Filler neck conversation

I have a 2017 Silverado with the capless fuel filler, I have had nothing but issues with it and am wondering if there is any way to convert my filler neck assembly from the capless style to one with a cap.

I know the 2014-16 models came with a capped system and I'm wondering if the filler neck configuration is the same and 100 percent interchangable.

The filler neck literally fills with water and freezes solid. Making it impossible to get fuel unless I stand in my driveway with a hair dryer defrosting it. It's bad enough I gotta do that when it's -45, but on a brand new truck I shouldn't have too at all 

This issue is also making me believe there would be water in my tank. I understand there is a drain hole on the filler neck but if waters getting caught and freezing clearly it's not draining 

4 hours ago, Skinny_Z71 said:

The filler neck literally fills with water and freezes solid. Making it impossible to get fuel unless I stand in my driveway with a hair dryer defrosting it. It's bad enough I gotta do that when it's -45, but on a brand new truck I shouldn't have too at all 

This issue is also making me believe there would be water in my tank. I understand there is a drain hole on the filler neck but if waters getting caught and freezing clearly it's not draining 

Have you at least tried one of these make shift caps in this thread for now till you can swap to a cap system? Might be better than nothing for now and they are all fairly cheap minus the worthless locking GM one.

Edited by wforrest08

I have tried the 2.44" Curt bearing cap but even that froze to the outside of the filler neck and had to be cut open in order to purchase gas. 

Haven't tried the gm one because the dealership said it's non-warrentable and wanted me to pay for it. 

Wow.. that is a strange issue. Never heard of that one before.

Bring it to the dealer when it’s frozen demand a fix.. or call GM directly.

Putting a cover on it is just a band aid.

They need to make it right.

I bought the OEM cap/cover on eBay for around $15... I found it to be a pain to put on and remove as it has a stupid plastic neck grip that’s operated by a key. The cap is somewhere in my cab since I removed it after 2 fill ups.

I posted a pic of it in the above link (post #2)

Then I mentioned it’s a pain in the ass

(post #16)

Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Issue with bringing it there when it's frozen is I work 10-12 hours out of town in northern Canada. I have no choice but to fix the issue myself.

And that's my point exactly, I've bought a handful of new trucks/cars from this dealership and they don't even want to give me a 30 dollar part, Ridiculous.

15 hours ago, Skinny_Z71 said:

Ah, never would have thought of that. I'll steal one from work and give it a shot. Although I feel like it's going to freeze on just like the bearing cap as it's the same idea 

I have a PVC end cap, can’t imagine it freezing on there...it fits snug and easy to paint to a color close if you care about that. $1.98 at Lowe’s 

DE9BA06C-59C2-4192-9483-4DB58311DB85.jpeg

Edited by SS502

• 2 years later...
10 hours ago, Timothy Hatcher said:

my issue with capless filler is large evap leak code/ check engine light/ cannot use remote start if check engine light is on

Change out the capless filler vlave.
When I first bought my truck that is what the dealer did first as it was bad.
Not sure of the cost but it didn't seem to take long for the dealer to replace it.
Quite frankly, I find it more convenient than I expected.
When I fill up the BMW, I gotta unscrew the cap, fill it up, then, screw the cap back in (occasionally, it also needs replaced).
On my truck, it's fill up and go. :D

Edited by MikeBMW
  • Like 2