Goodyear SRA snow performance?

As someone who has driven with them in snow for 3 winters- They are okay in snow, I would say better in snow than on just wet pavement. You could drive them to work in a couple inches of snow on paved roads. If you plan to drive off-road in deep snow, then buy something else.

I still got rid of them this fall for some new Cooper Discoverer AT3's just before 30k miles.

Edited by aseibel

41 minutes ago, aseibel said:

As someone who has driven with them in snow for 3 winters- They are okay in snow, I would say better in snow than on just wet pavement. You could drive them to work in a couple inches of snow on paved roads. If you plan to drive off-road in deep snow, then buy something else.

I still got rid of them this fall for some new Cooper Discoverer AT3's just before 30k miles.

Agree! They did their job in the snow (I made it home at least), but rain performance was not good. I got 24k miles out of my set on my '15 Sierra and then went with the GY All-Terrain Adventure. On my '18 I took them off at 1,800 miles for some Cooper AT3 4S' and have been extremely happy so far.

Nothing beats a winter tire in the winter. 

I highly suggest a second set of wheels with winter tires.

I tried my OEM Continentals in the first snowfall of the year, and I got where I was going, but the truck did not feel very sure footed.  Accelerating in 2WD was exceptionally poor.

Take those SRAs you paid for, and put them on the shelf until spring. 

The SRA much like the Rancho (Tenneco) shocks that come from the factory on the K2s.....  leave much to be desired.

They are more of a highway tread.

All or Mud Terrain treads will provide better results especially in the Northeast where you live.

I just got a new 18 SLT premium plus with 275/55/20 sra's, haven't gotten any snow yet. wondering how the Goodyear SRA perform in snow?

First off, congrats, great trucks. I’ve got same truck, ditch them before it’s toooooo late. Has nothing to do with the quality of your GMC just the tires are extreme garbage in all elements. If you’re looking to drive in the snow then I’d highly recommend a dedicated winter/snow tire. AT tires are good in all weather but not great in just one and even with the snowflake.

Dedicated winter setup and another for the other three seasons.

Sent from above

Dedicated winter tire setup is such a waste of money for 95% of the lower 48 states.

In any sort of remotely populated area, most public roadways are plowed and salted. What is the real world amount of days that you are driving on snow covered roads. Seriously. I’ve extensively driven in 3 snow climates. NJ, VT, and ND. In ND they don’t salt the roads because it’s too cold.

real world how many full days out of the year you’re actually driving on actual snow covered roads

NJ - like 5

vt 10-20

ND 20-30

So some people suggest you shell out like $1600+ for a dedicated winter tire/wheel setup. And then you have to jack the truck up and take them on and off each year. All that for what, a few days of driving on snow?

This is besides the fact, that snow tires only do one thing. They allow you to drive faster in snow. Take one vehicle and stop from 40mph in 100ft with snow tires, and you can accomplish the same task at likely 30mph with all seasons. Any sort of traction advantage with snow tires can be compensated by slower driving unless it involves getting unstuck. Lets face it, our trucks are not getting stuck with all-seasons unless it’s some serious stuff you’re in. I’ve driven through 3ft thick snow on a flat surface with all-seasons on a half ton and it was not intertia plowing. I could stop and start with no problem.

A dedicated winter setup is for two types of people

-you have a 2wd vehicle

-you live in an area that sees so much snow that it’s just worth it to drive faster. Such as 20-30 days a year or more.

other than that, waste of time and money

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

Dedicated winter tire setup is such a waste of money for 95% of the lower 48 states.

you are dead on. Most people only have to get out of their driveway and maybe their side street the morning after a storm and then they are on plowed roads the rest of the way. The 1 or 2 really bad storms we get every year, everyone's boss says they can come in late or stay home. Think about all the FWD vehicles on the road. Why would we need special tires for a 4WD truck?

Unless you are constantly driving on unplowed town roads, or you live in the mountains or the lake effect snow belt in the UP, most other people do not need snow tires.

So for the AVERAGE 1/2 ton truck owner, the stock crappy SRA's will get them to work and back home if they drive within the weather conditions. But, I will be sure to wave at you as I pass you with my Cooper AT3's. (joke)

1 hour ago, truckguy82 said:

So some people suggest you shell out like $1600+ for a dedicated winter tire/wheel setup. And then you have to jack the truck up and take them on and off each year. All that for what, a few days of driving on snow?

This is besides the fact, that snow tires only do one thing. They allow you to drive faster in snow. Take one vehicle and stop from 40mph in 100ft with snow tires, and you can accomplish the same task at likely 30mph with all seasons.

-you have a 2wd vehicle

-you live in an area that sees so much snow that it’s just worth it to drive faster. Such as 20-30 days a year or more.

Winter tires perform better:

-On dry pavement, in very cold temperatures

-On wet pavement in cold temperatures

-On snow

-On ice

It's not only on snow covered roads you see a benefit.

Yes, smart driving strategies can prevent many accidents.  Traveling at a safe speed, and following at a safe distance are always a good idea.  However, sometimes when driving, you have to react to the poor decisions of other drivers.  Having more traction when responding to emergency events could literally save your life.  Like when some idiot on bald tires flies by you on the highway, changes lanes, loses control, and bounces off the median in front of you. 

But, you have a strong opinion, and I'm not going to change your mind.  That's fine.

Really though, I'm not spending a lot of coin on winter tires.  The tires cost me about $400.  I bought them used, after the previous owner used them for one winter.  Like the tires, the wheels they are mounted on were from my old truck.  I bought the wheels over 5 years ago.  Winter tires wear a little bit faster than all season highway tires, sure, but not so much so that I have to replace them every couple of years.  So, the money I spend on "faster tire wear" is nearly insignificant.  I change them myself, so there is no cost to the seasonal swap. 

Next, you claim winter tires are wasting my time.  I can mount my winter setup as fast, or faster than I could rotate 4 tires.  If you think rotating your tires is a waste of time, I really should just stop typing now I suppose.

Anyway, if my winter tires help me avoid one crash on the highway, on a dark winter night, far from home, I'd say they were worth a lifetime of seasonal tire changes. 

Have a safe winter,

rkj__

Edited by rkj__
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, rkj__ said:

Winter tires perform better:

-On dry pavement, in very cold temperatures

-On wet pavement in cold temperatures

-On snow

-On ice

It's not only on snow covered roads you see a benefit.

Yes, smart driving strategies can prevent many accidents.  Traveling at a safe speed, and following at a safe distance are always a good idea.  However, sometimes when driving, you have to react to the poor decisions of other drivers.  Having more traction when responding to emergency events could literally save your life.  Like when some idiot on bald tires flies by you on the highway, changes lanes, loses control, and bounces off the median in front of you. 

But, you have a strong opinion, and I'm not going to change your mind.  That's fine.

Really though, I'm not spending a lot of coin on winter tires.  The tires cost me about $400.  I bought them used, after the previous owner used them for one winter.  Like the tires, the wheels they are mounted on were from my old truck.  I bought the wheels over 5 years ago.  Winter tires wear a little bit faster than all season highway tires, sure, but not so much so that I have to replace them every couple of years.  So, the money I spend on "faster tire wear" is nearly insignificant.  I change them myself, so there is no cost to the seasonal swap. 

Next, you claim winter tires are wasting my time.  I can mount my winter setup as fast, or faster than I could rotate 4 tires.  If you think rotating your tires is a waste of time, I really should just stop typing now I suppose.

Anyway, if my winter tires help me avoid one crash on the highway, on a dark winter night, far from home, I'd say they were worth a lifetime of seasonal tire changes. 

Have a safe winter,

rkj__

My opinion is entirely about value. The cost and time vs the benefit. you had some old wheels laying around and found some used tires.

Yeah I might throw a set on too if they basically costed nothing

Maybe you drive more in snow than a normal person as well, further increasing your value.

I did say 95%, not 100%

• Like 1

I'm in your 5%, and I would certainly have incurred a repair bill costing way more than my new winter tyres on used rims by now.

I live in the Okanagan region of Canada, no it doesn't snow all year, it has been above or around freezing much of December but that can be worse than a snow covered road due to ice.

Any traction related accidents can be alleviated if you drive slowly enough, I'm not driving that slowly any time of year.

I've responded to quite a few accidents in our area as a volunteer firefighter, 95% of the time people's luck is incredible (e.g. car gets wedged on a tree rather than continuing a few hundred feet down to the lake).

The tyre manufacturers here advertise that changing to winters below 7 deg C is best, sure it is & a dedicated set of semi slick racing rubber for a dry summer day would grip better than all terrains, that's not practical either.

As others have said it just depends on your climate & roads.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In any sort of remotely populated area, most public roadways are plowed and salted. What is the real world amount of days that you are driving on snow covered roads. Seriously. I’ve extensively driven in 3 snow climates. NJ, VT, and ND. In ND they don’t salt the roads because it’s too cold.

real world how many full days out of the year you’re actually driving on actual snow covered roads

NJ - like 5
vt 10-20
ND 20-30

This is besides the fact, that snow tires only do one thing. They allow you to drive faster in snow. Take one vehicle and stop from 40mph in 100ft with snow tires, and you can accomplish the same task at likely 30mph with all seasons. Any sort of traction advantage with snow tires can be compensated by slower driving unless it involves getting unstuck. Lets face it, our trucks are not getting stuck with all-seasons unless it’s some serious stuff you’re in. I’ve driven through 3ft thick snow on a flat surface with all-seasons on a half ton and it was not intertia plowing. I could stop and start with no problem.

-you have a 2wd vehicle

I live in the mountains of California, we regularly get 2+ feet of snow during the day or overnight. just this next week we are looking at possibly receiving 100 inches of snow. the roads here do not get salted, they just lay down cinders. sometimes we can be driving on snow for a week or two straight. And let me tell you, driving through a foot plus of snow with all seasons is not very fun. once it's not snow it's wet/icy or dry with patches of ice.

A dedicated winter setup is definitely the best thing to have where I'm at and it really isn't too expensive or that much work. takes a whole 30-45 minutes Max to swap out all 4 wheels?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk