2018 Silverado 400 miles 38% oil life

8 minutes ago, buckeyeguy142 said:

Why does me new 2018 with 400 miles show only 38% oil life left,  break in oil ?

No break in oil in the GM trucks. Have you checked the level and to see what the oil looks like? How many engine hours are you showing?

The oil life monitor takes into account how long the truck has been sitting on the lot before you bought it.  Either change it now, or reset you light and wait until it gets down again.  or ignore the monitor do it every 3- 5,000 miles like I do.

1 hour ago, JimCost2014 said:

No break in oil in the GM trucks. Have you checked the level and to see what the oil looks like? How many engine hours are you showing?

Mine says 92% with 597miles. 18.4hours

Who said there is no break in oil?

Where did you get that info?

I'm pretty sure it's a high detergent oil at least . 

The C7 Corvette guys are changing the oil at around 1500 miles. 6.2 motor. 

That's when I changed my oil on my other 2018. I'll do the same with this one 

When in doubt just change it.

1545523819351951262030247492472.jpg

Edited by dieselfan1

16 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

Mine says 92% with 597miles.

Who said there is no break in oil?

Where did you get that info?

I'm pretty sure it's a high detergent oil at least . 

The C7 Corvette guys are changing the oil at around 1500 miles. 6.2 motor. 

That's when I changed my oil on my other 2018. I'll do the same with this one 

When in doubt just change it.

1545523819351951262030247492472.jpg

I usually just make things up as I go along. Please show me in the owners manual where they describe the break in oil and when it should be changed in the trucks.

It don't say anything in the owners manual.  

Common sense says there will be metal shavings in the oil from the bearings . Mostly copper from what I understand. We are talking microscopic here. I'm sure the factory oil is a high detergent oil 

You can leave it in there If you want I don't care. I change mine at 1500 miles no matter what. Then I change it again at 4500. Then after that I go by the oil life meter. 

I have done this in every new truck I buy and I've had 16 new  Chevy's since 1983. I always run full synthetic. Never had an oil related trouble. Or oil burners for that matter. It's cheap insurance. Do whatever you want though. 

Google it if you want .

There is a million opinions. 

New oil is better than old oil that's a fact 

Edited by dieselfan1

2 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

It don't say anything in the owners manual.  

Common sense says there will be metal shavings in the oil from the bearings . Mostly copper from what I understand. We are talking microscopic here. I'm sure the factory oil is a high detergent oil 

You can leave it in there If you want I don't care. I change mine at 1500 miles no matter what. Then I change it again at 4500. Then after that I go by the oil life meter. 

I have done this in every new truck I buy and I've had 16 new  Chevy's since 1983. I always run full synthetic. Never had an oil related trouble. Or oil burners for that matter. It's cheap insurance. Do whatever you want though. 

Will do, thanks for your concern: From posting 129881:

While the official answer is that the factory oil fill is nothing special....just plain 5W30 Mobil 1 just like you get in the store...the fact is that the engine was assembled on the assembly line with a small amount of ZDP rich assembly lube applied to critical surfaces as assembly lube. Cylinder walls, ring, ring lands, bearings, cam lobes, etc. all receive local applications of a Lubrizol assembly lube product an/or EOS. This assembly lube probably totals around 6 ounces or so total for the engine. This obviously protects against local scuffing or wear during the initial few seconds of operation and then the ZDP rich assembly lube is washed into the oil and contributes to spiking the factory oil fill with extra ZDP....so....in fact, the factory oil fill does, by default, have slightly higher levels of ZDP to guard against breakin wear. Removing this oil and changing early does put less ZDP in the oil for the breakin miles that follow.

It is probably not a big deal at all because the ZDP additive is fairly small, most of the purpose of it being in the oil is covered by the first few miles of operation and new oil would have a certain level of ZDP equivalent to the factory fill oil anyway assuming some of the extra ZDP was used up during the earliest moments of breakin.

But, the fact is that the factory oil fill is a bit "special" having that spike of ZDP rich assembly lube in it.

If you must change early for piece of mind, you could add a pint of GM EOS to the new oil fill to replicate the assembly lube addition to the factory oil fill.

Personally, I would just run the factory oil fill to the first change interval. If you do want to change early, follow the oil life monitor and change at 50% oil life or something like that for an early first change. Changing at 500 and 2000 is a waste of time and money as the oil in the engine at that point is perfectly fine. It won't hurt to change it, especially if you add the EOS but it really isn't going to help anything, either.

I have seen a lot of factory engines torn down after running lots of miles with the factory oil fill and they look perfect inside with no harm done whatsoever by running the oil to the first full oil monitor change interval.

2 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Will do, thanks for your concern: From posting 129881:

While the official answer is that the factory oil fill is nothing special....just plain 5W30 Mobil 1 just like you get in the store...the fact is that the engine was assembled on the assembly line with a small amount of ZDP rich assembly lube applied to critical surfaces as assembly lube. Cylinder walls, ring, ring lands, bearings, cam lobes, etc. all receive local applications of a Lubrizol assembly lube product an/or EOS. This assembly lube probably totals around 6 ounces or so total for the engine. This obviously protects against local scuffing or wear during the initial few seconds of operation and then the ZDP rich assembly lube is washed into the oil and contributes to spiking the factory oil fill with extra ZDP....so....in fact, the factory oil fill does, by default, have slightly higher levels of ZDP to guard against breakin wear. Removing this oil and changing early does put less ZDP in the oil for the breakin miles that follow.

It is probably not a big deal at all because the ZDP additive is fairly small, most of the purpose of it being in the oil is covered by the first few miles of operation and new oil would have a certain level of ZDP equivalent to the factory fill oil anyway assuming some of the extra ZDP was used up during the earliest moments of breakin.

But, the fact is that the factory oil fill is a bit "special" having that spike of ZDP rich assembly lube in it.

If you must change early for piece of mind, you could add a pint of GM EOS to the new oil fill to replicate the assembly lube addition to the factory oil fill.

Personally, I would just run the factory oil fill to the first change interval. If you do want to change early, follow the oil life monitor and change at 50% oil life or something like that for an early first change. Changing at 500 and 2000 is a waste of time and money as the oil in the engine at that point is perfectly fine. It won't hurt to change it, especially if you add the EOS but it really isn't going to help anything, either.

I have seen a lot of factory engines torn down after running lots of miles with the factory oil fill and they look perfect inside with no harm done whatsoever by running the oil to the first full oil monitor change interval.

The 5.3 and 6.2 motors use 0w20 oil now not 5w30

6 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

I highly doubt that statement 

It does. The algorithm uses mileage AND time. If the truck is a left over 18 that has been sitting in the lot for months, the life will be significantly low once it's finally sold. The dealership usually resets them back to 100% before delivery. I've seen a ton of vehicles at 0% by the time they get sold. 

28 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

The 5.3 and 6.2 motors use 0w20 oil now not 5w30

Thought that you would catch that, the viscosity is not the point of the story. Each owner can do what they choose with their own vehicles, you are very correct on that statement. Anyway, Merry Christmas and have a very Happy New Year!!!