my new SLT

ok i couldnt pass on the discounts they were offering on the 2018 Seirra 1500's so i replaced my 2008 Seirra Denali 6.2 (248,000miles) with a new 5.3 Loaded SLT White Frost Tricoat, im not sure if there is any option this one doesnt have other than the big motor, i have heated/cooled seats, power sunroof, power rear window, bed is sprayed, under seat storage,  lane departure etc. I really wanted the 6.2L because i loved my old one but i decided to be smart and save that extra 5k for mods...lol

ok so list of mods immediatly before christmas

window tint

remove rectangle running boards (for 3 inch ovals)

Im taking the kids to Disney next week so the street tires can stay till we get back....maybe

2 inch level and 295/55 Ridge grapplers to go on the 20inch OEM snowflakes

(eventually i want 22 CK190 wheels and 4.5 BDS)

my question to you guys is since im gonna miss my 6.2 what intake and exhaust sounds the best....i had Volant intake on my denali and the factory exhaust sounded great, but this 5.3 sounds like 2 gerbals running around in a cage. I want good sound not piss my neighbors off sound

• Like 1

I have a gm performance intake and exhaust.  Love the exhaust, it is perfect for me.  Sounds great at startup and when you get on it, other than that you don't even notice it.  Great for not pissing off the neighbors when I leave for work at 5am, although my next door neighbor said she could tell my truck was louder. I have the borla daul exit behind the passenger rear wheel.

yea said i would never get a 5.3 EVER, but my 2008 was starting to have a valve stick or something else about to happen under the hood and i just couldnt stomach the price difference this time around. I have 3 kids under 10 and i have still been able to keep both of my boats soooo if i can deal with the 5.3 for a couple of years then im ok with it. I need to look what gearing i have but so far i have been impressed with the acceleration with the 8spd. those goodyear stock tires though...not sure im gonna make it through the week. 

i miss the rumble of my 6.2 but a decent Cat back and CAi i will get over it. if not ill trade for a 6.2 in a year or so..that 2019 AT4 i saw yesterday looked pretty good!! LOL

not gonna lie i am pretty excited about the 16.8 MPG i am averaging the first 1000 miles, my old 6.2 AWD denal;i averaged 11.2

Edited by bhales

On 12/10/2018 at 6:43 PM, bhales said:

I really wanted the 6.2L because i loved my old one but i decided to be smart and save that extra 5k for mods...lol

6.2L isn't near 5k...MSRP is $2495.  Further, you can make up a decent amount of that cost in resale. 

First mod should be a catch can.  UPR is the best option IMO.  Save your valves early.  

Edited by Nitrousbird

18 hours ago, bhales said:

yea said i would never get a 5.3 EVER, but my 2008 was starting to have a valve stick or something else about to happen under the hood and i just couldnt stomach the price difference this time around. I have 3 kids under 10 and i have still been able to keep both of my boats soooo if i can deal with the 5.3 for a couple of years then im ok with it. I need to look what gearing i have but so far i have been impressed with the acceleration with the 8spd. those goodyear stock tires though...not sure im gonna make it through the week. 

i miss the rumble of my 6.2 but a decent Cat back and CAi i will get over it. if not ill trade for a 6.2 in a year or so..that 2019 AT4 i saw yesterday looked pretty good!! LOL

not gonna lie i am pretty excited about the 16.8 MPG i am averaging the first 1000 miles, my old 6.2 AWD denal;i averaged 11.2

OMG...11.2 mpg ? my 2018 6.2 average is 17.4 (manual calculations not the truck computer) and the truck shows a best of 22.3 mpg. I will say that I’m not driving it really hard but I’m certainly not babyin it either. I have the Borla ATAK CATBACK so I like to hear my investment ? I had a 5.3 in my 2008 and it towed my 24 foot Bowrider just fine on our Florida flat roadways. Congratulations on the new ride ???

Oh and I have the SLT 4x4 so similar vehicle as far as mpg goes

Edited by SS502
  • Like 1

Congrats man! 

I have to add a +1 for the Corsa Sport.

I just picked up my 2015 and the previous owner had the Corsa installed with an Airaid MIT, and it’s one of my favorite things about the truck. I had Flowmaster Super 44s on my 2008 5.3 and I liked it well enough but the Corsa sounds so nasty on startup and when you mash the gas on the move. I’ve had people turn around, laugh, and tell me they thought my truck was a Vette or a Camaro when it started up. That said, on the highway or at a steady cruise, it’s almost silent compared to the Super 44s. Obviously it’s a pretty system comparatively, but I have to say it’s a pretty awesome setup for what you pay. 

Let us know what you end up getting!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

6.2L isn't near 5k...MSRP is $2495.  Further, you can make up a decent amount of that cost in resale. 

First mod should be a catch can.  UPR is the best option IMO.  Save your valves early.  

i will go back to the 6.2L as it is a beast it just wasnt in the cards for this go round. just picked up the truck from the tint shop 20% all the way around and 70% in the windshield ill take pics tommrow.

also anyone running a Volant CAI on a 5.3 i liked mine on my 6.2L

Edited by bhales
intake
  • Like 1

well 1500 miles in i just had to take her to the shop the camber in the front was off making the front tires cup and it sounded like i was driving a helicopter. dealership swapped out the front tires and did an alignment. 

these crappy goodyears are gone first of the year but i wast driving to Orlando like that this weekend....