Vacuum pump replaced. Pics comparing old vs new design.

I replaced my vacuum pump back in March and forgot I took pics comparing the old with the new.

I could hear a light ticking noise that I suspected was coming from the vacuum pump. I decided to proactively replace it in case it decided to self destruct and contaminate the oil. I didn't notice any difference in brake performance before/after so I assume the old was still functioning properly. Vacuum line going to booster looked clean. Replacing the pump wasn't as straight forward as I thought it would be. Getting to and removing the bolts that hold it on to the engine wasn't easy. Had to get creative with multiple universal joints. Went through about every swear word in the book and wrapped it up in a few hours.

In the side by side pics the new pump is on the right. In the close up pics the new pump isn't oily/dirty and has "WABCO" cast in the inside. The new pump is definitely a completely different design the old. New pump part number is ACDelco 12669488.

IMG_20180303_122455017_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180303_122507778.jpg

IMG_20180303_122512978_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180303_122545867_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180303_122558465.jpg

3 hours ago, pickmeup said:

Save your receipts because national highway safety board is investigating pump failure related accidents I read . Might be a recall it said .

Do you have any links or other reading material to this information above?

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...