ZR2 Power Package; DEALER TO SAVE FACTORY EXHAUST & FILTER

Taking delivery of a ZR2 with the Power Package in one week.

Window sticker shows Power Package components being 'dealer installed'.

I asked the dealer to save the original air filter and exhaust for me.

They got back to me stating they send same back to GM.

I need some quick advice on what to do.

Not certain of the correct practice / procedure. Is what they’re stating true?

Maybe GM charges the dealer a 'core charge' if the original parts aren't returned?

I need some sort of concrete proof to go back to the dealer with.

Support and advice would be truly appreciated, if any to be had.

Please advise asap.

Nothing in writing.

Thank you.

Easiest way to check it is to go to a GM accessories webstore and price out the parts alone.  Sure they don't come installed, but last time I checked for something I wanted for my 2010 the site gave 2 prices.  One installed, and one not installed. 

For what it's worth I have had the OEM cat back, OEM grille, OEM middle SL front seat, OEM radio, OEM ECM & TCM, and OEM air BOX gathering dust in the garage since 2010.  I recently had a chance to take a good look at the custom exhaust done by a local shop using rust proof grade stainless steel and a dual outlet magnaflow long muffler.  Absolutely rust free.  And I have drive an average of approx 3,000 miles/5,000 km a year, the hardest miles on an exhaust system. My point here is 'keeping the OEM parts will turn into a hoarding problem if you are not careful.   I only just recently got rid of the OEM 2bbl intake and carburetor off of my 78 Mustang KING COBRA, I took it off the day after the 12 month factory warranty expired and installed an Offenhauser dual port intake with a 600 cfm Carter AFB. I moved that intake/carb setup 8 times.  Finally gave it up along with a huge collection of old Dell PowerEdge servers that came from a remote server farm I was running 10 years ago.  

• Thanks 1

Return exhaust? Thats a new one. I think they are full of sh#t. But......... GM does some very strange things nowadays. The only accesory I've known them to want back is some wheels.

Now that I have thought some more on this, my friend and his son both bought new trucks same day, same salesman, both trucks came with package of dealer installed  chrome mirror caps, door handles and running boards.  They did not get the original mirror caps or handles back. . My friends truck was an SLT, 

I think likely had body coloured handles and mirror caps. It was a good day for the salesman.  Even though both were GM employee sales. He is the salesman I got my last half dozen new cars from. 

Parts department just scored on some free stuff. Just be pushy, ask for the parts, or some sort of discount, they do this crap all of the time with wheel and tire packages, charge you for the new ones, and then keep the ones that came with the truck that you pay for also.

Comes with what you ordered, dealer installed LPO's that replace OEM parts. those OEM parts are not the property of the customer, they belong to GM.   You are being unreasonable thinking they belong to you, you are paying for one exhaust system and one air intake system, not two!

Edited by elcamino

My dealer has a ton of “ take off “ stock exhaust systems from dealer installed performance sales. They keep them And sell off to wreckers etc  

When I ordered my truck I just negotiated a good price on GM perfect exhaust and intake  and installed my self  easy and way cheaper  they charge you full retail plus labor for those add ons plus keep the oem  stuff 

Good you got it resolved.

What happens is pretty simple.  GM sends the dealer installed accessories prior to the truck's arrival.

Truck comes in, dealer does the PDI and installs all ordered accessories. 

The dealer's parts department usually will keep the removed original parts and hold them until the truck is sold/dealer traded.  If dealer traded, the selling dealer will toss them most likely.  If sold to a customer, it would be customer choice.

What typically happens is the tech who did the work takes the exhaust for scrap, and any trim pieces (grilles, handles, etc.) go home with him and up on Craigslist/ebay. 

Dealership parts departments may do the ebay option but only if they still have the stuff after its sold, assuming the customer didn't want the stuff. 

They DO NOT go back to GM for anything.  No core, no special return policy, nothing.  The only thing that goes back typically to GM via the ADI (accessory dealer/installer) are the steel 22" transit wheels as they are a $1500 core charge to the dealer. 

Edited by newdude
  • Like 2

That's bullshit,  if you ask for the parts you can have them.  The only parts that get sent back to GM after a new car prep with dealer installed items are the smooth, black steel 22' wheels.  Everything else either gets thrown out, stocked back into inventory for parts to sell, or given back to customer at their request.  

I have 3 sets of 4 piston Brembos from Camaros under my bench that got upgraded to dealer installed 6 pistons.  Been there for almost two years now.  The only person who asked about them is the parts manager because I know he wants to resale them.