid and rear diff fluid changed every 50k miles.

You drive 50k/year?