CB Antenna coax routing

I successfully routed my CB antenna coax through the rear cabin vent that is located behind the right rear passenger seat. 

I found this YouTube video by Fondupot's Garage helpful.  Easy Rear Seat Removal - 2014-2017 GM Double Cab

1st. Remove the four nuts and two 10mm bolts securing right rear passenger seat in place.

29lmSCtWSX63aqDBr5KzdRcrTKW-HIw9o6rNBuz4

2nd. Lift the seat up so the bracket on the back of the seat is clear of its receptacle.

XetS0_g9eluRFBzXRqdMW1GGsQIAqZLSj3nPXU0M

3rd. Gain access to the vent located behind the insulating material. 

Y4EZ-p77EPlOR66K4dNcccpIN43vwYDq-Xzv35ZM

4th. Route the coax down between the bed and the cab . I used a closed zip tie to grab the coax connector and pull it through the vent into the cab.

sAWLS-_3j8sU0TIG5Ukmb3zlU0562Dq5TridDtvM

9e6Guel24iGjJr9-oRACqFLtWF-uO3rCC28P-Ks8

5. Remove the plastic cap in the forward right side of the bed. Route the coax through the bed. My magnetic base antenna just sits in in the bed so it clears the garage door. 

There is enough slack in the coax to place the antenna on top of the cab for long distance travels.

WcFLE4Hq5VB6Dj3COF2EEIgIkmmcrNSq6mT1Xdbb

6. Route the coax underneath the floor mats up to the CB. That's my Uniden Bearcat 880.

YafzekhzbxRUREQNPuowq3B0jWbmcc5AcfBipDsx

After the install, I took my other toy out to play in the snow.                     Cheers to all. I hope this helps.

5vuNIKh0I71JBpya3wPgXLUk6Jao62-i7NfX4jmF

Edited by Stonewood
  • Like 1

I picked up the Uniden Bearcat 880 at a local truck stop two years ago during a mad snow storm. The unit serves me well. I would have bought the Uniden Bearcat 980, but they were sold out. I don't know anything about the Cobra 29 LX. After doing a quick search about them, a feature I like is its 4 pin mic connector. The Uniden Bearcat 880 has a six pin mic connector (only 4 pins are used). The female connector on the mic is problematic.  The 20 AWG solder connections on the female mic connector pins are prone to breaking off due to poor strain relief. I replaced the connector ($5) and soldered it together myself, and reinforced the back shell strain relief. A replacement mic on Amazon is approx $25.  The Cobra 29 LX 4 pin connector appears to be more robust in design. 

Tuning the SWR on the Uniden Bearcat 880 is simple. But the cheap magnetic antenna is fickle and I'm constantly tuning it.  I'm considering  buying a fire stick antenna, but it requires bolting and mounting to the truck. I'm not ready to start drilling holes in my new Sierra yet.

The Cobra 29 LX has a 4-color (Blue, Amber, Green and Red) LCD Dot-matrix Display.

The Uniden Bearcat 880 and 980 has a 7-color LCD Display; Light Blue, Green, White,  Red, Purple, Yellow and Dark Blue.

The Cobra 29 LX MAX comes equipped with Bluetooth, Playback, and iRadar App. This just might be my next CB!!     Let me know what CB you decide to get!

29LX_MAX_1500x.jpg?v=1532121842

Edited by Stonewood
grammar

21 hours ago, Stonewood said:

I picked up the Uniden Bearcat 880 at a local truck stop two years ago during a mad snow storm. The unit serves me well. I would have bought the Uniden Bearcat 980, but they were sold out. I don't know anything about the Cobra 29 LX. After doing a quick search about them, a feature I like is its 4 pin mic connector. The Uniden Bearcat 880 has a six pin mic connector (only 4 pins are used). The female connector on the mic is problematic.  The 20 AWG solder connections on the female mic connector pins are prone to breaking off due to poor strain relief. I replaced the connector ($5) and soldered it together myself, and reinforced the back shell strain relief. A replacement mic on Amazon is approx $25.  The Cobra 29 LX 4 pin connector appears to be more robust in design. 

Tuning the SWR on the Uniden Bearcat 880 is simple. But the cheap magnetic antenna is fickle and I'm constantly tuning it.  I'm considering  buying a fire stick antenna, but it requires bolting and mounting to the truck. I'm not ready to start drilling holes in my new Sierra yet.

The Cobra 29 LX has a 4-color (Blue, Amber, Green and Red) LCD Dot-matrix Display.

The Uniden Bearcat 880 and 980 has a 7-color LCD Display; Light Blue, Green, White,  Red, Purple, Yellow and Dark Blue.

The Cobra 29 LX MAX comes equipped with Bluetooth, Playback, and iRadar App. This just might be my next CB!!     Let me know what CB you decide to get!

I used a Firestick with a Pocket Mount to mount it in one of the bed pockets.....no holes drilled

I have an old Cobra 29 I got back in 1974.  I always wanted to put it in my truck. 

What do you guys use the CB for now a days?  Seems like not much out there from what I can tell and the days of call signs is out the window. LOL

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 9:34 AM, Stonewood said:

Thanks Stonewood for the review. I'm kind of leaning towards the Cobra 29 LX, not sure I need the MAX version. I had a Cobra 29 LTD Classic when I was younger, never had any problems with it. Both CB's have all the options I need, but will probably stick with the Cobra "brand" that has worked for me in the past. Gonna mate it up to a 4' firestick. Thanks again.

5 hours ago, WSFD6107 said:

Thanks Stonewood for the review. I'm kind of leaning towards the Cobra 29 LX, not sure I need the MAX version. I had a Cobra 29 LTD Classic when I was younger, never had any problems with it. Both CB's have all the options I need, but will probably stick with the Cobra "brand" that has worked for me in the past. Gonna mate it up to a 4' firestick. Thanks again.

WSFD6107, let me know how the fire stick installation goes. I'm ready to upgrade from my magnetic base antenna.

18 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

What do you guys use the CB for now a days?  Seems like not much out there from what I can tell and the days of call signs is out the window. LOL

Nick

It's cheap fun for me. I also listen to NOAA weather for winter updates and forecasts. There are a few regulars in my area that use their CB's to yip yap with. Some of them are using base stations. 

I see you're in NC. I lived over in Ecity. Left there 10 yrs ago. We really miss it. Spent many summer days in the OBX.

2 hours ago, Stonewood said:

Nick

It's cheap fun for me. I also listen to NOAA weather for winter updates and forecasts. There are a few regulars in my area that use their CB's to yip yap with. Some of them are using base stations. 

I see you're in NC. I lived over in Ecity. Left there 10 yrs ago. We really miss it. Spent many summer days in the OBX.

Cool, I'll have to get mine up and running.  I really need a good antenna and get it all dialed in.  Will have to find a good CB shop that can help.  I would think with all the truck stops around here there has got to be someone that can help.

Yeah, OBX is really cool.  It is a 3hr drive from me, so we just hit Wrightsville Beach which is only an hour away right down I-40.