2019 ground clearance?

I own a 2018 Z71 and while bored I found myself looking through the specs for the new 2019 trucks and noticed that the ground clearance on these new models is almost an inch less than on the 2014-18's at about 8 inches unless you get the trail boss. Does this sound right? Just struck me as odd that Chevy would lower the ground clearance on these new models instead of raising it. My 18 sits pretty low as is at 8.9 inches of clearance and I want to level it and upsize tires eventually just to get the front off the ground a bit more. My only thought is that they're trying to upsell the 2 inch factory lift? Or is it for better mpg's? Any thoughts?

15 minutes ago, swoleymammoth said:

I own a 2018 Z71 and while bored I found myself looking through the specs for the new 2019 trucks and noticed that the ground clearance on these new models is almost an inch less than on the 2014-18's at about 8 inches unless you get the trail boss. Does this sound right? Just struck me as odd that Chevy would lower the ground clearance on these new models instead of raising it. My 18 sits pretty low as is at 8.9 inches of clearance and I want to level it and upsize tires eventually just to get the front off the ground a bit more. My only thought is that they're trying to upsell the 2 inch factory lift? Or is it for better mpg's? Any thoughts?

They are definitely bigger than the last gen.  I saw a K2 and a 19 sitting next to each other today, both LT models and the 19 is much taller. I dont know the exact specs but this was from looking at it

• Like 1

And the '19  crews are taller as well as lower......in the GM published dimensions, compared to the '18's.

(at least the crew std box)

Edited by redwngr

First thing I noticed was how much taller the T1 is over the K2. They seem to have raised the cab a bit on the frame to flatten the load floor in back. Bed sides are also taller.  Ground clearance might be the same or less, but in every other measure the T1 is much larger.

• Thanks 1

I believe the AT4 has ground clearance of 10.8 or 10.9 with the factory 2" lift which would be around the same ground clearance as the K2 in a non AT4.  The T1 is wider and taller than the K2.

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

First thing I noticed was how much taller the T1 is over the K2. They seem to have raised the cab a bit on the frame to flatten the load floor in back. Bed sides are also taller.  Ground clearance might be the same or less, but in every other measure the T1 is much larger.

I think pushing the front of the cab forward to make that extra 3" of room behind the front seat has a lot to do with it.  If you look under the hood the engine sits way back under the windshield now.  They probably had to lift the cab floor to fit the engine under there.  I probably won't even try a Roots blower on this one, it was already annoying enough on the older ones.

4 minutes ago, Daverado said:

I think pushing the front of the cab forward to make that extra 3" of room behind the front seat has a lot to do with it.  If you look under the hood the engine sits way back under the windshield now.  They probably had to lift the cab floor to fit the engine under there.  I probably won't even try a Roots blower on this one, it was already annoying enough on the older ones.

Good point. 

I’d like to procharge some day after the warranty is gone. But the way things are going nobody is ever going to have a tune for the blower install anyway.

what defines the "ground clearance" anyway? is it the space under the rear diff? or how much snow I can drive through before the plastic valence becomes my second plow?

I thought the front valence was the lowest point, and that could easily be removed or trimmed to some degree.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There  is an additional air dam on the new trucks to reduce their drag coefficient and increase fuel economy. Possibly this could be removed and stored until you decide to sell the truck.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/07/2019-silverado-aero-enhancing-air-curtains-feature-spotlight/

Approach angle is more of a consideration than the clearance under the center of the truck in most situations I encounter, and this is where the air dam would be a concern.

These new trucks just look so much bigger than the K2s. With GM keeping the same MPG and bringing down the weight 300 to 400lbs it is impressive. That's where all of the r&d money went that didn't go into the interior.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk