Most reliable 2500 gas motor Year

most reliable 2500 by years  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2007 through 2019 are all intents the same engine.  2011 is when the L96 used today came out but the only difference from an LY6 is bigger injectors and flex fuel programming.  Out of any I don't like 99 and 2000 with the dinky camshaft and cast iron heads.  Still reliable but meh and old lol.  So not voting... they are all fine.

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Like 2

If you take care of the 2010 and prior they are just as reliable as the 2011 up trucks.  People that have issues also never do any kind of maintenance either.  07 through 19 all use a magna transfer case along with a 10.5" 14 bolt or 11.5 depending if it's a 2500 or 3500.  The front diff went to actually having a diff cover in 2011 but the internals are pretty well all identical... The only improvements were a stronger frame and better front end components.  

I own both and can't kill my 05 in over 200000 miles of beating it on sandy clay roads full of hopes that turn to pea soup with moisture its entire life so you pavement pounders will be fine.

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Like 1

Only issues i've heard of is the rear exhaust manifold bolts breaking from heat cycles.

My local muffler shop had a few fleet 2011+ 6.0 with broken exhaust manifold bolts.

Never had any problems with my 2006 8.1 litre motor and allison transmission. Not common but a great combination. I loved that truck. About 200,000 km when I sold it. Should have kept it.....

On 1/5/2019 at 12:27 AM, Gagliano7 said:

All the gm trucks 4.8,5.3 and 6.0 has the exhaust manifold bolt problems.

And there is a simple, low cost solution for that....

http://kralautoparts.com/parts

Edited by Cowpie

• 3 weeks later...

Some extra input is the 2011+ trucks have a different ECU and makes some custom tuning more difficult that previous. Overall they can all have some mild issues but overall great across the board. My 2005 work truck has just over 200k and I've replaces a water pump gasket, steam port oring, repaired 5 broken exhaust manifold bolts, and an evap purge solenoid. Also anything prior to 2007ish 4x4 do a t-case case saver plate as preventative work. 

My 2012 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 has been bullet proof.  Outside of regular PM (oil & filter changes, tire rotations, etc...) in 146,000 miles I haven't done anything except 1 brake job, 1 set of shocks and 3 sets of tires (72,000 on OEM, 65,000 on Mastercraft Courser AXT, now have Falken Wildpeak A/T3W's which will be my go to tire going forward).  

Edited by AronB