Rear glass continuously popping open

Hey all, I have a 2015 suburban LT, 70k miles, new to us about 2 months ago. The problem we’ve been having is the rear glass on the liftgate keeps popping open. No matter what we do. I’ve disconnected the battery, reconnected, still does it. I’ve taken out the relay in the back of the vehicle that controls the rear glass, but it’s still drawing power, causing the battery to die. I took it to a dealership, they said the battery had a bad cell, (probably from the draining of the battery) so it was replaced. All was well for about 4-5 days, then it started doing it again. Now it won’t stop. This is our family ride, any thoughts? I don’t know where to begin searching for bad grounds. 

It has a new battery, I’ll attach a video so everyone can see what it’s doing, hopefully you can see it. Any direction or help is much appreciated. Thanks

53D4270F-C990-408B-863C-3A3266615D0D.mov

Have the dealer hook up GDS2 and monitor inputs to the lift gate module and the bcm. Probably going to see something triggering the actuator, such as defective switch or shorted wiring harness causing an unwanted ground.When it is doing that it shouldn't be too difficult to see what is causing it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2019 at 12:57 PM, Mikey999 said:

Is button on either remote stuck activated?

I don’t think it’s the buttons. We took both car remotes out of range of the vehicle, and the relay was still clicking. 

On 4/15/2019 at 10:05 AM, SARNCAN said:

Just unplug then plug the liftglass relay. It is located at the rear fuse box #17

I unplugged both the fuse and the relay, it’s still drawing enough power to kill the new battery. 

On 3/17/2019 at 6:55 AM, mjm-1957 said:

Have the dealer hook up GDS2 and monitor inputs to the lift gate module and the bcm. Probably going to see something triggering the actuator, such as defective switch or shorted wiring harness causing an unwanted ground.When it is doing that it shouldn't be too difficult to see what is causing it.

I have an appointment with the dealer for Monday morning. Problem is, it doesn’t always do it. It’s a hit or miss kind of thing. But I’ll ask them about that GDS2 thing 

thanks for the help 

• 2 weeks later...

I found out the issue y’all! The connector between the lift gate and the vehicle had some corrosion in the connectors. Took it apart, cleaned it, and it’s back to new. Thanks everyone for the feedback. Hopefully this helps someone out in the future 

• Thanks 1

I found out the issue y’all! The connector between the lift gate and the vehicle had some corrosion in the connectors. Took it apart, cleaned it, and it’s back to new. Thanks everyone for the feedback. Hopefully this helps someone out in the future 

Lift gate, or lift glass?
If you have a picture that will be grate, at least from the internet (spare parts database)

8 hours ago, SARNCAN said:

Lift gate, or lift glass?
If you have a picture that will be grate, at least from the internet (spare parts database)

The connector is attached from the vehicle at the lift gate opening to the lift gate, at the top of the lift gate. Lift glass was the only that kept popping open on me. I suppose the lift gate could do the same thing, however in my situation it was only the lift glass malfunctioning. 

• 7 months later...

Brand new to forum, but I'm having a similar problem with my 2007 Tahoe LTZ. We've owned the Tahoe for about a year, purchased from the dealership with very low miles. Been operating without incident until  two months ago. The rear glass pops open whenever you open the tailgate. I don't think it is a remote issue, because it does it either by remote actuation or manually at the rear latch switch, or at the overhead console switch. As the hatch opens the rear glass pops open after about 1/3 of the way up. Started happening intermittently, and now occurs all the time. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Bill M. 

On 12/28/2019 at 11:04 AM, Firedude13 said:

Brand new to forum, but I'm having a similar problem with my 2007 Tahoe LTZ. We've owned the Tahoe for about a year, purchased from the dealership with very low miles. Been operating without incident until  two months ago. The rear glass pops open whenever you open the tailgate. I don't think it is a remote issue, because it does it either by remote actuation or manually at the rear latch switch, or at the overhead console switch. As the hatch opens the rear glass pops open after about 1/3 of the way up. Started happening intermittently, and now occurs all the time. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Bill M. 

Try investigating the plug that Josh_2015burb showed in the post above.  Perhaps yours has some corrosion in it too causing issues?