Putco tail gate light bar

Well, im going on my 3rd warranty light. Each time its because of water intrusion.  I have completely sealed the last one and it lasted about 8 months and when I remote started the truck, the right signal flickers. But, i do LOVE it over any other light bar. Have to show its destroyed before they send me a new one. Hopefully the video i uploaded to youtube works.

20190215_171824.jpg

20190206_153412.jpg

Edited by RACERX7775
Added video link

4 minutes ago, alkrisma said:

yes, guilty. it was sub zero when I installed the light bar. It’s tight, got dialect grease and taped, come spring I’ll do it correctly with shrink tubing 

Atleast you came clean about your work. And the fact you plan to do the proper repair when it gets warm.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2019 at 10:22 PM, fatkid24 said:

I bought a connector that removes any wire cutting (unless you have reverse light on your bar) and it made this install super easy! It keeps all plugs open to use on the bumper and gives you the 4-pin connector you need.

Curt Manufacturing 55384 Trailer... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009FJ38Q?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I have a factory 7 pin and 4 pin connections in my bumper, but I do not want to lead the PUTCO wiring outside of my bumper to plug into the 4 pin. If I buy the 55384, will it work for me to just add an extra 4 pin connection behind the bumper cover where I can hide the wires? 

Also, I have read that sometimes trucks will read that a trailer is being towed if the connector is being used. I obviously do not want this to be reading as such since I am not towing. Can you speak to that if you have experience? Thanks.

Just get the curt T harness it won’t read any trailer connected warnings. You can also shorten up the lightbar harness it’s almost 10ft long I cut and soldered it to fit better under by the spare tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Jaychevy81 is correct. It doesn’t read any trailer is attached. And this allows you to connect behind the bumper, so you can hid the connection, as well as adds another 4 pin so you don’t lose that connection on the bumper. It’s the best solution I’ve seen for these light bars.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jaychevy81 said:

The Curt has the reverse wire which is white center pin that you have to T tap or I soldered to. It don’t have the reverse in the flat 4 pin connector.

OK thanks so much guys. First truck and still new to the wiring stuff. After I graduate, I want to take classes on welding and wiring/pinning because I think they seem like super useful skills. At least I do know how to solder already and will definitely go that route over a T tap :thumbs: