Allison Farewell in 2020?

Allison is the greatest.  Part of the reason I own the DMax/Allison platform is because of the drivetrain alone; even with some of the GM shortcomings like small cabs, no pano roof, offset steering wheel, lack of HVAC in rear seat of crew cab, etc.  Sounds like a true Allison is gone?  I love more gears and an Allison 10 SPD sounds awesome...but it will not be an Allison built in Indy (Speedway).  Just a marketing strategy with a name slapped on the hood.    Developing of course...True/False..or Comments?

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/12/2020-silverado-hds-allison-transmission-isnt-really-an-allison/

It still was tested and validated through partnership with Allison according to GM so maybe give it a few years and all the bugs will be worked out.  I mean look at Ford's new torqueshift-G recall and this is the first couple years of it.  Time will tell but we do seem to be harsh critiques of something that isn't even set to be in the consumer market for at least another 6 months. 

Edited by Princess_jamie
Drinking and bad Grammer.

Allison Transmission Holdings Inc., the largest global provider of commercial duty fully automatic transmissions, announced , along with Chevrolet, the availability of a 10-speed, fully automatic transmission in the new Class 2/3, 2020 Silverado 2500/3500 HD trucks. Equipped with the Allison branded 10-speed transmission, the 2020 Silverado HD will debut in February 2019.

"We built the new 2020 Silverado HD with more differentiation than ever before, to meet the needs and priorities of our customers," said Jaclyn McQuaid, chief engineer, Silverado HD. "By offering the new Allison 10-speed, tested and validated in partnership with Allison Transmission, each transmission will deliver the legendary quality and durability that customers have come to expect.

The Allison branded automatic transmission, manufactured by General Motors, combines enhanced performance and fuel economy, greater operational flexibility, and improved driver comfort and control, with an industry-leading reputation for uptime and reliability. Designed for high-performance and low-maintenance, the Allison 10-speed coupled with Chevrolet's Duramax diesel engines provide the superior power delivery and productivity customers demand.

"We are pleased that General Motors continues to expand the range of Allison products available for their customers with the 2020 Silverado HD," said Randy Kirk, senior vice president Product Engineering and Program Management, Allison Transmission. "Allison Transmission and GM have a long history of collaboration and innovation. Recently, Allison Transmission announced production of the 6-speed fully automatic transmission, designed for Chevrolet's Silverado 4500 HD, 5500 HD and 6500 HD medium-duty trucks."

The 6-speed fully automatic transmission, manufactured by Allison Transmission, is the exclusive, commercial-duty transmission for Silverado chassis cab medium-duty commercial trucks.

"General Motors and Allison Transmission engineers have worked closely to provide optimal integration and help drive Chevrolet's hardest-working trucks since the 1950s. As a company, we are dedicated to engineering and manufacturing the most productive and reliable transmissions that improve the way our customers work," said John Coll, senior vice president Global Marketing, Sales and Service, Allison Transmission.

• Thanks 1

Allison was a division of GM when they developed the transmission for behind the dmax and the 8.1.

(Yes, it's been updated several times since, to handle the extra torque.  The change to 6 speed from 5 was a new valve body to provide  a new combination using the existing gearing, and of course TCM changes.  1 - 5 are  the same ratios in the 5 spd and 6 spd. )

Edited by redwngr
  • Like 1

Yeah, GM and Allison were sister companies years ago. The relationship continues even though GM sold off Allison.  Really, about time they came out with a updated 10 speed version for the pickups.  Allison has had a 10 speed auto out for heavy commercial semi OTR trucks for a while.  Even considering a Allison TC10 in my next semi truck purchase if I buy another one.  That is still up in the air.  

What really amazes me is that no other OEM's choose Allison for their heavy pickup transmissions.  Allison makes transmissions for all brands of commercial trucks from class 4 on up thru class 8.  It really is a surprise that Ford and FCA haven't offered Allison's in their 3/4 and 1 ton pickups.  Allison has more experience making auto trans for just about everything.  When folks question Allison stuff,  l like to show them this video.....

13 hours ago, redwngr said:

Allison Transmission Holdings Inc., the largest global provider of commercial duty fully automatic transmissions, announced , along with Chevrolet, the availability of a 10-speed, fully automatic transmission in the new Class 2/3, 2020 Silverado 2500/3500 HD trucks. Equipped with the Allison branded 10-speed transmission, the 2020 Silverado HD will debut in February 2019.

"We built the new 2020 Silverado HD with more differentiation than ever before, to meet the needs and priorities of our customers," said Jaclyn McQuaid, chief engineer, Silverado HD. "By offering the new Allison 10-speed, tested and validated in partnership with Allison Transmission, each transmission will deliver the legendary quality and durability that customers have come to expect.

The Allison branded automatic transmission, manufactured by General Motors, combines enhanced performance and fuel economy, greater operational flexibility, and improved driver comfort and control, with an industry-leading reputation for uptime and reliability. Designed for high-performance and low-maintenance, the Allison 10-speed coupled with Chevrolet's Duramax diesel engines provide the superior power delivery and productivity customers demand.

"We are pleased that General Motors continues to expand the range of Allison products available for their customers with the 2020 Silverado HD," said Randy Kirk, senior vice president Product Engineering and Program Management, Allison Transmission. "Allison Transmission and GM have a long history of collaboration and innovation. Recently, Allison Transmission announced production of the 6-speed fully automatic transmission, designed for Chevrolet's Silverado 4500 HD, 5500 HD and 6500 HD medium-duty trucks."

The 6-speed fully automatic transmission, manufactured by Allison Transmission, is the exclusive, commercial-duty transmission for Silverado chassis cab medium-duty commercial trucks.

"General Motors and Allison Transmission engineers have worked closely to provide optimal integration and help drive Chevrolet's hardest-working trucks since the 1950s. As a company, we are dedicated to engineering and manufacturing the most productive and reliable transmissions that improve the way our customers work," said John Coll, senior vice president Global Marketing, Sales and Service, Allison Transmission.

Well now...I had read the article on GMAuthority, but they cited no sources. 

This is rather interesting.  GM built unit that is backed by Allison and still called an Allison.    

Edited by newdude

13 hours ago, pronstar said:

Interesting.

GM tranny, branded and tested by Allison.

Is the current tranny a true Allison, or the same dealio?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Current trans is a true Allison, the Allison 1000 used in LOTS of applications (school bus, class 4-7 trucks, motorhome, etc). 

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

I would like to know if it is a “sealed” unit with no fluid level check. Some newer transmissions have been for a few years and more are following this trend. I hope not but I remember the first one I tried to check...here is some info on eliminating dip sticks and anyone who knows, please post some information. 

https://www.mistertransmission.com/no-more-transmission-dipstick/

Edited by EXSlider400

12 hours ago, Cowpie said:

Yeah, GM and Allison were sister companies years ago. The relationship continues even though GM sold off Allison.  Really, about time they came out with a updated 10 speed version for the pickups.  Allison has had a 10 speed auto out for heavy commercial semi OTR trucks for a while.  Even considering a Allison TC10 in my next semi truck purchase if I buy another one.  That is still up in the air.  

What really amazes me is that no other OEM's choose Allison for their heavy pickup transmissions.  Allison makes transmissions for all brands of commercial trucks from class 4 on up thru class 8.  It really is a surprise that Ford and FCA haven't offered Allison's in their 3/4 and 1 ton pickups.  Allison has more experience making auto trans for just about everything.  When folks question Allison stuff,  l like to show them this video.....

Well, our Freightliner M2's at work have a 6.7/ Allison combo (aside from our MT versions). Does that count, haha

Edited by carkhz316

On 12/8/2018 at 10:06 AM, silveradosid said:

you will miss that 12.7 if you go new

I would because of the simplicity and ease of being able to work on and availability of low priced parts and components.  I can replace the turbo on my 12.7 for $700.  I can only look at one those newer water cooled VG turbos on the newer engines for $3000 or more on the parts counter not installed.  So it is not likely that I will go new.  There is not a heavy truck engine being made now that interests me.  They are a morass of sensors and complexity on steroids that doesn't deliver the value.  I will more than likely just drop in another Detroit Factory Reman 12.7 crate engine in the truck and keep it going.  Some things I do like about the newer heavy trucks has nothing to do with engines and creature comforts. . Stuff like air disc brakes that I don't have.   And on topic... the Allison TC10 that is available in some class 8 OTR tractors.

Edited by Cowpie