Trans cooler line DIY on a 2014

I have a '14 GMC 1500 with about 65k.  Ive been told that these stupid trans cooler lines will need to be replaced at some point.  Ive done some pretty difficult repairs on cars before, but ive been hearing these are a pain to change.  What is involved?  Anybody have a Manual scan?

Funny you should ask I unbolted. Mine 2 weeks ago to move trans and do a rsm. And my old truck I sold to buddy had a. Line break a week ago. Old truck is a pain in the assss. The newer body style was easy. One bolt holds a block on the driver side small bolt on the bracket under trans lines cross under trans and go up the passenger side. 

Just go super slow on removing the trans clips at the radiator. Small hook tool pry them up and out. Remove line them and I mean right then gently put the clip back on. The new line will just push back on. Lose clip and other then yelling and throwing things your done. 

• Thanks 1

I’ve been researching how to plumb my auxiliary trans filter. I plan on installing a -6 AN Flare Male to -6 AN O-Ring Boss adapter on the cooler and radiator on the driver’s side and removing the small steel tubing.

I can’t say 100% that the correct thread is -6AN ORB (9/16-18 TPI) but after tons of reading that is what I’ve decided to try. I’ll post here to let you know if it works.

LSX Innovations is one of a couple companies with an adapter to convert the trans cooler manifold to AN fittings.

https://www.lsxinnovations.com/product/6an-6l80e-6l90e-transmission-oil-cooler-manifold-fitting/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 300 Blackout said:

I’ve been researching how to plumb my auxiliary trans filter. I plan on installing a -6 AN Flare Male to -6 AN O-Ring Boss adapter on the cooler and radiator on the driver’s side and removing the small steel tubing.

I can’t say 100% that the correct thread is -6AN ORB (9/16-18 TPI) but after tons of reading that is what I’ve decided to try. I’ll post here to let you know if it works.

LSX Innovations is one of a couple companies with an adapter to convert the trans cooler manifold to AN fittings.

https://www.lsxinnovations.com/product/6an-6l80e-6l90e-transmission-oil-cooler-manifold-fitting/

Want to see a photo when you're done of the radiator connections please. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 2/28/2019 at 5:39 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

Want to see a photo when you're done of the radiator connections please. 

I finally finished this project. I’m really happy how it turned out. I purchased Russell part number 670300. It’s a push-lock hose barb with a -6 male an fitting. I cut off the first barb and filed the end smooth. It fits perfectly into the GM transmission fittings. I then mounted the filter in front of the driver’s wheel with a bracket bolted to existing bolts on the frame. I also used stainless braided PTFE AN hose. So far, I’m really happy. I need to cut one of the hoses shorter and remove the nylon covering on the other hose. The nylon is useless. I’ll just paint the stainless braid with black spray paint. 

E4D28467-F4A3-473B-829D-F950D66E5DBB.jpeg

1 hour ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

They make the fitting for the trans lines so you don't have to modify and build one.
So trans line gon into the condenser only or also the radiator?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Can you post a link to the fitting? I was only able to find one that converted to a standard hose barb, not an -AN male flare.

The lines and filter simply replaced the hardline jumper between the radiator and condenser. My trans fluid flows through the radiator, then the filter and then the condenser.