2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club

5 hours ago, Silverado4x4 said:

Talk about a real let down when someone ask you "hey what size motor you got in there?" and you have to say a 4 cylinder.

I didn’t think anyone bothered to ask that question anymore since it seems like 90% of Silverados in the past 20 years have had the 5.3.

I would actually be excited if someone asked and I had the 4 cylinder. At least it’s something different, and it seems to be doing quite well. Most people are at least curious about the engine.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Silverado4x4 said:

Our dealership has one on the lot and its been there since December GM made them take it and its still there, they cant sell it.. I don't care how much HP and torque it has a 4 cylinder doesn't belong in a full size pick-up. Talk about a real let down when someone ask you "hey what size motor you got in there?" and you have to say a 4 cylinder.

Are you really that concerned about what someone else thinks about what is under your hood?

Its funny that GM made them take it when dealers around here can’t even get them ??

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

They tuned the 2.3 turbo in the new ranger to add 75 hp and 92 ftlbs of torque. If you could do something similar to the 2.7 that might be real fun to drive.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

If they are tunable at some point, I could see a whole bunch of people buying them for that reason alone. 

The only thing I worry about is that nobody is going to be able to get into these ECMs. So far everything seems locked up tight. At least for the V8s.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, how is the engine braking?

The 2.7 in Ford F-150's were terrible at that and my area is a very hilly terrain. I hate to brake so I downshift a lot. That was the reason why I opted for the 5.0 V-8 when I bought my new 2016 F-150.

• Like 1

The 2.7 in Ford F-150's were terrible at that and my area is a very hilly terrain. I hate to brake so I downshift a lot. That was the reason why I opted for the 5.0 V-8 when I bought my new 2016 F-150.
I went down some steep hills yesterday. I didn't notice the grade braking kick in that my 16 had. I also didn't notice any harsh downshift that used the engine to slow the truck.

1 hour ago, Wiggums said:

The TFL review of it on the Ike Gauntlet required 8 brake applications, which is about average across all trucks they have tested. 

• Like 1

I know lots of people think that this engine is stressed 100% all the time; but there was that video some comments back where the engineer talks about how they strengthened the motor just like they would a diesel; ie, if you're not concerned about stressing a diesel (which they all have turbos) then don't stress about this one either. I dunno. Just too new for me I think. Would love to drive one pulling a 6000 pound trailer just to know what it can do.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, the wanderer said:

I know lots of people think that this engine is stressed 100% all the time; but there was that video some comments back where the engineer talks about how they strengthened the motor just like they would a diesel; ie, if you're not concerned about stressing a diesel (which they all have turbos) then don't stress about this one either. I dunno. Just too new for me I think. Would love to drive one pulling a 6000 pound trailer just to know what it can do.

People would rather make assumptions and dismiss it based on its perceived inadequacies than look at the data or facts around the engine.

A small displacement engine with a turbo has proven to be inefficient when running under heavy load and boost. The fact that this engine is getting the real world fuel economy that it does shows how under-stressed it is in its application. The fact that it guzzled gas when fully loaded pulling the Ike Gauntlet shows what it is like when under extreme load.

Given its absurdly flat torque curve starting at low RPM (thanks to being in boost down low), it's not really working hard at all in much of the driving conditions it will encounter. The only area that gives me any pause is the sliding camshaft - and not the forced induction setup or anything downwind of it. I still voted with my wallet and bought one.

Edited by MDSilveradoGuy
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, ShamrockShooter said:

I went down some steep hills yesterday. I didn't notice the grade braking kick in that my 16 had. I also didn't notice any harsh downshift that used the engine to slow the truck.

On my old F-150, I was used to manually shifting down since I don't really want to use the brakes. Even if you shifted it down manually, is the engine braking effective?

One thing I've noticed on my Silverado V-8 is that it seem to feel like I've shifted in neutral and am coasting which I really like. My Ford didn't do that and I didn't want to go slower while going down hill.

The one thing I did notice is when this 2.7 loaner gets warm I keep getting this funny smell towards the front of the engine. The closet I can describe is gear oil. I don't see anything leaking anywhere. My 5.3 trail boss didn't smell like that.

• Like 1

I am intrigued with this engine, I currently drive a HHR SS with the turbo 2.0 and it's tuned and is rather stout.  I just worry about all the tech, one issue and your are stuck with an expensive fix no matter what.  When I look to get my truck later this year I will make sure to give one a test drive for sure.

14 hours ago, ShamrockShooter said:

The one thing I did notice is when this 2.7 loaner gets warm I keep getting this funny smell towards the front of the engine. The closet I can describe is gear oil. I don't see anything leaking anywhere. My 5.3 trail boss didn't smell like that.

I've test driven two 1500's that were new, and each time I got out I smelled that sort of smell; might just be left over grease/oil that comes from new parts getting hot and burning it off. Same thing when buying a new oven or microwave etc.