Purchase advice needed

Hey all, new guy here.

I have a 2009 F150 XLT that is breaking me.  I am looking to get rid of it and am looking at a 2011 Sierra.  It has 133K, 4.8L Nevada edition.  Can I get some opinions and info on what is good or bad and what to expect.  I have owned Sierras in the past, but fell to the dark side.  Below is a link to the truck. Price is kind of irrelevant as we are upside down on the current truck.

Thank you for any advice or info you can give me.

http://www.motorcitykewanee.com/VehicleDetails/used-2011-GMC-Sierra_1500-Crew_Cab_Short_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_SL-Kewanee-IL/3351858193

It shows well, clean but that is no guarantee of future reliability. 

The price is relevant to me and should be to you IMO.

This truck is about 30 K miles over the average for the year.

The owners manual here https://my.gm.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2011/gmc/sierra_1500/2011_gmc_sierra_owner.pdf

What shape are the brakes and tires?

This is what I would expect for service.

New spark plugs at or around 100 K miles.

Coolant flush and change at least once.

2 transmissions services minimum with that mileage.

Differentials and transfer case fluids changed 2 times.

Regular oil changes.

There is no way to know about the service history if there are no service records.

Look at the radiator tank for good color, not cloudy.

Trans fluid pink in color, not brown.

All lots change the oil and filter usually.

Buying used vehicles is a crap shoot IMO.

I have bought used all my life but I buy them 3 or 4 years old with  about 40 K miles and do a through look over and test drive.

Good Luck

:)

10 hours ago, thebull55 said:

Hey all, new guy here.

I have a 2009 F150 XLT that is breaking me.  I am looking to get rid of it and am looking at a 2011 Sierra.  It has 133K, 4.8L Nevada edition.  Can I get some opinions and info on what is good or bad and what to expect.  I have owned Sierras in the past, but fell to the dark side.  Below is a link to the truck. Price is kind of irrelevant as we are upside down on the current truck.

Thank you for any advice or info you can give me.

http://www.motorcitykewanee.com/VehicleDetails/used-2011-GMC-Sierra_1500-Crew_Cab_Short_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_SL-Kewanee-IL/3351858193

Price is never irrelevant.

I'm sure you didn't post looking for financial advice but getting deeper in debt for trading a 10 yr old truck for an 8 yr old truck  will only increase your financial woes.  What types of problems are you experiencing, (other than understandably wanting a change) with your F150?  I discovered a long while back that sticking with a vehicle until you're no longer "upside down" is the most effective way to break into driving new vehicles.  

1 hour ago, diyer2 said:

It shows well, clean but that is no guarantee of future reliability. 

The price is relevant to me and should be to you IMO.

This truck is about 30 K miles over the average for the year.

The owners manual here https://my.gm.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2011/gmc/sierra_1500/2011_gmc_sierra_owner.pdf

What shape are the brakes and tires?

This is what I would expect for service.

New spark plugs at or around 100 K miles.

Coolant flush and change at least once.

2 transmissions services minimum with that mileage.

Differentials and transfer case fluids changed 2 times.

Regular oil changes.

There is no way to know about the service history if there are no service records.

Look at the radiator tank for good color, not cloudy.

Trans fluid pink in color, not brown.

All lots change the oil and filter usually.

Buying used vehicles is a crap shoot IMO.

I have bought used all my life but I buy them 3 or 4 years old with  about 40 K miles and do a through look over and test drive.

Good Luck

:)

Thank you, that is some great information.  I am looking at the truck on Tuesday.  The dealer is someone we have done business with 10+ years, so he is generally straight forward with me.

I mostly wanted to know what to look at/for.  You gave some great advice.  Thank you.

40 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I'm sure you didn't post looking for financial advice but getting deeper in debt for trading a 10 yr old truck for an 8 yr old truck  will only increase your financial woes.  What types of problems are you experiencing, (other than understandably wanting a change) with your F150?  I discovered a long while back that sticking with a vehicle until you're no longer "upside down" is the most effective way to break into driving new vehicles.  

Actually, I am a science guy and a financial moron so I do appreciate the advice.

The truck I have now needs:

Power steering pump

Lower steering linkage and possibly upper.

4 wheel drive is gone. Looking at either something in the transfer case or (more likely) needs complete rebuild.

A few other minor things.

I am just at the point of not being sure I want to put all that money into it.  We have already done, calipers, rotors, exhaust manifold gaskets and had broken front springs and struts.  I also have started to be concerned with the phasers and such.  I do not have the best luck, obviously.

I don't want to bury is much further into a hole, but I feel like we are just throwing bad money at this point.

Thank you for the great advice though, gives me a lot to think about.

Maintaining an older vehicle can be expensive so we usually trade it in to prevent the seemingly never-ending bleed of money.  The previous owner of the truck you are looking to buy probably had the same belief.  His/her  truck was starting to cost.   Have you had an objective assessment from a qualified mechanic as to the cost of bringing your current truck to safe and complete operating condition?  The cost of repairs are probably equal or less than the hit you will take in trade-in value.  The money you save by keeping your current truck will be in the cost difference between the two trucks and the unknown repairs that will come with your new to you truck.  The value in the trade you are considering will be in having a new to you truck but I wouldn't recommend it with the idea of gaining any financial advantage.

I got estimates from the Ford dealer I have always used.  Some of it he said they wouldn't know until the got into it.

I guess right now I am just frustrated.  I pulled out of our driveway so the guy plowing could get to the whole drive and I got stuck trying to get back in the driveway, while my wife's Rogue did not. 

Thank you for giving me alot to think about before I make any moves.

13 hours ago, thebull55 said:

...looking at a 2011 Sierra.  It has 133K, 4.8L Nevada edition.

With that hitch ball on the back you know it's towed something so make sure the running gear is in good shape.  The 4.8 is the smallest V8 and does not have AFM, that is a good thing for reliability and lower horsepower and torque for towing.  However, you could simply swap in a 5.3 crank and have a 5.3!  She's 4WD but that looks like a single speed transfer case, no 4LO.

Truck is lower option model, so it's simpler and less stuff to break or maintain over the long haul.

If the CarFax shows any service history, contact that particular place and kindly ask them for a copy of the service records or they can just tell you over the phone.

• Like 1

Not knowing your financial situation or your vehicle needs I can't comment but, a few questions and thoughts..

1) Do you need a fullsize pickup truck or could you goto a Sedan or Crossover? Trucks are awfully expensive and expensive to maintain, if you could get into a newer vehicle with less miles for the same money that is not a truck maybe you could get ahead. This 2011 Sierra will probably be better than a F150 (there is a reason Ford is the best selling truck and I think a big part of it is that they don't hold up so Ford guys have to buy new trucks more than others) but, with 113k miles on the clock you may have some repairs inline...

2) Can you afford a newer truck with less miles? Might be better to pay more up front and save on maintenance later.

3) Do you drive many  miles? If not and you have at least decent credit look at leasing a new truck or SUV for a 36-39 months to give you some time to catch up without any repairs.. Last lease I did was a 2016 LT Silverado DBL Cab with a $49k sticker and for a 39k mile 39 month lease I paid $340 sign and drive...

4) Until you get a price on fixing the F150 and a trade in value vs. what you owe on it it's hard to say what your best bet is...

6 hours ago, swathdiver said:

With that hitch ball on the back you know it's towed something so make sure the running gear is in good shape.  The 4.8 is the smallest V8 and does not have AFM, that is a good thing for reliability and lower horsepower and torque for towing.  However, you could simply swap in a 5.3 crank and have a 5.3!  She's 4WD but that looks like a single speed transfer case, no 4LO.

Truck is lower option model, so it's simpler and less stuff to break or maintain over the long haul.

If the CarFax shows any service history, contact that particular place and kindly ask them for a copy of the service records or they can just tell you over the phone.

Truck has 4 lo, pull back for 4 hi and push forward for neutral and 4 lo.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jhplak325 said:

Truck has 4 lo, pull back for 4 hi and push forward for neutral and 4 lo.

Much obliged!  I see it now upon closer inspection.  These old eyes...

Edited by swathdiver

6 hours ago, Imcrazy said:

Not knowing your financial situation or your vehicle needs I can't comment but, a few questions and thoughts..

1) Do you need a fullsize pickup truck or could you goto a Sedan or Crossover? Trucks are awfully expensive and expensive to maintain, if you could get into a newer vehicle with less miles for the same money that is not a truck maybe you could get ahead. This 2011 Sierra will probably be better than a F150 (there is a reason Ford is the best selling truck and I think a big part of it is that they don't hold up so Ford guys have to buy new trucks more than others) but, with 113k miles on the clock you may have some repairs inline...

2) Can you afford a newer truck with less miles? Might be better to pay more up front and save on maintenance later.

3) Do you drive many  miles? If not and you have at least decent credit look at leasing a new truck or SUV for a 36-39 months to give you some time to catch up without any repairs.. Last lease I did was a 2016 LT Silverado DBL Cab with a $49k sticker and for a 39k mile 39 month lease I paid $340 sign and drive...

4) Until you get a price on fixing the F150 and a trade in value vs. what you owe on it it's hard to say what your best bet is...

1) I owned a smaller truck previously (Colorado) and it didn't really suit our needs.  I haul a smallish trailer 5-6 times a year and haul building materials fairly often.  The short bed barely suits that at times.

2) We are looking at several options, including trying to see if we can go newer.  The main issue is that there just isn't a ton of money there.  That is also a problem with the repairs the current truck needs.

3)We live in the boonies and drive 80 miles round trip to work 5 days a week, so the lease we would get killed on mileage unfortunately.  I would love that option if it worked.

I am going back to the Ford dealer in the am to talk about more details.  He wanted to look into the 4 wheel drive issue a bit more.  His buess without tearing into the truck was $2000 - $3000, but felt it could be more depending on what they find.  We just put $2000 this year in exhaust manifold gaskets and front springs.  I just get the gut feeling that this is turning into a money pit.  Granted, there are no guarantees that another used truck won't have issues.

From my understanding, we are somewhere in the ballpark of $2000 on the wrong side with that truck.  It is just the decision of which direction to go with that money at this point I guess.