AFM Disable - Sprint or Range ?

Hey guys,

Looking into getting either a Diablosport Sprint or Range to disable AFM for my 2018 Sierra 5.3.

Experiences or thoughts on either?

I’m leaning towards the Sprint as looks I can get it easier up north (from tdotperformance.ca) and there’s been no battery drain reports.

Thanks

Edited by Talbot

Had a Range in my 015 before I got a tune. Worked fine would drain the battery but I could go a whole week (full 7 days) and the truck would crank over normal (I don’t drive mine much) Sold it to a guy I work with for his 018 so I sent it in for the latest update since the version I had wasn’t compatible with his 018. Supposedly the battery drain is taken care of with the last software update.  If you buy a used one or old stock make sure that version is compatible with your truck or paid a appropriate amount assuming you’ll have to sent both ways for a update you pay postage both ways.

Off Ranges site

1. The Disabler will drain your battery

RESPONSE:  This was a problem in the VERY early modules (v7 and earlier produced a couple of years ago) and particularly prevalent in the Camaros because the Disabler would "keep awake" other computer modules in the vehicle.  This was fixed long ago and the v8.6 (shipping for most of 2017 and all of 2018) incorporates that fix.  

The retail box printing will warn you to unplug the Disabler if the vehicle is in storage or sits long periods.  This is good practice and is the same with any plugin accessory like a radar detector, phone charger, etc. and is meant to help remind you.  In the "real world" the Disabler can be plugged in as long as the vehicle is driven every couple of weeks.  In the "on paper" world, a healthy battery at normal ambient temps (not subzero or baking hot) shouldn't discharge in less than a month of sitting.

I have one of the later software version range devices on my 2018. 

Works great! Leave it plugged in all the time. It’s sat for over a week with no issues. 

Only time I unplug it is when I take a long highway trip. 

• Like 1

Range didn't like my aftermarket brake controller. I bought a diablosport intune i3 on eBay. They have remanufactured ones for $199. Just used it to turn off afm today. It also gives you the ability to tune the truck.

Also the remanufactured one looked brand new to me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info gents.  I'll read a bit more on getting a tuner vs' a disabler before pulling the trigger.

Also fwiw, I've read on another truck board that the Diablosport Sprint is actually a rebadged Range device - this info was from a Diablosport tech rep on that board.

Cheers

I have the Range. I like it other than the fact when coasting either on a straight level road or down a hill,  the transmissions stays engaged and engine rpm's creep up and stay higher. I don't see that 99 mpg in the info center while coasting like I used to. Maybe get to 50 to 65 mpg or so at a coast now.  I'll give that up though to save a lifter collapse failure or other afm issues on down the road. I keep my trucks long term. 

• Like 1

Range here, love it. No battery issues at all. About the only thing I can think to tell a prospective customer is to pick a color you like because it will shine down on your feet...not annoying but when I look down I can see the green glow. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SS502 said:

Range here, love it. No battery issues at all. About the only thing I can think to tell a prospective customer is to pick a color you like because it will shine down on your feet...not annoying but when I look down I can see the green glow. 

I couldn’t take the disco light show when I had mine so I Plasti-Dipped the lens took 6 coats of black to block it out enuff not to shine on the floor but could still see the LEDs. I tried white dip first and quit when I got to 10 coats and still lit up the floor...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wforrest08 said:

I couldn’t take the disco light show when I had mine so I Plasti-Dipped the lens took 6 coats of black to block it out enuff not to shine on the floor but could still see the LEDs. I tried white dip first and quit when I got to 10 coats and still lit up the floor...

I honestly don’t notice anything after initial start up but looking back I should have got blue. Still I enjoy no AFM!

• 1 month later...

Had no idea how smooth my truck could be with the AFM off - she rides like a caddy without the bouncy.  Any tuners/devices other than the Hypertech that can disable AFM below certain speeds only?  I can get absurd highway mileage in V4, but driving around town (90%+ of the time) I'm irritated by the noticeable stumbling transition.  Highway in V8 is smoother no doubt, but I'm about 5 mpg off.  In town, its <1 mpg difference with AFM on/off.