$5 DIY Raptor Style Grille Lights

Bought a bag of 50 of these 3/4" LED marker lights to do my running boards.   Had 20 left over.   They cost about $0.60 each (bag of 50 of them is $29.99 on Amazon).

Wanted to put some Raptor style grille lights on our new Z71.   

Easy install.   removed the plastic trim cover that goes over the radiator/hood latch area, just plastic push pins hold it in place.  Then drilled two 1/4" or so holes down from the top of the grille / shroud area down into the top of the grille for a zip tie.   placed a 1/4" X 1/2" strip of 3M VHB double sided tape on the LED light and then used the zip tie in combination with the double sided tape to secure the lights to the top of the grille opening as you see in the pics.    

Ran all 3 grounds together and grounded them on the hood latch bolt.  Ran the +12 feed to the trailer fuse (#15 I think) in the fuse box. 

I like them a bit more spread out than a lot of the other ones you see installed.    Very happy with the results. 

grille07.jpggrille08.jpg

grille02.jpgGrille01.jpg

grille03.jpggrille04.jpg

grille05.jpggrille06.jpg

Edited by TwoBallScrewBall
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, TwoBallScrewBall said:

Bought a bag of 50 of these 3/4" LED marker lights to do my running boards.   Had 20 left over.   They cost about $0.60 each (bag of 50 of them is $29.99 on Amazon).

Easy install.   removed the plastic trim cover that goes over the radiator/hood latch area, just plastic push pins hold it in place.  Then drilled two 1/4" or so holes down from the top of the grille / shroud area down into the top of the grille for a zip tie.   placed a 1/4" X 1/2" strip of 3M VHB double sided tape on the LED light and then used the zip tie in combination with the double sided tape to secure the lights to the top of the grille opening as you see in the pics.    

Ran all 3 grounds together and grounded them on the hood latch bolt.  Ran the +12 feed to the trailer fuse (#15 I think) in the fuse box. 

I like them a bit more spread out than a lot of the other ones you see installed.    Very happy with the results. 

grille07.jpggrille08.jpg

grille02.jpgGrille01.jpg

grille03.jpggrille04.jpg

grille05.jpggrille06.jpg

Look's good - job well done.  LIGHTS on for safety . P.S. I have a Black truck with Led Light strips running down the side , above running broads

Edited by slj2008

• 2 years later...
On 2/17/2019 at 5:11 PM, TwoBallScrewBall said:

grille07.jpggrille08.jpg

grille02.jpgGrille01.jpg

grille03.jpggrille04.jpg

grille05.jpggrille06.jpg

This #15 fuse power will have the lights on at all time ? When truck is running day and night  thanks