14 gmc towing

So my trucks a 14 gmc slt 5.3 6speed auto 3.42 gears. I have a 34foot camper from camping world  it says on the website my truck can pull it fine which it has for short trips maybe a 20 mile ride . But we plan to go the a NASCAR race at the end of April from where I live it’s 3 hour drive . I’m gonna assume my truck should be fine towing it in tow/haul mode .if I get the funds I’m gonna swap intake to l86 intake and tb and have the dod turned off. At least get the dod turned off any thoughts? I did have t-state removed in the transmission housing . 

Look in the owners manual.

If you don't have one, look on line for it.

The tow, weight, hitch capacities are in the manual.

My guess is with a 34 foot trailer and loaded up you will be close to or over the capacities.

Not an ideal set up.

:)

• Like 1

Me personally, anything that big regardless of weight would be better off being pulled by a 2500 or equivalent. Camping World is going to tell you that of course your truck can tow it....at least off the lot. Remember the Worlds Strong man competition where the guy “tows” a Semi truck with his teeth? Yeah it can be done but at what cost? As mentioned though weight is the key player here.

• Like 2

So my trucks a 14 gmc slt 5.3 6speed auto 3.42 gears. I have a 34foot camper from camping world  it says on the website my truck can pull it fine which it has for short trips maybe a 20 mile ride . But we plan to go the a NASCAR race at the end of April from where I live it’s 3 hour drive . I’m gonna assume my truck should be fine towing it in tow/haul mode .if I get the funds I’m gonna swap intake to l86 intake and tb and have the dod turned off. At least get the dod turned off any thoughts? I did have t-state removed in the transmission housing . 

I had the identical setup, weight distribution hitch, airbags etc. Horrible experience, completely slapped my truck and me around, you’ll regret it! Trade it in and get yourself the DMax, I did and never looked back. In fact, the DMax did the slapping around on the trailer. It’s BS, these trucks shouldn’t tow anything heavier than 5-7K lbs, I’d just stick pulling max 5K in a 5.3 and max 7K with a 6.2.

Sent from above
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

It’s BS, these trucks shouldn’t tow anything heavier than 5-7K lbs, I’d just stick pulling max 5K in a 5.3 and max 7K with a 6.2.

By most accounts, when towing big heavy travel trailers with a 1500, the biggest issue is stability, not power.  By saying you would tow 40% more with the 6.2, are you suggesting that's not the case?

You get caught on a windy day your in for a handful.

34 foot is huge in the wind. I wouldn't have anything to do with that with a half ton. 

Not to mention your probably near the max weight when shes loaded up. 

I see threads on here a lot where a guy wants to tow a huge ass trailer with a half ton. Sure it will but why?

I don't like living on the edge like that.

Get a bigger truck man. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, rkj__ said:

By most accounts, when towing big heavy travel trailers with a 1500, the biggest issue is stability, not power.  By saying you would tow 40% more with the 6.2, are you suggesting that's not the case?

While I can’t answer for him, it’s more about ease of towing...both can handle 7K but the extra HP of the 6.2 is obviously gonna make it an easier task. If I ever planned on towing a travel trailer (really any size I consider livable) I will move up to the 2500. My 1500 will tow utility trailers, jet skis, pop-ups and even a 24 foot boat all day long. As @dieselfan1 with a travel trailer wind will really make your travels a scary handful. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 14 gmcl83 said:

It only

weights 7,000 lbs we towed it 100 miles with no

issues my bad 

You taking into consideration of all your gear, humans, animals, food, ALL of it adds up. Like mentioned you can do it, but are you comfortable doing it?? I know moving up to a 2500 isn’t feasible for everyone, that was just my opinion.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 14 gmcl83 said:

It only

weights 7,000 lbs we towed it 100 miles with no

issues my bad 

For a 34ft trailer, I assume that is dry, with no propane tanks or battery.  Correct? 

Typically, when you add a few passengers, and gear in the bed of the truck, along with the tongue weight of the trailer, you run out of payload before you hit your "max towing" number. 

• Thanks 1

My experience with zero care of cost to get it as tow capable as possible. Stability, power to tow up steep hills is a MUST HAVE. I’ve owned them all, enormous difference having pulling power, keeping your speed especially when towing heavy is vital. My DMax was literally invincible when towing especially with OEM air brakes which worked excellent when going down hill. There’s absolutely zero comparison when it comes to the two, 1500 is light duty, 2500 especially with DMax is heavy duty.

This truck was equipped with custom in cab air bag system, heavy duty shocks and much more.
e3536da914e17881660dd412c12abacf.jpg

8402e0b93265acb5db4f7de811f9b362.jpg

This one was the pc of crap 5.3 with same added suspension upgrades as the 2500 and was very stable compared to stock but didn’t matter, slapped around like a bag of candy.
bf3646f9eb4c33709b48ca936fcd9f8b.jpg

Recently, while in Austin Tx and with my 6.2, I towed a 7k lb trailer hauling a sports car and immediately noticed a huge and very positive difference just having a 6.2 in the 1500. Even with a 6.2 you’ll still be slapped around but significant difference in pulling power.

Sent from above
  • Thanks 1

That might have been the worst comparison video ever.  Its obvious a bigger motor is going to pull better but that's not whats in question here

OP if you're max weight is around 7000lbs then you'll be fine.  If its 7000lbs dry before anything else then I don't know, its up to you.  You're truck will pull it if that's all you're worried about.  I agree with others that at 34' it is pretty dang long.  With that said though I wont knock it.

I tow a 32' toy hauler that comes in close to 9000lbs fully loaded and my truck pulls it fine.  Im running a 7" lift on 35's and I have no issues.  Its kind of a dog though with the 3.42 gears, lift and tires but I'll be fixing that on the 27th of this month when I get my 4.56's installed. 

Talking towing capacities is as bad as talking oil, politics or religion.  You got guys like me that tow heavy on the regular and believe a trucks towing capacity is just that, its capacity.  Then you got others that believe you can only tow %65-75 of the trucks "capacity" to have a good towing experience.

I think it all depends how comfortable you are pulling it.  People talk about the wind and how if you're in a bigger truck then wind wont be an issue somehow.  I don't understand that one.  Get behind a semi on a windy day and tell me how straight those guys are running.  On a windy day a 3000lb sports car will get pushed around.  There is no escaping mother nature.  Get a good sway control for your hitch and slow down a little bit and you can drive in 30mph cross winds all day

• Thanks 1