2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club

I have a 2.7 Turbo 4 LT double cab 4x4 with the 3.42 rear end as a loaner for a few days. I have to say if you don't tow anything heavy, and MPGs are your goal, this might be the motor for you.

Does it sound terrible? Yes. Does that really matter? Probably not.

It has plenty of power mid range but really takes some time to wind up the turbo for a 60 mph highway pass.

The payload on this truck is almost 500 lbs more than my trail boss with the 5.3 v8.

In 3 days of mixed driving with some highway, some back country roads, and some stop and go traffic in the city, I am averaging 23.5 mpg. Also take into account it has only been in the 20s or 30s every morning so I bet in the middle of the summer I would get an honest 24.5 to 25 mpg. Maybe more if you babied it, and once this truck is broken in (only 200 miles on it)

I did not go over 65 at all on freeway (rush hour traffic), and I am trusting the DIC that it is within 5 % so won't bother with hand calc.

For comparison my last two tanks on my 5.3 were in the low 17 range. Same type of driving.

If I was using my truck strictly for work or as a fleet vehicle the 2.7 is the way to go (assuming no long term problems show up).c9efc6bd852d63064fbd35ce39787b96.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I suspect that little 2.7 gets better MPG than EPA. TFL Truck tested it and got like 25MPG on their Highway loop. I'm seriously considering it, but the reports of turbo lag at highway speeds does not bode well.

I plan on pulling a trailer, nothing more than 5 to 6 thousand pounds so it would work there, but I don't know. My gut tells me to let them work out the hiccups in the motor first, and fix that lag issue before I'd consider owning one in a truck I hope to keep 10 years.

The 5.3 is not that powerful compared to competition, but it's bullet proof for the most part.

• Like 1

i was one of those who was hesitant about this motor but after a few MPG reviews , Im impressed... I agree if your not towing heavy things , this is a nice motor to have. 

Gm Needs to offer this motor on the next Colorado/Canyon . no need for the  3.6 V6 

• Like 5

I brought a co-worker out for lunch and punched it a few times. Depending on the speed/ gear you are in it could feel very responsive or like you were waiting forever for something to happen. Chances are if you bought a 4 cylinder you will not be the type to ever do WOT anyway.

I did notice once you wind it up near peak rpm then take your foot off the gas, that turbo really keeps going. Had to slam on the brakes not to run into traffic at the end of the expressway on ramp.

The engine sounds very similar to the 4cyl in the gmc terrain I used to have.

A couple times I could hear the whistle of the turbo, sounds cool to me.

• Like 2

Mine was built on Wednesday... so I am currently in waiting hell. I think we might be the only 2 people who have driven them on here. I did not notice much turbo lag on my drive though - more the transmission being out of sorts, but it only had 26 miles on it so I doubt it really had time to adapt. It may also be a case of being used to horrendous turbo lag in my Mercedes.

I don't think it sounds terrible - but definitely not what you would expect in a full size truck. My current truck is tuned and has an exhaust which is loud as hell, so I am looking forward to the change (I think I am getting old). I can't stand how a V8 sounds and got tired of waiting on the Duramax so this will fit the bill nicely.

I plan on towing my boat, about 4,100LB wet on trailer with it - and we are going to be getting a small camper. My current 2.5L/6 speed manual Colorado handles it through the mountains with ease (in spite of a 3,500lb towing limit for my powertrain), so I am not worried about towing at all in my case.

I'm just really glad that GM came up with something different... I'm a fan of technology and not afraid of the complexity of the engine so I am really excited.

Edited by MDSilveradoGuy
  • Like 2

The 2.7 is not for me but TFL had really good results in their loop at altitude. Real world reports of 2019 GM performance and mpg in general have been good overall. GM's problem is that the roll out and packaging of these new pickups is too dull and incomplete. Why not a 6.2/10-speed in a LT or RST? Why not have a couple more interior color combinations? I think their lack of doing anything exciting with this roll out helps diminish any type of of buzz the 2.7 probably deserves.

• Like 4

You guys that drove these 4 cylinders.

How often did it go into AFM and drop down to 2 cylinders?
I could not sense any deactivation at all. Just did 150 miles today. Smooth as silk. At highway speeds you don't even hear the motor

• Like 1