2019 Sierra SLT. Remote start will not work. I've checked all the security features it needs to operate. Tested battery. 12.4 volts. After pressing the lock on my key fob, I then hold the start button. The lights flash but the start process does not initiate.  Every other function on the key fobs work. The truck will start manually by pressing the start button on the dashboard. I have also replaced the batteries in my key fobs. I also have the My GMC app active. It sends the start function to the truck. Flashes the lights but does not start. Any suggestions?

I spent several months... turned out to be a defective hood latch on my 2019 crew Cab LT Z71.   Remote start works flawlessly since the hood latch was replaced.   I was also getting sporadic false MILs 

I talked directly with the mechanic and went through every MIL I encountered.  I then mentioned I had seen a hood open lamp briefly, but it went out.  He fiddled around with the hood latch and finally got it to fail and illuminate the hood open MIL.

Turns out it was the hood latch.   Also make sure all windows are fully closed and all doors closed and locked.

Mine would sometimes just do what yours does and other times also set off the anti theft.    

Hope this helps.     Search for my member name, you should find all the postings I did on this.

Edited by SteveP45
word correction

I haven't checked for any codes. However the hood latch could make sense. About a week ago. The alarm went off for no reason. I wonder if the hood latch triggered it. When I got in the truck it said theft attempted. Ever since then it hasn't remote started. It definitely doesn't say it's open on the dash but maybe it is intermittent?. Should I bypass that sensor to maybe test that theory?

21 minutes ago, Anthony Bautista said:

I haven't checked for any codes. However the hood latch could make sense. About a week ago. The alarm went off for no reason. I wonder if the hood latch triggered it. When I got in the truck it said theft attempted. Ever since then it hasn't remote started. It definitely doesn't say it's open on the dash but maybe it is intermittent?. Should I bypass that sensor to maybe test that theory?

If you bypass it, it won't remote start.

Replace the hood latch.  

13 minutes ago, newdude said:

If you bypass it, it won't remote start.

Replace the hood latch.  

I found a video of a guy that built a very simple bypass harness. It uses a 2.2k resistor. I don't want to be that guy that finds one video on YouTube and becomes an expert but. The 2.2k resistors are $5.  I ordered them and am going to try and bypass it. If it works I will definitely replace the latch. Just to be clear. I have no service engine light and no "hood open" warning light. There are no warning lights on. I just want test the theory before I throw a new latch on. I will definitely update the thread once I try it out.

Do not blame you for trying.   I ordered the same 2k resistors, but decided to spend the bucks and get the new latch installed.   The dealer gave me the old latch and if I have nothing better to do sometime I may fiddle with it.  Heck, I would need to find where I set the little bag of resisters.

Yes,  that is how is is designed to work as long as none of the multitude of pre start tests do not fail.   Doors must be locked, all windows closed, nothing depressing throttle, hood must be closed, battery voltage must be correct, fuel pressure must be correct, no malfunction indicator lamp MIL codes set ( such as CEL, Service parking brake, service 4wd, service esc, service brakes…etc…. On and on….

Even when you have a code reader which I had you may be stuck… because in my case I had a malfunctioning hood latch which was not setting a code or turning on the MIL,  however it was not providing enough resistance to the anti theft system to make it happy and think the hood was latched to allow engine start….

I wonder how many hood latches have to fail in 3 to 4 years before GM will be pressured to issue a recall or allow the latches to be replaced at zero cost to the owner.

I remember the recall on the instrument cluster because the tiny stepper motors would quit working all of a sudden and a person would be without a speedometer and or tachometer.   That was on my 98  Chevy or 2004 z71…. Do not remember which as it was a long time ago…

Seems it depends on when the truck was built.

Not sure when it was changed, but GM's used to be push and release lock, then push and hold (4 sec) the start button. 

I'd guess it got changed with the refresh.

'21 sierra manual says

Starting the Engine Using Remote Start

1. Press and release 'Lock'.

2. Immediately press and hold 'start' until the turn signal lamps flash or for at least four seconds. 

'23 sierra manual says

Starting the Engine Using Remote Start
Press 'Start'  twice on the remote key.

The turn signal lamps will flash. The lamps flash to confirm the request to remote start the vehicle has been received.