2012 Suburban, both key fob remotes stopped working, but TPMS working fine

Szilla

Question

I have a 2012 Suburban, owned since new.  Yesterday the key fob / remote / keyless transmitter stopped working.  It stopped, then worked a couple times to unlock, then quit completely.  I assumed it was a bad battery (10+ years old), so I replaced it with a new battery, still didn't work.  I have the second remote that's only been used a couple times when the keys were "lost", and it doesn't work either.  No response from any buttons.  I checked the batteries in both, and both batteries are at 3.3 volts.  I pulled the DSM fuse for 5 minutes and then disconnected the vehicle battery for 5 minutes, no change.  I have tried holding the remote right next to where (I think) the RCDLR is in the left-rear pillar, still no response.  The TPMS system works fine, reading all 4 tires correctly with no errors.  I hooked up my ODB2 scanner, and it doesn't show any codes.

Do I have two dead remotes?  Or has the RCDLR partially stopped working?  I called the dealer, all they said was "buy a new remote, your two remotes have died".  I asked, why would an unused 10 year old remote die?  No answer, just come in and buy one.  I have no faith in my dealership's service department based on previous repairs unfortunately, so I thought I'd ask here.  My local locksmith will attempt a re-sync for $50, but they said if they're both not working it's not that.  Unfortunately this year model won't allow the user to add or reprogram a remote.

Thanks in advance for any ideas of what to try, or what might be the issue.

• Like 1

7 answers to this question

You need a Tech-2 or similar bi-directional scan tool that can talk to the BCM and other internal computers.  There will probably be codes in there.

So, it is possible that one remote died and the other got out of synch  and needs to be programmed.  Maybe they both died.  I've never had batteries last more than a year or so myself.

If the remotes are good, then the RCDLR has partially failed and needs to be replaced.  A new one must be programmed to your vehicle.  A used one, with the same options as your truck, should work right away.

• Like 1

Interestingly, the fob for my Silverado seems to be one of the handful of things GM got right on this truck. Everything else has been a disaster. Remote battery is going to be 16 years old in a few months - still works! 

If you have the DIC with buttons, scroll to the "Program Remote", and try reprogramming your 2 fobs at the same time. Computer may have got stupid and "forgot" them. 

What would be even better is to find a locksmith that has a scan tool that reads fob output. That will tell you 100% if the fobs are working, or not.

Thanks for the reply swathdiver.  It looks like a Tech-2 would be handy to have, as I plan on keeping this vehicle for another 5 years (cost of a new Suburban is ridiculous).   I'll purchase one of the chinese knockoffs and try it out.

In the meantime, I've ordered the Dorman kit that comes with a new keyless fob & programmer for under $70.  I'm going to assume if that doesn't work, I need the RCDLR.  If I had a Tech-2, would I be able to program the RCDLR myself, or is that beyond the skill level of a backyard mechanic?

-Jsdirt, unfortunately GM removed the ability to program the remotes via the DIC in 2010, so my 2012 doesn't have that feature. 

• Like 1

The Dorman kit was the solution.  I was able to program the new fob with no issues.  Neither of the GM OEM fobs would program, so I guess they're both dead.  Not sure how a fob that sat in a desk for 10 years just died (battery was good), but it was.

Thanks for the help and tips.  I also got a VCX Nano and got tech2win working on an old laptop.  It has a lot of info & settings in it I wouldn't have guessed it can do.  Looking forward to having that tool next time I have an issue.

• Like 1

I wish you luck with Dorman. They have been the absolute WORST when it comes to sensors and such on vehicles. The name is a running joke in mechanic's circles.

But, GM OE parts are so hit-or-miss today, you've got a pretty good chance of getting a better part anyway. Case in point - my fob will be 16 years old next year, still works on the SAME battery! Go figure. The one part of my truck that's been reliable - everything else has been a steaming pile of 3rd-world excrement.

Either way, glad you got this issue ironed out, and got some new tech to play with.👍🍻

Edited by Jsdirt

Thanks, I made sure and ordered from somewhere I could return it easily if it didn't work.  I usually do buy OEM, but for 1/4 the cost of buying & getting one programmed at the dealer, I figured it was worth a shot. 

Of course, now I see that I can buy a GM remote online, and program it with tech2win, for about the same cost.  I guess if this Dorman dies, that'll be next.

• Like 1