2018 Muffler Delete - Straight Pipe Work?

Hi All, 

Looking to do the muffler delete on our 2018 5.3 Crew Cab.   I've read a ton and think this will be the best solution for what I am looking for, just a bit more V8 sound.   Will be keeping the flapper and rear resonator in place, just replacing the muffler with a section of pipe.   I did the rear resonator delete on our last truck, a 2016 5.3, which I liked as well.  

I know the muffler inlet/outlet are a bit offset.   My question is, has anyone just used a straight section of 2.75" ID pipe to replace the muffler?    I am thinking that the two sections of stock pipe can get close enough to a straight line once the muffler is removed to allow me to just use a 2.75" ID straight pipe without needing to bend a slight S into it, but wanted to see if anyone that had done this themselves had any experience with this.   I don't have a pipe bender.   

Thanks!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jacoby said:

Its gonna sound like ass

brilliant statement smh

as for how it will sound, it should sound fine. I have a dynomax bullet dumped right before the axle on a 6.2 and IMO it sounds great. quiet at idle , rumbles nice at acceleration, and screams at WOT. 

• Like 1

The modern exhaust system is a series of mufflers. The cats muffle a bit and the last one the resonator is a muffler. It done in a way to be less restricted. So eliminating the muffler will increase sound some but it wouldn’t be like there’s none on there. I did it for awhile it sounded fine. Of course some wouldn’t like it, that’s why there’s different brands of mufflers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

The modern exhaust system is a series of mufflers. The cats muffle a bit and the last one the resonator is a muffler. It done in a way to be less restricted. So eliminating the muffler will increase sound some but it wouldn’t be like there’s none on there. I did it for awhile it sounded fine. Of course some wouldn’t like it, that’s why there’s different brands of mufflers.

they only way these trucks are obnoxiously loud is with headers 

In my younger days I ran headers and glass packs all the way out the back. Car or truck didn’t matter. Did straights on diesels. I always lived in the country, no one close to wake up. In my late 50s I wanted it quieter with the exception of my old truck. It’s like a switch was hit and it became noise.

Yeah I'm going to leave that cat converter alone.   Just looking to lose the main muffler.   If I can do it with a straight pipe I'll do it in the driveway with a section of pipe and a couple good wide band clamps.    If it needs a bend I'll take it to a shop.   Just wanted to know if anyone had used a plain old straight section to replace the muffler or if it had to be bent to match the offset inlet/outlet. 

Anyone?

Consider a bypass instead of a straight pipe. Gives you the option of two modes. Just an idea.
I had a guy weld up a whole '70 Camaro exhaust for $200. He had to bend and weld.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Was calling around for 2.75" pipe and found a guy that would cut it, bend it up and weld it in for $90.    Got it done a couple days ago.   Left the flapper and resonator in, just lost the main muffler. 

Sounds fantastic.   Very deep but not super loud, just enough to hear the V8.   

I also clamped the flapper open, makes it sound better at idle and part throttle.   The v4 mode does get louder with the flapper clamped open, but I'm used to it since this is my 4th vehicle with an AFM/DOD V8.  This truck does mostly around town driving with the occasional long trip so I usually just put it in L5 to keep it out of V4 mode.  

Highly recommend this to anyone about to drop coin on an exhaust just for sound.   Guy who did it even said he's got people that come in and spend $900 or more that don't sound that good.   And he already had my money... :D

Ended up using 3" pipe and slipped it over the 2.75, welded the small gap shut.  Left a small weep hole in the bottom weld near the flapper, and it needs it.   Lots of water comes out on startup.   He said the water never makes it over the axle hump and collects there.   We do a lot of short drives so need to let it drain.    

image.png.261374fb363c69f2785df0a725210a53.png

Edited by TwoBallScrewBall
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2019 at 1:29 PM, TwoBallScrewBall said:

Just got quoted $150 by the local Meineke for a straight pipe installed...   seems very high to me.   

That is high.  I paid $50 to have my old worn out Flowmaster cut out and weld in the new Magnaflo I brought with me.   To show how prices changed, back 10 years ago I did the same thing when my first Flowmaster went bad and they only charged me $25.  They know they got you. Stinks but my welding skills suck.