Topper Questions

I am pretty sure i want a mid to upper quality fiberglass topper for my 2017 CC short bed. Here are questions that I was hoping could be answered by those that have more topper experience than I.

1. What are they called in your area (for used sales searching)? So far I have come up with topper, camper shell, bed cover and cap. 

2. What do they do for resale typically? For a decent one you are looking at $1,800 to $2,500. Can you get half that when you sell/trade in?

3. What does it cost to paint one? I called an area shop and they said $650 or so if minimal cleanup was needed. I can't see how that would take more than 4-5 hours, but I build bridges and runways and have minimal autobody experience. 

4. I'm having a hard time finding a used one. I've searched Craigslist almost daily for a month and have seen 2 2014-18 short bed tops for sale. I've searched for used inventory in the area and come up with nothing. I am getting ready to search for graphite metallic trucks for sale and cold call seeing if they want to sell the cap only to me. Any advise other than keep looking?

5. Am I better off buying new? I despise buying new, paying the sales tax, etc. But by the time I get one that works for me (say half price of new), get it color matched etc I don't think I am going to save more than $500. And it sounds like (from the shops I have called) that if I get the accessories I want when I buy it new I'll get them under the warranty, get them mounted and pay approximately 1/2 the price vs. buying them and putting them on my used top. FYI, I'm looking at at least roof racks, potentially flip up windows and I think it would be cool to have a key fob controlled back window. 

If anyone in a state bordering Colorado wants to sell a color matched graphite metallic ping me and we can talk. 

I am pretty sure i want a mid to upper quality fiberglass topper for my 2017 CC short bed. Here are questions that I was hoping could be answered by those that have more topper experience than I.

1. What are they called in your area (for used sales searching)? So far I have come up with topper, camper shell, bed cover and cap. 

2. What do they do for resale typically? For a decent one you are looking at $1,800 to $2,500. Can you get half that when you sell/trade in?

3. What does it cost to paint one? I called an area shop and they said $650 or so if minimal cleanup was needed. I can't see how that would take more than 4-5 hours, but I build bridges and runways and have minimal autobody experience. 

4. I'm having a hard time finding a used one. I've searched Craigslist almost daily for a month and have seen 2 2014-18 short bed tops for sale. I've searched for used inventory in the area and come up with nothing. I am getting ready to search for graphite metallic trucks for sale and cold call seeing if they want to sell the cap only to me. Any advise other than keep looking?

5. Am I better off buying new? I despise buying new, paying the sales tax, etc. But by the time I get one that works for me (say half price of new), get it color matched etc I don't think I am going to save more than $500. And it sounds like (from the shops I have called) that if I get the accessories I want when I buy it new I'll get them under the warranty, get them mounted and pay approximately 1/2 the price vs. buying them and putting them on my used top. FYI, I'm looking at at least roof racks, potentially flip up windows and I think it would be cool to have a key fob controlled back window. 

If anyone in a state bordering Colorado wants to sell a color matched graphite metallic ping me and we can talk. 

Don’t know about where you can find a used one other than your local listings but trading in you vehicle chance are you’ll get nothing for it on trade in.

Sent from above

I just bought an A.R.E Toolmaster top. It's color matched, toolboxes on both sides,  ladder rack, LED interior lights, T-handles keyed to the truck and it has keyless entry ($480 option). Mine was right @ $4000 and it took almost six weeks to get it. It's a nice piece. Wasn't thrilled with the price but if you want nice things, you gotta pay. 

If you're not looking for tool boxes, I'd seriously look at the A.R.E. "Z" series. It's a good-looking top. Leer is another good top company. 

As far as resale, a lot of top shops will offer a deal to sell it for you on consignment. Figure around half your money back if you keep it nice. 

20190113_161642.jpg

Love my new diamondback HD with tie downs man. Definitely pricey but I can stack up to 1600 lbs on this bad boy and it's water tight. Plus I like the look. Lifetime warranty and tough as nails. Lots of options out there.. Good luck! 1b192eaa8e7e72851a4e33222cb2d040.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Just realized you weren't open to a bed cover, more in the market for a camper.

That's a great looking tonneau, who makes it and how much is it?

I like the color of that truck, first thing that grabbed me when I went to trade my '14 double cab for a crew was that color.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

That's a great looking tonneau, who makes it and how much is it?

I like the color of that truck, first thing that grabbed me when I went to trade my '14 double cab for a crew was that color.

Thanks, made by diamondback bed covers. Theyre reinforced aluminum. Best built bed cover they make hands down. They spray them with linex and the warranty is no BS. Range from 1500 to 2300. What I like is I have watertight storage and a flatbed on top that can handle a beating.

I hear ya.. Thanks! Not gonna lie, I won mine lol but I'll buy the next one when I get another truck. It's alot of change for a cover for sure!

Holy mackerels. For that, I'll hold out for a cap/topper!

Looks great though. Thanks for sharing! Much appreciated.

I ordered a new Leer 100xl right after I bought my 2017. The color is somewhat unique and I figured my chance of finding a used one was slim to zero. 

Mine was $2000 installed with roof carpet and led interior light. 

9F3814B2-34CE-4D39-92AD-3F8489375CDB.jpeg

• Like 2

Love the Diamondback Covers, but I really want the cargo capacity and I never haul anything too big. I like the graphite paint/black liner look. Its way better than the Amazon Special bed cover I’m currently rocking. 

Its- I’m not needing the Toolmaster, but ARE is on the shortlist. I just want water resistant/tight. 

Skippy- if you’re anywhere near CO I asked first. 

Bike- if you’re near Denver can you share who you bought it from?  Do you like the Leer? Think it will last 100k miles? Can you put any weight on the roof?

14 hours ago, benny12 said:

Are.  Leer, snugtop,  are the best in they are in the 2002 $3,000 range new you can check a dealer that might have some that he's traded in when he sells his new ones. I will keep my eye open in the Kansas City area for you just in case but you're better off just buying a new one and getting exactly what you want if the money isn't a real big deal but like it said your going going to save a couple hundred bucks if you have to do all this extra stuff to it. And all of the terminology you were using is correct. If you can zoom in on my truck on my profile that a a ARE top I bounced back and forth between a.r.e and Lear. I personally like the smooth look on the sides. I had one repainted years ago for about $500 and it was a lousy job and I ended up getting a new one five months later anyway. If the body shop doesn't use the right preparation and right paint it will crack and come off. Good luck and I'll look around some of our listings. Also check Facebook Marketplace I heard is taking over a lot of Craigslist stuff

Around here, we get truck caps from Lakeland.

http://www.lakelandtruckcaps.com/index.iml

You can get a quote via e-mail just to compare to what you are seeing around you.

My dad just got a brand new fiberglass one on is Ram. I'll ask him what he spent on it.

When I bought my previous truck, it had a topper on it that I didn't want. I can't remember now, but I think they took $400 off the sale price to keep it and sell it themselves. (that truck was 8 years old when i got it) So they have some value in the re-sale market but not much. You'd be better off selling it privately if you ever get rid of the truck.

Edited by aseibel