2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club

Uh...It still sounds like a v8.  Only when it starts dropping cylinders does it suffer.  Keeping it in 7th gear on the selector fixes that- at least until the Range Tech DFM deactivation plug in is available.
Personally I really like the sound of any inline engine.  V6's- not so much.  V8's will always be my favorite though and YES, this still sounds like a V8.

I used a hand held tune. I was uncomfortable with all the extra moving parts required for cylinder deactivation. If I wanted a gas mileage motor I would’ve bought one. I’ve seen( have ) factory tune exhaust on 4-6 cylinders that sound good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So are you folks who own the 2.7 seeing much better mileage than the V8?  It’s really hard to find actual numbers, presumably due to all the variables. I test drove a 2.7 yesterday and I like it, plenty of power for me. However, there are far fewer available in my market, the one I drove was 48k, got down to 39k after supplier and rebates but they wouldn’t budge on my trade. 

Going with the V8 would offer a lot more opportunity to go to more dealers. Wondering if the 2.7 gas savings is worth it?

12 hours ago, Imcrazy said:

I would not buy a full size truck that did not have a V8..  I don't care how many HP's they can squeeze out of it on a DYNO, there is no replacement for displacement... If I am driving a full size truck and worried about getting 22 vs 24 mpg HWY I can't afford the truck to begin with... I think that the 2.7 Turbo is all about meeting CAFE standards... The 4.3 V6 may make less ponies than the 2.7 but, at least it's only missing 2 cylinders... 

I just bought a 2.0T Equinox for my wife and yeah it's quick but, it's no V6 when it comes to smoothness... I just don't like the small 4cyl turbos I like bigger motors with less technology... Sure we're squeezing a mpg or two here and there but, look at what these vehicles cost because of our odd obsession with fuel mileage..

Gas prices here have surpassed $1.70 per litre ($6.63 US Gallon) in my area.    Saving, "a mpg or two here and there" is noticeable at these prices.   I learned during the volatile gas crisis years of the 70's just how unnecessary it was to have a V8. (Getting the most miles out of a limited supply of gas was more significant than the cost.)   My preference has long been the 6 cylinder in my pickups and wouldn't hesitate to move to the 4 cylinder.  I appreciate the history of the V8 and respect the reasons for choosing this option but (IMO) I believe a replacement for displacement was found many years ago.

• Like 1

I'm at 17-18 city, 23ish hwy with my 2.7 Doublecab LT, 3.42 final, and stock 17" wheels.  If you do mostly fast hwy driving I think the turbo4 probably doesn't make sense.  Slower hwy and city I'm hoping the difference is significant from the V8s.

As an aside, I test drove a V8 and found the DFM vibes annoying

Edited by zzrsouth

11 hours ago, Silverado4x4 said:

It does absolutely nothing for me. Just like loud pipes on a Harley. 

I just spent 2 very pleasant hours driving mine with nothing more than a whistle and polite grumble coming from under the hood a few times when I had to get on it. 24.1 mpg best 25 miles showing on the dash so far without trying to hypermile it.

Edited by MDSilveradoGuy

11 hours ago, Limelight said:

Well whether you like it or not, Honda makes some of the best 4 cyl engines in the world, while Chevy is known for the smallblock v8.

They each grew up in different neighborhoods.

I appreciate the small block. I’ll just never own one. 

Hondas are overrated garbage IMO. Not a popular opinion, but it is mine...

18 minutes ago, MDSilveradoGuy said:

I appreciate the small block. I’ll just never own one. 

Hondas are overrated garbage IMO. Not a popular opinion, but it is mine...

Lol, you certainly are entitled to your opinion, I respect that.  I have owned a few Hondas and Toyotas and they have all been absolutely bulletproof and completely trouble free, the reason I left GM in the first place...  

My Father retired from the Broening Highway plant (and I worked there as help over the summers in the 80's while in college) so we have owned many, many GM products between us.  While some were trouble free for my Dad,  I swore them off after the crazy amount of issues  my Wife and I had with my Beretta GT, 2 different S10's, her Envoy and Enclave.  We simply couldn't rely on any of them.  

I love the look of these new T1's and the package as a whole,  so I'm gonna try again, ha! 

We will see, so far so good for me. 

Edited by Limelight
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Limelight said:

Lol, you certainly are entitled to your opinion, I respect that.  I have owned a few Hondas and Toyotas and they have all been absolutely bulletproof and completely trouble free, the reason I left GM in the first place...  

My Father retired from the Broening Highway plant (and I worked there as help over the summers in the 80's while in college) so we have owned many, many GM products between us.  While some were trouble free for my Dad,  I swore them off after the crazy amount of issues  my Wife and I had with my Beretta GT, 2 different S10's, her Envoy and Enclave.  We simply couldn't rely on any of them.  

I love the look of these new T1's and the package as a whole,  so I'm gonna try again, ha! 

We will see, so far so good for me. 

I think with anything it can be the luck of the draw anymore. Out of about 21 GM cars and trucks my parents and I have owned in my life, we had a ‘95 Monte Carlo Z34 that was a nightmare, my ‘02 Saturn VUE was a disaster, and I was ready to burn my partner’s 2011 Terrain that we just got rid of in January. My VUE had literally every common issue those early Theta platform vehicles had. I can’t fault the Terrain as much because it had not been mechanically taken care of by the PO before my partner bought it - and by 150k miles it was just worn out. 

We’ve never had a bad truck out of the bunch (8 of the 21) though, so I am really hoping this Silverado keeps that streak going. My late father’s ‘99 Sierra has about 300k in it and is mechanically perfect. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Donstar said:

Gas prices here have surpassed $1.70 per litre ($6.63 US Gallon) in my area.    Saving, "a mpg or two here and there" is noticeable at these prices.   I learned during the volatile gas crisis years of the 70's just how unnecessary it was to have a V8. (Getting the most miles out of a limited supply of gas was more significant than the cost.)   My preference has long been the 6 cylinder in my pickups and wouldn't hesitate to move to the 4 cylinder.  I appreciate the history of the V8 and respect the reasons for choosing this option but (IMO) I believe a replacement for displacement was found many years ago.

If gas was pushing $7.00 a gallon I would be more sensitive to MPG's too. I didn't realize it had gotten that expensive in Canada...

I still say there is no replacement for the smoothness and power of a big V8.. Sure the smaller V6's can get the job done but, I am not looking for get the job done, I'm looking for an excess of power... When I had the 2014 with a 4.3 it struggled to merge on uphill on ramps empty, sure it got the job done but, It was not confidence inspiring.. That's just my personal preference I like big V8's and I always try to get the upgrade motor, I've always been let down when I haven't...  When I had my Sierra I was disappointed but, satisfied with the 5.3 when I got the Silverado, with the 2016 Malibu I leased for my wife I wasn't really happy with the 1.5T, I'm much happier with the 2.0T in the Equinox I just bought...  With gas around $2.50 - $3.00 a gal here if I get 22 vs 24 on the highway it's not going to make a difference to me at the end of the year but, it irritates me when I punch it and I feel like the truck isn't moving quick enough everyday... That's just me though, I've toyed around with a 6.2 on my next truck so you can see where my priorities are at.... To each their own and good on GM for offering options to suit a variety of preferences...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MDSilveradoGuy said:

The 4.3 also doesn’t have the flat torque curve of the 2.7... it’s all about drivability. The thing just loafs about and feels like it is hardly working. Technology is and will continue to be a superior supplement for displacement 

Its certainly a lot lighter on its feet than a V6 or V8. I hate how a V6 or V8 sounds and drives, so it’s good to see GM doing someone for those of us who want the tech while offering boat anchors for the rest ?

To each their own man... .. I really dislike 4 bangers but, I grew up driving bigger cars, my Dad had Crown Vic's with V8's and that is what I learned to drive in... I'm 34 and I do not embrace technology as much as many people my age and what many see as progress I see as useless... I appreciate the new safety tech but, I question if all the speeds in these transmissions and fast spinning turbo charged small motors are worth the cost were paying to achieve the MPG standards....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, zzrsouth said:

I'm at 17-18 city, 23ish hwy with my 2.7 Doublecab LT, 3.42 final, and stock 17" wheels.  If you do mostly fast hwy driving I think the turbo4 probably doesn't make sense.  Slower hwy and city I'm hoping the difference is significant from the V8s.

As an aside, I test drove a V8 and found the DFM vibes annoying

In my '16 5.3 3.42 I get 16-19 city and 22-24 hwy depending on speed and how flat the roads are... I've never noticed my AFM working but, I've not driven a T1 with DFM yet....

Edited by Imcrazy

2 minutes ago, Imcrazy said:

In my '16 5.3 3.42 I get 16-19 city and 22-24 hwy depending on speed and how flat the roads are... I've never noticed my AFM working but, I've not driven a T1 with DFM yet....

In my admittedly limited (3000 miles) experience with my 5.3 LTZ you can’t notice the DFM hardly at all until you get an aftermarket exhaust on there. I have only a Magnaflow muffler- not a full exhaust

I’m still experimenting with covering  the individual mesh resonators to eliminate DFM drone (very slight) at certain engine speeds under light loads. With all of them uncovered they eliminate the drone so effectively you can hardly hear the exhaust at all. 

Even so, it’s not horrible or my wife would be letting me know. :) 

13 hours ago, Imcrazy said:

Thats pretty sweet V8 milage.  I also have lower expectations on fuel economy bc of what I put in the tank.  Seattle area WA state fuel is not great for milage.

For reference my 2014 Tahoe gets a pretty steady 14 mpg in comparison to my T1's 18.  Hopefully the T1 gets better as the engine breaks in.

After buying a 2001 Intagra Type R I became a big fan of performance 4cyls. At 70 it’s spinning 4K RPMs redlines at 8500. It will cruse all day at 4K and get 24MPG. We still have it. Even if GM had to buy someone else’s 4cyl to figure out how to do it right, I’m sure durability isn’t a problem. I wouldn’t complain about mid 20 gas mileage no matter what engine. I never bought a pickup worrying about mileage anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk