SiriusXM on a 2019

On 2/11/2019 at 3:39 PM, Booger T said:

You are correct, big surprise  to me. Ordered my Trail Boss before you could build one online so I and dealer didn't realize that there was no xm without getting the convenience II package. Was standard on my 10, 12, 14 and 15. Really Po'd me for a while. Over it now, got unlimited access on my on star so I can just stream from my I phone , Pandora, amazon music, xm app, or I heart. Does kind of suck that it's not there when you thought it would be.

I just got “surprised” by no xm in my 19, also. How is the unlimited on star working for you? I have unlimited data on my iPhone, so I’m wondering if I need to get the data plan on the on star, too...any thoughts? Right now, I’m streaming it on my phone and playing it through the truck on Bluetooth or Apple play. 

11 minutes ago, RobbyP said:

I just got “surprised” by no xm in my 19, also. How is the unlimited on star working for you? I have unlimited data on my iPhone, so I’m wondering if I need to get the data plan on the on star, too...any thoughts? Right now, I’m streaming it on my phone and playing it through the truck on Bluetooth or Apple play. 

If you’re just streaming through your phone, you can do that through the phone’s data plan without need for the truck to be connected. That is what I do.

You could also use your phone as a WiFi hot spot to connect the truck’s embedded apps and totally eliminate the need for the GM data plan altogether.

Personally I have the minimum data plan through GM just to do software updates and check the weather app on the truck. If I were to do any type of music streaming directly through the truck I would max that plan out instantly.

Do pandora and I heart radio on your phone, then Bluetooth. I quit XM when pandora came out, better quality and you can skip songs. If you like Rush (gasp) you can pick an AM station on I heart radio and not have to keep searching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, RobbyP said:

The wi fi hotspot in my truck works pretty good for the most part. I don't have unlimited data on my phone so I need the wi fi in truck to stream off my phone. In your case if you have unlimited data on your phone you would have no need for it in your truck also.

The truck uses at&t for the data plan. If your phone is a different carrier with poor service it might make sense to get the gm plan. I turn it on when we go camping in the mountains since Verizon has no service but att in in the truck does so we can check messages once a day.

If you do the gm plan, setup a Chevy rewards account and get points for paying the data plan

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sirius XM is garbage.  I had it for over 15 years, kept trying to cancel and they kept me on by constantly dropping the price.

Music has gotten worse on the music channels, and audio quality is subpar.  There are like 6 country channels and not one of them plays decent new country music.  It's either old stuff, or awful pop on The Highway.  Kept it for awhile for the CNN/Fox News, but got to the point I couldn't stand listening to either one of those in this political climate.  Went like a year without listening to it, then finally canceled altogether.

Get on the streaming bandwagon, it's way better.  MUCH better audio quality.  Uses very little data, you don't need an unlimited plan.  Podcasts are good too.  We pay $14.99 a month for an Amazon Music family plan, and pretty much all music ever is at the touch of a button.

One thing I'm not seeing in my 2019, is a Pandora app builtin to the infotainment system like it was in my 2017, it has Spotify instead.  Which is a shame, because Pandora is great too, but I guess if you are going into streaming, it makes Spotify an attractive option.  You don't even need your phone.

Like others have said, there are A LOT of things that are either missing or moved up-trim in the 2019's, I posted another thread on all the thing missing from my 2019 vs my old 2017.

Edited by scdaren

The XM is nice for areas where the cell service is crappy or non-existent. I also like the fact that it’s just “on” and well integrated into the system. I don’t have to pull out the phone or open an app to find a station or whatever. 

I agree the music is pretty repetitive and uninteresting at this point, but I keep it around for those reasons. Plus, as you said, you can get it for next to nothing if you try to cancel. :D

2 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

The XM is nice for areas where the cell service is crappy or non-existent. I also like the fact that it’s just “on” and well integrated into the system. I don’t have to pull out the phone or open an app to find a station or whatever. 

I agree the music is pretty repetitive and uninteresting at this point, but I keep it around for those reasons. Plus, as you said, you can get it for next to nothing if you try to cancel. :D

This is true... here in California the only areas we usually have that issue is in the mountains, where Sirius signals get blocked by the trees... and the mountains.

If you are paying more than about $6 a month, you are overpaying.  All you need to do is try to cancel to get it for around $50 a year.  I did that for like 8 years.

• Like 1

I was able to transfer a SXM lifetime subscription I purchased in 2004 on another receiver to this truck for $75. Even though I mostly listen to Pandora and podcasts, I still listen to SXM a few times a week. I haven't used AM or FM in 20+ years. Also, not paying for GM WiFi, have unlimited with VZN. If we go somewhere that can't get service, and connectivity is "absolutely" necessary, then I'd consider buying a small amount of data in that moment. But when camping, it's a bit preferred to be out of pocket and get a digital cleanse. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Now that XM is free online or on your phone if you have an active account, you can listen in your truck by downloading XM app to phone and use USB chord to sync with truck by using Android Auto and then blue tooth.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Reddracer said:

Now that XM is free online or on your phone if you have an active account, you can listen in your truck by downloading XM app to phone and use USB chord to sync with truck by using Android Auto and then blue tooth.

Yes. I just stream it from my phone. 

Really cool too. Still able to use Google maps and what not while I'm driving. 

As long as I can stream, I'm not gonna fool with using the free kit Sirius gives you.

I may consider a VAIS though.

• 4 months later...

Try the "Build Your Own" for the regular cab... There are no options that include XM at all. I went to the dealership and looked at the higher priced models, and even the 49k+ models(LT and RST) did not have XM. There were three models that had the Convenience II package and they were 50k+. I have a 2018 regular cab 4x4 with LS trim, chrome, XM, cruise. power everything, trailering, in Havana Brown Metallic. (no longer available in regular cab) I sent an email to Chevy to ask about this, and they sent me a link to both the four door models, and the 2500"s.... I'll stick with my 2018... A much better truck. The 2020's don't even have a console between the seats.

Edited by Tony D
added content