Modifying with shocks updates?

I picked up a brand new Sierra SLE (Kodiak) with the tow package a few days ago and it's quite a nice vehicle. I enjoy its 5.3, the comfort of it and what was included.

I've seen a lot of talk of swapping in new shocks to fix the stiff harsh rebound of the OEM shocks. What I haven't seen is anyone coming back to say how the new shocks worked out. I'm interested in changing over to a more supple smooth ride, I don't need to worry about towing or being loaded up in the bed.

In wondering what shocks people have changed to and how they've been working out compared to the oem failings. 

Edited by Grinnen

Much softer ride, better bounce control and the rebound is light years better than the stock shocks. 

On my way to work there is an intersection that, on the far side of it, there is like a 8-12" drop.  With the stock shocks when I run through at 25-30mph the truck will drop, rebound, drop, rebound again.  When I had the Bilsteins on my 2014 it would drop and the shocks would just eat the rebound.  It would settle after that without the second bounce.

• Like 1

I picked up a brand new Sierra SLE (Kodiak) with the tow package a few days ago and it's quite a nice vehicle. I enjoy its 5.3, the comfort of it and what was included.

I've seen a lot of talk of swapping in new shocks to fix the stiff harsh rebound of the OEM shocks. What I haven't seen is anyone coming back to say how the new shocks worked out. I'm interested in changing over to a more supple smooth ride, I don't need to worry about towing or being loaded up in the bed.

In wondering what shocks people have changed to and how they've been working out compared to the oem failings. 

Bilsteins are not softer riding shocks, they’re entry level performance enhancement shocks that blow away the stock in stability and less roll per turn but don’t ride that much smoother than stock, just better handling. The stock shocks can easily go out and give an unsteady ride quality but the Bilsteins are very reliable.

I have no knowledge about plows but know that if your truck is setup for plowing then you may want to check on your front coils, if they’re stiffer than normal 4x4’s then it’s going to not make a difference switching your shocks if the spring rate is much heavier for the weight of the plow

Sent from above

• Like 1

What shock would give a softer ride I wonder. Nothing can be worse than the original shocks sitting under it, maybe removing them altogether...

I just reposted my answer with an edit added about your front coils

Sent from above
  • Like 1

Being Coil Overs give best ride, I also wouldn’t invest to much in high dollar coil overs if using them in snow. Bilsteins may just be your best option cause they’re not at all expense. If you’re on stock suspension then you’ll need 4600’s. 5100’s are for leveled plus height.

Sent from above

I put Bilstein 5100's on my 2014 and it radically improved the ride.  As soon as the garbage Ranchos on my 2018 shoot craps I'm swapping them for Bilsteins as well.
Which trim level / original suspension option was your 2014?

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

there are a few possibilities of suspension there are z71 off road and z85 which is suppose to be a trailer towing suspension and there is also z60 which is suppose to be a sport suspension my 2014 1lt came with the z85 suspension and has road like a brick since i bought it recently my truck has been uncontrollable when hitting bumps the rear of the truck would jump sideways and scare the cramp out you. i have 85k miles on my truck and just installed 5100's on the truck front and rear does it ride better yes but the rear suspension will still jumps sideways on some bumps 

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/leaf-springs/truck-suv/chevy-gmc/silverado-sierra

Talk to them. 

12 minutes ago, silveradosid said:

there are a few possibilities of suspension there are z71 off road and z85 which is suppose to be a trailer towing suspension and there is also z60 which is suppose to be a sport suspension my 2014 1lt came with the z85 suspension and has road like a brick since i bought it recently my truck has been uncontrollable when hitting bumps the rear of the truck would jump sideways and scare the cramp out you. i have 85k miles on my truck and just installed 5100's on the truck front and rear does it ride better yes but the rear suspension will still jumps sideways on some bumps 

• Like 1

My WT spec also is Z85 & it's definitely a stiff ride but I don't have your issues with the rear end jumping around. I'm trying to tame the front.

I do have a cap on the back almost from day one, maybe that helped.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

• Like 1