2018 Silverado 400 miles 38% oil life

1 hour ago, qwank said:

It does. The algorithm uses mileage AND time. If the truck is a left over 18 that has been sitting in the lot for months, the life will be significantly low once it's finally sold. The dealership usually resets them back to 100% before delivery. I've seen a ton of vehicles at 0% by the time they get sold. 

I would have to agree with dieselfan 1, oil life is determined by engine revolutions not time or mileage so I've been told by GM tech, so if engine is not running, oil life will not be affected. My  2014 and 2015 both sat in garage  on average of 3-4 months during the summer and never showed the oil life going down just sitting.

8 minutes ago, Booger T said:

I would have to agree with dieselfan 1, oil life is determined by engine revolutions not time or mileage so I've been told by GM tech, so if engine is not running, oil life will not be affected. My  2014 and 2015 both sat in garage  on average of 3-4 months during the summer and never showed the oil life going down just sitting.

Fine, don't believe me, I only deal with this everyday at the dealership. How do you explain the original poster's situation then? :lurk:

4 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Thought that you would catch that, the viscosity is not the point of the story. Each owner can do what they choose with their own vehicles, you are very correct on that statement. Anyway, Merry Christmas and have a very Happy New Year!!!

Agreed. I change my oil once a year in my 2016. It only gets about 5k a year on it.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, buckeyeguy142 said:

I get 2 free oil changes each year, i'll call the dealership 

I think the first two “freebies” are provided by GM not the dealership, there is a service plan offered through dealerships that you may have (they try to up-sell all their service, extended warranty plans when you purchase the vehicle) that give you two a year for an agreed upon time/miles but they are not free unless your dealership did this as an incentive which they most certainly can do. If you got that, that’s awesome!

15 hours ago, qwank said:

Fine, don't believe me, I only deal with this everyday at the dealership. How do you explain the original poster's situation then? :lurk:

And you are a mechanic?

Please explain then 

• Like 1

Just now, qwank said:

Yes, sir.  Shop foreman at a Chevy dealer.  Like I said, we see this all the time.  

I realized this was true. I change my oil once a year because the truck doesnt see much driving.  I chaged my oil 4 months ago. Its moved maybe 500 miles and im in the 60ish% oil life. So that only makes sense

• Like 2