2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club

1 hour ago, Flak_Jacket said:

That was my educated guess based on past experience with tons of different cars with the cai. Get ready to tune for it or have drivability issues. I have heard that the dealer can flash your truck to the higher tq levels of the newer trucks. It’s just a couple hundred dollars and doesn’t affect warranty. Your truck runs at 20psi of boost pressure and the new ones are 27.

I have the 2023 so the intake should be even more noticeable in lower revs where it’s making max torque.

That higher TQ flash is the new Colorado not the Silverado :(

9 hours ago, Mike Borowski said:

My butt dyno says it pulls harder longer but I can’t prove it. I have the OG 2.7 not the HO. 

That is what we call a placebo effect. For as little hp as these types of mods gain they aren't noticeable, just the change in sounds make it seem that way. 

I added a OTR (over the radiator) set up to my GTO. They really make a difference and track tested a few mph through the traps faster than stock with much lower IAT's (intake air temps). Even adding that I didn't notice any change except when pulling from a dig, the lower IAT's meant it pulled a bunch less timing and I could tell in the summer in Texas. 

Tyler

26 minutes ago, Amcguy1970 said:

That is what we call a placebo effect. For as little hp as these types of mods gain they aren't noticeable, just the change in sounds make it seem that way. 

I added a OTR (over the radiator) set up to my GTO. They really make a difference and track tested a few mph through the traps faster than stock with much lower IAT's (intake air temps). Even adding that I didn't notice any change except when pulling from a dig, the lower IAT's meant it pulled a bunch less timing and I could tell in the summer in Texas. 

Tyler

Most likely. But I like the sound improvement. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 7:47 PM, newdude said:

Yay! We have a 57mm turbo lol...took long enough to find that out. Hilarious the engineer gave him the gears about not getting their h.o. truck up the ike yet. Was hammering TFL on social media for that months ago, they did a little 0-60 and then crickets ever since.

On 2/19/2023 at 6:22 PM, 622Trailboss said:

This video shows the fuel injector location in relation to the valve and cylinder.

so 10 psi and few less ancillary parts plus lesser transmission for the low tune colorado/canyon model if I heard that right...thing should run forever and get silly good gas mileage, there's the retired guys truck option

20 and 27 psi for the other two models, I believe ford ranger 2.3 runs about 20 psi now (and comes with premium 10 Spd auto), and the f-150 2.7 in the 18-22 range 

great options out there, inline 4's the way to go, that ranger 2.3/10 speed now called more reliable mid-size than tacoma/ridgleline by consumer reports is a tough competitor on the drivetrain front for the mid-size though, I'm sure the gm's will hang with it but may not have as premium a transmission option, and the gm work truck high mpg's longevity tune won't have competition from the ford, ford would need to do a 10-12 psi version to compete there

Edited by 4banger

28163 miles/708.4 hrs  now on 2022 LTD Custom Trail Boss 2.7L oil change #6, sampled. Might share that data here again once we get lab work finished. 

Changed oil and AC Delco oil filter yesterday and got the oil spray mentioned by owners here. It's a mess! It was cold, wet, and I had sand/dirt from off road 4X4 required operations.  My physical and mental capacity is diminishing lately so I am slow and confused most of the time.  Note the constant drainage off the oil filter/cooler is notable  and that is directly routed from turbo so this may be a good place to hide alot of oil when checking the oil and variability of dipstick checks. 

Havoline Pro-RS 5w30 did pretty well from what we can see at 6783 miles/9% life remaining via OLM  of use and some where between 0.5 - 0.75 qt consumed in last ~1800 miles.  Installed the last container of 6qts of Havoline Pro-RS.  E15 is been used 99% of time. 

Comparing wear control to Amsoil ASL signature series a worthy test. I was warned by fellow tribologists that this formulation would NOT protect as well as Amsoil. 

Amsoil PI used once in this interval. Amsoil UCL used consistently last 4000 miles. Bought cases of PI and UCL from 02BlackSilverado  ( Nick ). 

Air filter left in too long, 9508 miles in a very dusty environment. Clean air filter change 1000 miles ago made a noticable difference in MPG inspite of the Havoline being at its end of friction modifcation in my observation. 

Truck runs like a top in very tough conditions here. Can't wear out the loud Duratracs, even plugged, patched from all the old nails, sharp rocks, and crap we pick up they keep working great and get rotated every 5000 miles or so. 

Can't say enough good about this engine and design in and out of super rough weather, deep snow, ice, rocks, high altitude operations through passes that I have to breach to get to VA Dr visits almost 3 X a week.  

Edited by customboss
my brain broke.....added hrs and OLM bullpoop

5 hours ago, customboss said:

28163 miles/708.4 hrs  now on 2022 LTD Custom Trail Boss 2.7L oil change #6, sampled. Might share that data here again once we get lab work finished. 

Changed oil and AC Delco oil filter yesterday and got the oil spray mentioned by owners here. It's a mess! It was cold, wet, and I had sand/dirt from off road 4X4 required operations.  My physical and mental capacity is diminishing lately so I am slow and confused most of the time.  Note the constant drainage off the oil filter/cooler is notable  and that is directly routed from turbo so this may be a good place to hide alot of oil when checking the oil and variability of dipstick checks. 

Havoline Pro-RS 5w30 did pretty well from what we can see at 6783 miles/9% life remaining via OLM  of use and some where between 0.5 - 0.75 qt consumed in last ~1800 miles.  Installed the last container of 6qts of Havoline Pro-RS.  E15 is been used 99% of time. 

Comparing wear control to Amsoil ASL signature series a worthy test. I was warned by fellow tribologists that this formulation would NOT protect as well as Amsoil. 

Amsoil PI used once in this interval. Amsoil UCL used consistently last 4000 miles. Bought cases of PI and UCL from 02BlackSilverado  ( Nick ). 

Air filter left in too long, 9508 miles in a very dusty environment. Clean air filter change 1000 miles ago made a noticable difference in MPG inspite of the Havoline being at its end of friction modifcation in my observation. 

Truck runs like a top in very tough conditions here. Can't wear out the loud Duratracs, even plugged, patched from all the old nails, sharp rocks, and crap we pick up they keep working great and get rotated every 5000 miles or so. 

Can't say enough good about this engine and design in and out of super rough weather, deep snow, ice, rocks, high altitude operations through passes that I have to breach to get to VA Dr visits almost 3 X a week.  

I assume you will decide if you will stick with havoline after oil analysis? Will you go back to amsoil if you don’t like the results? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 622Trailboss said:

I assume you will decide if you will stick with havoline after oil analysis? Will you go back to amsoil if you don’t like the results? 

Yes on both accounts. 

• Like 1

So i have installed the Airiad intake replacement tube. I didn't install the Airaid Dry filter. I had it on for about 500 miles.  

Positives

1. Sound - There is a slight increase in what i call good turbo noises. Nothing earth shattering just barely noticeable.

2. The noticeable 4 cylinder grown is slightly reduced due the to increase in turbo noises.

3. There seems to be a little increase in power in the middle or meat of the RPMs.

4. MPG - Before the install the best 50 mile average MPG indicated on the display was 22.9mpg this was on flat ground with the cruise set at 80mph. After install I achieved displayed 24.2 mpg at the same 80mph on the same road heading in the same direction at roughly the same external temp about 60 degrees.

5. The engine bay looks much better and also looks like you could service many more systems on the engine without having to remove the OEM intake.

6. Install/removal is way easier. This will come into effect later on when having to switch out accessory belts, or other items that require the stock intake tube to be removed.

Negatives

1. There is something strange with the low speed drivability, below 1,500 rpms. It idles fine but something just feels off. The transmission seems to act strange and also the engine. I have put the stock intake back on to see if it was just me and the truck went back to normal after a couple drive cycles. I still do not know if if is perception thing though. I will confirm this once i get more time. I will connect my ODBII scanner and data log the MAF and Fuel trims when i get more time. I suspect that the hump coupler combined with the thicker intake tube creates a step just after the MAF causing some low air speed issues that flow over the MAF. I plan to radius the edge of the airaid intake tube and get a straight silicone coupler. These two things will make the aftermarket tube be more like the stock intake tube. Yes there is an acoridan section on the stock intake but its ID is larger than the MAF tube ID. The Airaid intake tube is just slightly smaller ID at the point right after the MAF tube. The rest of the Airaid tube has to be better flowing than stock. The stock tube goes from round to square then square to round. It turns a sharp 90, then into a perforated area resembling a muffler, and then another sharp 90. The airaid is all nice swoopy turns with no changes to the shape, no perforations, and just a slight taper in size just before it ends at the turbo.

I drive this truck like I'm 100 years old so the below 1500rpm strangeness is a little annoying to me. If anyone is interested i will sell the complete 205-794 for $150 shipped as they are now $199 new, the air filter is still new in box. If it doesn't sell i will keep it and continue to try to improve and refine the design this spring and summer. I will report back with results on both the stock intake data, airaid as shipped and with my modifications to the intake tube.

Edited by Flak_Jacket

On 3/31/2023 at 1:05 PM, customboss said:

Test 6 went pretty well. Wear control is exceptional.

Used less oil over drain but its apparent that this engine will begin consuming oil around ~5000 miles of use and it seems its a design issue. 

At 6000 miles the MPG benefits of Havoline are giving it up, maybe an earlier air filter change would have helped lower oil usage even further.

Lots of rough winter weather and in 4WD on this interval. 

The lower ash content Havoline with about 25% Estolide base oils did hold up well. 75% of the oil is GRP III. 

I THINK the lower ash content is less easy to be consumed as its oil usage was about 25-30% less than the last two intervals. 

Hope this last full test for me is helpful to others running this wonderful mill.  Will go to SyntheticAdvantage TUNER in future if I test it at all. 

Screenshot2023-04-0514_04_20.thumb.png.83296e1e8e93f5488770880c0d309202.png

Screenshot 2023-04-05 14.02.41.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looping back to this, now that fingers crossed all the wet weather here in California is gone for awhile. Im going to revisit the E85 fuel topic, I’m going to exclusively run full tanks of E85 for a few months and will publish the data. I also got a scanner capable of logging data per customboss’s rec many months ago.

Currently as of today I have a full tank of 91 I will use to compare when I switch to full tank of E85.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2023 at 6:41 AM, Mike Borowski said:

That higher TQ flash is the new Colorado not the Silverado :(

well, if we have the high output 310hp/430tq same as the Colorado zr2 then stands to reason we have the same flash and same 27 psi boost peak, or better it said...the zr2 gets the Silverado flash for it's top model and optional upgrade 😉

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, 4banger said:

well, if we have the high output 310hp/430tq same as the Colorado zr2 then stands to reason we have the same flash and same 27 psi boost peak, or better it said...the zr2 gets the Silverado flash for it's top model and optional upgrade 😉

Yes HO in the 1/2 ton and HO in the Colorado/Canyon are the same.  The updated 8 speed changes/tuning would be the only difference.  The Turbo Plus (310hp 390tq) and the HO are the same mechanically, just change in tune state.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1