Can't turn off Canada headlights

Just now, AE1M said:

You say yours was delivered to GM to Canada and the headlight switch will rotate to OFF when NOT in Park?

If so, it does not operate as the manual states on page 178

ScreenShot042.jpg

You really have to read man!.  I never said my truck does what the American model does.  I have explained over and over and over why the US sold models are not compliant in Canada....and for the umpteenth time its because the US sold trucks headlight off position disables the DRLs as well which is not allowed in Canada!  Gm is the only manufacturer who will not allow headlight off control and it's for the reason above. Where are you even getting my truck in the equation for the headlights.  

So does mine, but while in gear it wont trip the lights. You can rotate it to off all you want while driving, it wont do anything but the knob does turn. Maybe this was changed in the 2016+ MY's. 
Yes correct mine is same way. It will turn anytime but will only shut them off while in park

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, doozer78 said:

Yes correct mine is same way. It will turn anytime but will only shut them off while in park

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Gm has been that way for ages.  My 04 and my 05 won't shut the lights off if it's dark out.  You can't even shut either of those 2 trucks off in park either lol.

Jeeze it's testy in here...Anyways...I will ask a simple question that I probably know the answer to, but, just to start with the simplest work-around...It you turn the knob to "off" while in park and then shift into gear, I assume that the lights come on, correct?

22 minutes ago, NCPGMC said:

Jeeze it's testy in here...Anyways...I will ask a simple question that I probably know the answer to, but, just to start with the simplest work-around...It you turn the knob to "off" while in park and then shift into gear, I assume that the lights come on, correct?

Yes.  Correct.

9 minutes ago, SierraHD17 said:

Yes.  Correct.

That's what I assumed...I looked over the schematics for the headlamps, the DRLs, the fog lights, and the parking lights...I am thinking that it unfortunately all comes back to the BCM programming as was postulated earlier. I did not see an easy way to jump a diode, remove a fuse, or otherwise trick BCM to NOT turn on the whole headlamp set ALL of the time...I am not from Canada but by reading I am assuming that is what is happening...basically anytime the truck is in gear, the whole headlight assembly comes on, regardless of time of day/ambient light. You may be able to mess with the grounding to keep the circuit open but then you wouldn't be able to use the headlights unless you had a second switch...

Edited by NCPGMC

1 hour ago, NCPGMC said:

That's what I assumed...I looked over the schematics for the headlamps, the DRLs, the fog lights, and the parking lights...I am thinking that it unfortunately all comes back to the BCM programming as was postulated earlier. I did not see an easy way to jump a diode, remove a fuse, or otherwise trick BCM to NOT turn on the whole headlamp set ALL of the time...I am not from Canada but by reading I am assuming that is what is happening...basically anytime the truck is in gear, the whole headlight assembly comes on, regardless of time of day/ambient light. You may be able to mess with the grounding to keep the circuit open but then you wouldn't be able to use the headlights unless you had a second switch...

Its ambient controlled and the headlights are not on in the daylight.  The sensor on the dash controls the headlights while in gear.  You can override it in the daylight and manually turn the lights on and off on but that's it.  

If you drop a resistor in place of the ambient sensor of the correct resistance it will make the bcm think that it is always daylight out.  Then you have full manual control of the headlights themselves.

Edited by SierraHD17

Ohh okay, for some reason I thought that the DRLs were the whole HL's instead of the LEDs...so then yes, somehow deactivating the light sensor to keep the circuit open would be the trick.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for feedback on this idea.  After doing some more reading on this forum and some posts in this topic you can sub in a resistor at the sensor to make it think that it is daylight all of the time.  I like having the auto headlights functioning 99% of the time so that option isn't as appealing to me.

My idea is to add a Single Pole Double Throw switch so I could toggle between bypassing the daylight sensor and normal operation.  I think I can do all of this under the dash and splicing into the wires that go up to the senor.  (See the attached marked up schematic)  Add a high quality SPDT switch somewhere in the lower dash.  

What is the resistor size needed to simulate the daylight sensor?  Will codes be set toggling this?  What other pitfalls?

2017 Sierra headlight wiring.PNG

Looking for feedback on this idea.  After doing some more reading on this forum and some posts in this topic you can sub in a resistor at the sensor to make it think that it is daylight all of the time.  I like having the auto headlights functioning 99% of the time so that option isn't as appealing to me.

My idea is to add a Single Pole Double Throw switch so I could toggle between bypassing the daylight sensor and normal operation.  I think I can do all of this under the dash and splicing into the wires that go up to the senor.  (See the attached marked up schematic)  Add a high quality SPDT switch somewhere in the lower dash.  

What is the resistor size needed to simulate the daylight sensor?  Will codes be set toggling this?  What other pitfalls?
5cadde6e8b4df_2017Sierraheadlightwiring.thumb.PNG.c17d86f978fc2f4d87dff720e271c320.PNG
Yes like most all things there is a signal and a reference wire so meter it and you can bench test till you get the right resistance.
You could 5 wire it and have a factory input trigger the relay.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 7:24 AM, AE1M said:

Correct, this is one of the differences in trucks initially sold into Canada.  The round switch to turn OFF the headlights will not rotate to the OFF position while the truck is moving.  Otherwise it will rotate to OFF.  Canadian safety law.  Also, Canadian sold trucks cannot use E85,  My 2016 High Country is the same way.

We get Canadian used GMCs and Chevy trucks and have been for about 2 years.  Mainly from Quebec. 

E85.  E85 is a $100 option on these trucks as of 2015 or so.  It was standard on the 4.3 and 5.3, now its only standard on the 4.3.  On 2015-2018 K2 pickups in Canada, per the GM Canada order guide, E85 RPO code FHS was an option on those trucks. 

2018 order guide for reference: https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2018&regionID=14&divisionID=1&type=0&vehicleID=21128&section=oi_def&page=6&butID=3

The footnote: 

1 - Optional with (L83) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine with (MYC) 6-speed automatic transmission or included with (LV3) 4.3L EcoTec3 V6 engine. Not available with (ZW9) pickup box delete. On 1LT and 2LT models not available with (G1K) Deep Ocean Blue Metallic or (GPA) Graphite Metallic on C*1**53 Double Cab models.
2 - Requires (L83) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine and (MYC) 6-speed automatic transmission.

Headlight switch.  The switch can perform all the rotational functions of the US trucks.  I just went out to check one out. 

-In Park in the day, no lights on.  Turning the switch back to the AUTO position makes no changes. 

-In the "Park" or "Headlamps" position, the headlights turn on, as well has the DRL at 1/2 power (normal).  No "park" lamp mode. 

-In Drive, with the switch untouched, the DRL is on full power.  You can turn the switch to the AUTO position to turn it off as you would a US truck, but nothing changes.  DRL stays on. 

-In nighttime, to the best of my knowledge having driven some before, the override switch does not function either.  The lights are on all the time, no matter the position of the switch.   

As I said many times already GM locks out the off function on their vehicles because it shuts off the DRLs on the US models which does not pass Canadian safety regulations.  Auto headlamps as of now are not a requirement in Canada.  You can get in a Tundra or F150 or whatever... and shut your lights off while driving..

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
10 hours ago, randomledders said:

I have never understood why Americans are opposed to daytime running lights. They make the roads a lot safer for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To quote that National Highway Safety Administration in denying GM's petition to make it mandatory, "NHTSA has reviewed the petition and performed an extensive analysis of real world crash data. Based on the results of our study we were unable to find solid evidence of an overall safety benefit associated with daytime running lamps and are therefore denying the petition for rule-making. The agency maintains its neutral position with respect to the safety benefits from the use of daytime running lamps."

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2009/06/29/E9-15314/federal-motor-vehicle-safety-standard-no-108-lamp-reflective-devices-and-associated-equipment