What size Drop Hitch? 2019 Tahoe

I’m curious what size drop hitch are you guys using for your Tahoes? I’m measure 25” to the inside top of my receiver. My trailer sits level at 17” measuring to the bottom of my trailer’s coupler. That said, I know an 8” drop hitch would work. 

Im thinking about getting the 10” Weigh Safe drop hitch to give me more versatility as I have multiple trailers. The hitch itself actually drops 13” from the top of the receiver so without load, I’m looking at 12” of clearance, does any one run one of these or see an issue with only 12” of clearance?

• 4 weeks later...

I ran into this issue this weekend.  It's really going to depend on the trailer you're pulling.  I towed my 6.5' x 12' utility trailer for the first time this weekend.  I started with the 2" drop hitch I used on my Tundra and it was way too high.  Switched to the 4" drop from my Jeep and it was still high.  Looks like I'll need 6", probably 8", for my utility trailer.  The 4" may work for my boat but I"ll have to measure it, too.  The receivers are quite high on these new SUVs!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/23/2019 at 9:39 AM, rwwong said:

I’m curious what size drop hitch are you guys using for your Tahoes? I’m measure 25” to the inside top of my receiver. My trailer sits level at 17” measuring to the bottom of my trailer’s coupler. That said, I know an 8” drop hitch would work. 

Im thinking about getting the 10” Weigh Safe drop hitch to give me more versatility as I have multiple trailers. The hitch itself actually drops 13” from the top of the receiver so without load, I’m looking at 12” of clearance, does any one run one of these or see an issue with only 12” of clearance?

Did you do the weigh-safe?

I had good luck with them. Mine was 21" to the bottom. Its a Class V different but the same.

Same deal was listed 17" trailer, I did not get the scale version but would have if I knew it was an option. I did not need as much as I thought but the 10" will allow me to do smaller trailers.

Same comment on depend on the trailer for sure.

20190410_193953.thumb.jpg.26ddffa02bd300f895c362bd66b55753.jpg

well after trailer for the first time with a 10x6' utility trailer I can say 2" is not enough. My buddy let me borrow his possibly 4" drop, instantly  i could feel the difference just towing the trailer empty. 

I had about 1200# on the trailer with a 2" drop and it left wrong, vibration in the front suspension and rear.

I loaded 2300# with a 4"drop and it felt like it should . I'm not a towing expert but I knew it was more balanced with a 4" drop

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...