Downsized from a full size?

malamuteman

I have a 2017 1500 z71. The truck is great looking as it is lifted and has big tires. As for performance I’m unimpressed. I’m looking to downsize to a zr2 diesel possibly the bison. Power wise they seem the same but the zr2 is lighter. The zr2 would fit in the garage and turn better than the z71. A uturn in the z71 is actually a 3 point turn. Should save me a little on fuel. My only concern is space. The zr2 is definitely smaller. Wondering if anyone downsized and what was your experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I upsized from a Colorado. If you don't get a crew cab Colorado you will never be able to fit anyone, including children in the back of a double cab. I had a crew cab v6 collie and I loved it to a double cab 1500. I upgraded purely for the look, the v8 motor and the towing and bed capacities. The fuel consumption was much better in the Collie but obviously wasn't as powerful.

If your having performance anxiety, think about getting the Silverado a street tune. GM is extremely restricted with the capabilities of these engines and transmission. My tuner in Jacksonville has gotten many of us truck drivers great performance increases than the stock tune. A good tuner will help. Just be careful who you choose, you could look to pay within the range of 400 to 500 bucks for a fantastic tune. There's a lot of people out there that will charge much cheaper but don't know what they are doing.

Also don't ignore the lift kit and bigger tires. That is going to kill performance, fuel consumption and turning radius. Maybe try going back to stock height and wheels if you wanna hang on to the 1500

Good luck with whatever choice you make. Ask the dealer if they will give you a one day test drive in the collie and make the best decision you can.

Edited by jaxcam02

Ive downsized years ago.  If its due to a lifestyle change (I was commuting far for work and changed careers so no longer required a truck) than I say go for it.  If you plan to downsize for what I'd say are trivial reasons, you will soon hate the smaller vehicle.  I have since gone back to a full size truck and will likely never be without a full sized truck again.  If anything I'd say get a cheap used vehicle and pay cash for it.  Let the truck sit and get used when needed.  

I just up-sized from a 2016 RCSB WT to a 2018 Crew Cab LT. Both 5.3, 6 speed, 3.42 rear, 2 wheel drive, stock 17" tires and wheels.

Loved the RCSB for playing and handling, but it rode like a truck and had basically only had room for two. Turning radius was great and you could bump the throttle and cut that circle down smaller if you wanted to.

Crew Cab rides like the living room couch, is quieter, and at 1,500 miles fuel economy is 1 MPG better than the RCSB that had 38,500 Miles on it when traded in. There is also another living room couch between the 2 full doors behind the front 2 doors giving us room for whatever we need to haul people wise. At 23.5 inches longer than the RCSB parking and turning are a little bit of a challenge but nothing to serious. My truck  is a nature freak and sleeps under the stars so garage issues are not a problem.

If you look at the 6, 8, and soon 10 speed transmissions on these trucks the purpose seems to be to keep the engine in a very small RPM range for fuel efficiency just like diesel trucks. Jacking your truck up and putting bigger tires on it have put you out of the designed power band GM has spend millions of dollars trying to find and perfect. Depending on your tires size, 4.11 or 4.86 gears would probably be your best bet to restore power if you can stomach that expense. If you raise a Colorado and put bigger tires on it your fuel economy and power will be disappointing too unless you re-gear.

I had a 2008 Canyon before my 2018 Sierra.  I loved the Canyon.  In many ways, it was right-sized for my life.  I used all its space, and all it's power from time to time, but it always did what I needed it to.  I also used it off road on some tight trails, so it's smaller size was a definite asset.  The midsize was more fun to drive in the city, as it felt lighter, and more nimble, even with a 4" lift. 

I replaced it due to not off-roading as much anymore, and wanting a lower mileage vehicle for long trips with the trailer.  I got a Sierra, as its replacement for a few reasons. 

1.  Passenger comfort (wife did not like seats in the Canyon)

2.  Rear cab layout in the Canyon was not to my liking (no flat, or nearly flat load floor for stuff or dogs)

3.  Great deals on full size trucks 

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:05 AM, malamuteman said:

I have a 2017 1500 z71. The truck is great looking as it is lifted and has big tires. As for performance I’m unimpressed. I’m looking to downsize to a zr2 diesel possibly the bison. Power wise they seem the same but the zr2 is lighter. The zr2 would fit in the garage and turn better than the z71. A uturn in the z71 is actually a 3 point turn. Should save me a little on fuel. My only concern is space. The zr2 is definitely smaller. Wondering if anyone downsized and what was your experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would take one on an extended test drive if possible.  Crew cab for sure.  The Colorado crew has almost identical rear legroom to a Silverado Double Cab so keep that in mind if you have a crew Silverado now as you would sacrifice lots of rear interior space.  If you have a Double cab now, its pretty much a wash.  Basically, make sure that the space it provides is something you can live with. 

Box size.  I can fit quite a bit in the 5ft2in box.  Two sets of tire/wheel assemblies with a trifold cover folded all the way up.  But, if you need the 6ft2in, the only ZR2 with that option is the extended cab, which is basically a regular cab Colorado with jump seats/rear storage.  Kids would probably hate it.   

The diesel.  If horsepower is a priority, get the V6.  If diesel emissions equipment isn't your thing, get the V6.  If you want some stump pulling torque and 24(winter)-28(summer)mpg consistently average, the diesel is a sweetheart.  I have a crew Duramax Colorado with 24k on it and I love mine.  I came from 4 fullsize trucks prior, so far this truck being a tie for my favorite.  A note on MPGs, they can vary from what I've posted, but those are what I do since owning it.  This thing can do 30-32mpg on a long trip all day long, and that's going 70-75mph for some good distances.  I'm all stock powertrain and emissions. 

ZR2 is a monster setup.  If the Bison upgrade is too much, GM does sell the skid plates and some other bits from the Bison package through the Chevrolet Performance catalog.  Just tooling with the build and price, a Duramax Bison ZR2 breaks $53k, including Bose and nav.  Otherwise, a ZR2 Diesel with Bose and Nav is $47,990msrp.  Bose is def. worth it at a minimum.  ZR2 comes loaded otherwise.  Trim wise its based on the Z71 trim, so leather, heated seats and wheels, power seats, etc.    

Edited by newdude

• 4 weeks later...

One topic you did not touch on was price.

In most cases a ZR2 will cost you more than a full size.

Incentives are not there on Colorado trucks compared to full size K2's and T1's

And your space concern is correct. Colorado is definitely smaller.

Your current truck is a sit on feel vs. sit in cockpit feel of a Colorado.