Keyless Entry and Keeping Keys in Truck

My Ford F-150 didn't have keyless entry so I kept my keys in during one of my extended overseas trips, using the keypad to get in and my keys always safe. I could never stand the thought of losing my keys 6,000 miles away and having no way to get in my truck and I wouldn't be able to get in my house! I learned it the hard way a long time ago, never again.

I didn't know my Chevrolet came with keyless but it was attached to a fantastic deal I couldn't refuse so I had a dilemma. I could use my phone to unlock my truck so I didn't really need the keypad my Ford had, but I just may install one for $250 at the dealership anyway. That's just in case I lose my phone whilst overseas.

Unfortunately, keeping the keyless fob around the new Silverado will cause battery drainage as the module will be kept active when the keys are detectable. My truck didn't lock when I was at the back of my truck. As one member said, the Hitch Safe wouldn't be good enough and he's right so it was no longer an option. One here suggested wrapping it in aluminum foil and I tried that. It worked very well and realized my Progresso soup can had thicker aluminum so I tried it with the smooth-edge can opener and, voila!

I am very pleased to report my truck did not unlock when I held it inches away from the door. To think I was going to spend $19.99 for a can of Coca-Cola with a secret compartment!

Now, my question is: if I used my phone to unlock the truck from a distance... how long would the battery last before it dies? Can it do a month?

Can.jpg

I couldn't open it, wasn't sure if I'd break it so I picked the easiest solution. I looked at YouTube videos, all the key fobs were different from each other so I gave up on that idea.

Run a battery tender cable to the grill, so if the battery does die, you have a way to pump 12v in and give it enough juice for the doors to unlock with the app or your spare key fob.

On my 18 i'm planning on removing the drivers side key cylinder after a recent break in and i'm going to run a cable to the grill just in case the battery does die. That key cylinder on mine is useless! They punched it and had the door open in under 4 seconds (Dash cam was recording) 

With any luck, GM changed it out for a better one on your 19! (But I doubt it)

• Like 1

I use a faraday pouch/bag to hold my keys when not driving.  It makes them invisible and works great.  It blocks any signals to and from them and the truck cant even detect them while they are in the pouch.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077XTMHZW/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_IOzLCbPQX1JY4

Edited by z1boss

1 hour ago, rah7777777 said:

Run a battery tender cable to the grill, so if the battery does die, you have a way to pump 12v in and give it enough juice for the doors to unlock with the app or your spare key fob.

On my 18 i'm planning on removing the drivers side key cylinder after a recent break in and i'm going to run a cable to the grill just in case the battery does die. That key cylinder on mine is useless! They punched it and had the door open in under 4 seconds (Dash cam was recording) 

With any luck, GM changed it out for a better one on your 19! (But I doubt it)

That's good to know. A friend's Ford has a keypad, he can't change the factory code and since the thief got the manual with the code, he has to keep it in his locked garage.

Theft, fortunately, isn't an issue here. Never had any one of my cars stolen.

Couldn't I use a solar panel and have it on the dashboard?

1 hour ago, z1boss said:

I use a faraday pouch/bag to hold my keys when not driving.  It makes them invisible and works great.  It blocks any signals to and from them and the truck cant even detect them while they are in the pouch.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077XTMHZW/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_IOzLCbPQX1JY4

I read the reviews, some complained it wasn't always effective. I'm pretty sure the can of soup has a lot more aluminum. When I close it, there's no opening.

2 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

I read the reviews, some complained it wasn't always effective. I'm pretty sure the can of soup has a lot more aluminum. When I close it, there's no opening.

I've never had it not work.