Can't turn off Canada headlights

13 hours ago, randomledders said:

I have never understood why Americans are opposed to daytime running lights. They make the roads a lot safer for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, NCPGMC said:

To quote that National Highway Safety Administration in denying GM's petition to make it mandatory, "NHTSA has reviewed the petition and performed an extensive analysis of real world crash data. Based on the results of our study we were unable to find solid evidence of an overall safety benefit associated with daytime running lamps and are therefore denying the petition for rule-making. The agency maintains its neutral position with respect to the safety benefits from the use of daytime running lamps."

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2009/06/29/E9-15314/federal-motor-vehicle-safety-standard-no-108-lamp-reflective-devices-and-associated-equipment

Long before DRL's were mandatory in Canada, it was becoming increasingly popular to turn on your low beams while driving your car/truck/motorcycle.  This was especially common on cloudy, foggy or poor weather days.  Using my headlights while driving in the US in the 70's and 80's would usually spark some polite reminders that my headlights were on.  Now, seeing a vehicle with lights on during the daytime is generally recognized and such reminders are exceptionally rare.  I personally believe increasing your visibility is a good thing and having your vehicle do it automatically is a plus.  

• 2 weeks later...

Well when you live beyond the wall it gets dark a lot sooner than in King’s landing, so you guys need them more. Hahhaa

What I hate is how Sensitive the full on auto headlights are and how you can’t adjust THAT part of it. Broad daylight and I drive into a shadow and my headlights turn on and my gps goes into night mode. With a US truck you just switch off the auto lights for a bit. With a Canada truck you can’t do anything cuz the day/night settings are deep in a menu and you’re sposta be driving. Just annoying. Not the end of the world.

11 hours ago, slide187 said:

Well when you live beyond the wall it gets dark a lot sooner than in King’s landing, so you guys need them more. Hahhaa

What I hate is how Sensitive the full on auto headlights are and how you can’t adjust THAT part of it. Broad daylight and I drive into a shadow and my headlights turn on and my gps goes into night mode. With a US truck you just switch off the auto lights for a bit. With a Canada truck you can’t do anything cuz the day/night settings are deep in a menu and you’re sposta be driving. Just annoying. Not the end of the world.

Assuming ?? trucks have the same ambient light sensor on the dash you can try this “mod” 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, _mkaufman said:

Trying to figure this out for myself as well. Working on a military institution they require headlights to be turned off while pulling up to guards at dark. However I just blind everyone lol

Page 3 of this thread. Not cheap but seems to be the only option without splicing/cutting wires.

• 1 year later...

I've tried the following but it doesn't seem to be working...Why can't we just shine a light on the dash ambient daylight sensor to trick it into thinking it's daytime for the few times we need to turn lights off?  I don't understand why mine isn't working unless my flashlight isn't the right color temp or too bright. We could easily rig up a light system that would lay on top of the ambient sensor if this would work.

Anyone tried it?

• 11 months later...

So my Tahoe falls in this category (it is a Z49). I get the headlight thing, but what else is behind the Z49 build? For instance, I cannot adjust the dash illumination. The slider near the headlight switch only controls the brightness of the controls below the infotainment screen. My dash stays bright all the time. I also cannot adjust the brightness of the infotainment screen (no option for day/night, or auto). These are both very distracting at night.