Wiggums

Keyless Entry and Keeping Keys in Truck

My Ford F-150 didn't have keyless entry so I kept my keys in during one of my extended overseas trips, using the keypad to get in and my keys always safe. I could never stand the thought of losing my keys 6,000 miles away and having no way to get in my truck and I wouldn't be able to get in my house! I learned it the hard way a long time ago, never again.

I didn't know my Chevrolet came with keyless but it was attached to a fantastic deal I couldn't refuse so I had a dilemma. I could use my phone to unlock my truck so I didn't really need the keypad my Ford had, but I just may install one for $250 at the dealership anyway. That's just in case I lose my phone whilst overseas.

Unfortunately, keeping the keyless fob around the new Silverado will cause battery drainage as the module will be kept active when the keys are detectable. My truck didn't lock when I was at the back of my truck. As one member said, the Hitch Safe wouldn't be good enough and he's right so it was no longer an option. One here suggested wrapping it in aluminum foil and I tried that. It worked very well and realized my Progresso soup can had thicker aluminum so I tried it with the smooth-edge can opener and, voila!

I am very pleased to report my truck did not unlock when I held it inches away from the door. To think I was going to spend $19.99 for a can of Coca-Cola with a secret compartment!

Now, my question is: if I used my phone to unlock the truck from a distance... how long would the battery last before it dies? Can it do a month?

Can.jpg

how about just taking the battery out of the fob....

I couldn't open it, wasn't sure if I'd break it so I picked the easiest solution. I looked at YouTube videos, all the key fobs were different from each other so I gave up on that idea.

Run a battery tender cable to the grill, so if the battery does die, you have a way to pump 12v in and give it enough juice for the doors to unlock with the app or your spare key fob.

On my 18 i'm planning on removing the drivers side key cylinder after a recent break in and i'm going to run a cable to the grill just in case the battery does die. That key cylinder on mine is useless! They punched it and had the door open in under 4 seconds (Dash cam was recording) 

With any luck, GM changed it out for a better one on your 19! (But I doubt it)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I use a faraday pouch/bag to hold my keys when not driving.  It makes them invisible and works great.  It blocks any signals to and from them and the truck cant even detect them while they are in the pouch.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077XTMHZW/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_IOzLCbPQX1JY4

Edited by z1boss

1 hour ago, rah7777777 said:

Run a battery tender cable to the grill, so if the battery does die, you have a way to pump 12v in and give it enough juice for the doors to unlock with the app or your spare key fob.

On my 18 i'm planning on removing the drivers side key cylinder after a recent break in and i'm going to run a cable to the grill just in case the battery does die. That key cylinder on mine is useless! They punched it and had the door open in under 4 seconds (Dash cam was recording) 

With any luck, GM changed it out for a better one on your 19! (But I doubt it)

That's good to know. A friend's Ford has a keypad, he can't change the factory code and since the thief got the manual with the code, he has to keep it in his locked garage.

Theft, fortunately, isn't an issue here. Never had any one of my cars stolen.

Couldn't I use a solar panel and have it on the dashboard?

1 hour ago, z1boss said:

I use a faraday pouch/bag to hold my keys when not driving.  It makes them invisible and works great.  It blocks any signals to and from them and the truck cant even detect them while they are in the pouch.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077XTMHZW/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_IOzLCbPQX1JY4

I read the reviews, some complained it wasn't always effective. I'm pretty sure the can of soup has a lot more aluminum. When I close it, there's no opening.

2 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

I read the reviews, some complained it wasn't always effective. I'm pretty sure the can of soup has a lot more aluminum. When I close it, there's no opening.

I've never had it not work.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Ramos88
      I am looking to see if anyone has been able to program their own key fobs with any cheaper machines. I have seen the Dorman programmers on eBay and Amazon which can program a 2016 Sierra Key fob. I would like to purchase a programmer or something similar like a diagnostic tool that could also program my wife’s 2012 Malibu or at least the newer GM trucks. Has anyone had luck or know of anyone able to program keys and key fobs with any cheaper tools? Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance. 
    • By Runhellman
      This winter the alarm started going off after a remote start cycle ends.  When the car shuts off (after remote start cycle ends) there will be about a 30 second delay and then the alarm starts going off.  I mentioned it to the dealer service and they suggested trying a different FOB before they started digging into it. They obviously had not heard of the problem before. I tried a different FOB and it made no difference.  I have searched the internet and haven't seen anyone else mention this problem.  I don't have a lot of faith in the service at the dealer, so I am wondering if anyone has any ideas?
    • By murphys_law93
      Hi, new member here! I've read a lot of helpful posts on this site and decided to join.

It appears that by means of motor vehicles, some force in the cosmos is hell-bent on driving me insane, as every ridiculously simple process must be infinitely difficult and dreadful.

Today's ridiculousness involves programing a key fob in my 2006 Silverado Z71 4x4. I've had the truck a couple weeks and it came with no key fobs. I decided to buy 2 from Amazon after noticing the truck has the AU0 RPO code, as well as power unlocks/windows, and no key cylinder on the passenger door. 

I've read the process online, watched youtube videos, yet when I try I am unsuccessful, and can't find anything related to the issue I am having. 

So here's the process:
      -key out, door open, sitting in driver seat-
      -shut door, insert key. Push and hold unlock, turn on-off-on-off (I've also tried on-acc-on-acc per some advice from another post on this forum). The moment the key passes the "ACC" point on the ignition cylinder the 2nd time, the doors locks cycle, and I release my finger from the unlock (exactly the same as every video I've seen on YouTube".
      The issue is, about 2-3 seconds after the door locks cycle and I've released my finger from the unlock button, the door locks will automatically cycle a 2nd time, and the horn will beep once. No matter how long I hold the lock and unlock button on the remotes, there is no response from the truck and the fobs will not work. 

Interestingly enough, no matter how carefully I perform the sequence or even if I'm trying to botch it, I get the exact same results. The door locks will cycle normally, then 2-3 seconds later cycle again and beep. This happens whether the driver door is open, or shut, or even if I have the truck on before starting the process. If I press the unlock-lock in the truck a million times after I release my finger, or if I just keep holding, no  matter how many times I've tried releasing the unlock at different times, if I pour gasoline all over the driver door and set it on fire, drive it into the lake and perform it underwater holding my breath, it doesn't matter and I get the same response from the truck. 

No check engine lights, no security light issues, no abs lights, nothing else at all that suggests there's any wiring issues with the truck, everything works as it should. 

I have found one other post on the entire interwebz with someone having the same issue of the door locks cycling a 2nd time and the beep, but no helpful responses or solutions. So, has anyone ran into this issue before or have any advice? I'll be posting a video on youtube and adding the link later. Picture of RPO sticker attached.
      Thanks!

• By lylknutsak
      I have a 2015 GMC Sierra Single Cab 4.3L V6.
      Pulled into the parking lot at work this morning with no issues.
      Went to back into a parking spot and when I shifted into reverse, EVERYTHING in the cab shut off for about 3 seconds.
      When it came back on I had an airbag alarm and a stabilitrak alarm.
      I backed into the spot without issue.
      As far as I could tell the drive-train was fine.
      I have the convenience package which is basically the backup camera, Bluetooth, and On-Star.
      Anyone else come across this issue or anything similar?
    • By JakesInSpace
      Truck in question: 2001 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 (w/ Stock Keyless Entry System)

Okay, I really didn't want to make a forum post, but I've scoured the hivemind for answers and I have found none.

Recently I ordered new batteries for my 15732803 key fob that was showing signs of a weak battery. i.e. Required holding button longer than before, and requiring me to stand closer.

I removed the old battery about 12 hours before installing a new one. (idk why I did this, but I didn't think it would cause issues.) I tested the fob at Pep-Boys on one of those Energizer fob testers. Seems to work fine!

After installing the battery, I followed the instructions on the inside of the fob case. "Press and hold LOCK & UNLOCK for 7 seconds". I did this, but I received no response from the truck. I tried this several times to no avail. At this point I assume that removing the battery for an extended period caused the rolling codes to become lost or out of sync... I begin attempting to enter programming mode as per my trucks service manual.

This is where I am having problems. I followed the service manual and a multitude of other online resources that gave me the same, or slightly differing instructions. However, the locks NEVER cycle when I release the drivers-side UNLOCK button. I tried different combinations of this, with different speeds; removing the key, opening and closing the door every time. No luck...

The systems worked well for years until I removed and replaced the battery.

I respectfully ask that you don't respond with programming instruction from the service manual. I've read it so many times I could recite it by memory. I am certain that it's either a hardware/software issue, or it's a process issue. Maybe I'm performing the procedure too fast? Too slow? Are there known quirks that are undocumented in the service manual? Did I somehow mess something up by leaving the fob battery out for so long? (This seems unlikely since the fob isn't the issue in question)

Thank you in advance for anyone who responds.