2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club

Praise Jesus... someone else saying it besides me. 

I don’t know where you live, generally in the north and east speed limits are lower. His driving style isn’t all that unusual. Pointing out V-6 gas mileage would be helpful to some. Especially if that engine option is cheaper. Sometime ago the 6.2 guys were pointing out better fuel mileage than the 5.3. And the 5.3 guys were doing the same with the V6 comparison. It comes down to how there’re equipped, all useful info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know where you live, generally in the north and east speed limits are lower. His driving style isn’t all that unusual. Pointing out V-6 gas mileage would be helpful to some. Especially if that engine option is cheaper. Sometime ago the 6.2 guys were pointing out better fuel mileage than the 5.3. And the 5.3 guys were doing the same with the V6 comparison. It comes down to how their equipped, all useful info.

Strangely enough, I find it odd when I drive from North East Indiana to South West Georgia, I have a hard time slowing the pace. Outside of Fort Wayne, highway 30 is 60mph with most doing 70mph. When I get off of I65 in Alabama and make my way into Georgia to Highway 97, speed limit is 55, but I’m lucky to find people going over 50. We just ride slow with our arms out the window.

Strangely enough, I find it odd when I drive from North East Indiana to South West Georgia, I have a hard time slowing the pace. Outside of Fort Wayne, highway 30 is 60mph with most doing 70mph. When I get off of I65 in Alabama and make my way into Georgia to Highway 97, speed limit is 55, but I’m lucky to find people going over 50. We just ride slow with our arms out the window.

In another related thread I posted that going from Texas to the Carolinas I was being rapidly passed doing 74 in a 70. I did see lots of patrol cars working. Didn’t see as many left hangers. Evidently kept to the right law is being enforced.

I’m in the DC metro area. The speed limit on most of I-270 and the beltway is 55, average speeds are in the 70-75 range. 

My cruise was set on 83 this morning going with traffic on the toll road (speed limit 60). Obviously I was driving to get to work and not to save wear and tear on the fuel gauge. 

I see people in the left lane get passed on the left shoulder at least once a month. Trying to drive like Grumpy does around here will get you killed. 

6 hours ago, MDSilveradoGuy said:

I’m in the DC metro area. The speed limit on most of I-270 and the beltway is 55, average speeds are in the 70-75 range. 

My cruise was set on 83 this morning going with traffic on the toll road (speed limit 60). Obviously I was driving to get to work and not to save wear and tear on the fuel gauge. 

I see people in the left lane get passed on the left shoulder at least once a month. Trying to drive like Grumpy does around here will get you killed. 

Read your post back to yourself. By your calculations (read above) people obeying the law are reckless and dangerous. Those violating the law by 20-25 mph and riding the shoulder are much-much  safer. Now that some reckoning right there. 

I chose your post but could have tagged everyone but Stan between my last and this and wrote the same thing. 

Turbo 2.7 (165 cubic inches) Really?  In a truck that this year is the same size as last years 2500. How about Nitro in a blown Briggs and Stratton and a 30 speed gear box. Have at it. 

7 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Read your post back to yourself. By your calculations (read above) people obeying the law are reckless and dangerous. Those violating the law by 20-25 mph and riding the shoulder are much-much  safer. Now that some reckoning right there. 

I chose your post but could have tagged everyone but Stan between my last and this and wrote the same thing. 

Turbo 2.7 (165 cubic inches) Really?  In a truck that this year is the same size as last years 2500. How about Nitro in a blown Briggs and Stratton and a 30 speed gear box. Have at it. 

People who don’t go with the flow of traffic create a larger hazard. I see it every day.

I’m not sure where you live, but I presume it isn’t a major metropolitan area, let alone one of the most challenging areas to drive in in the US, as I do.

Im glad you’re proud of your 97 cubic inches that you have over me. There is a replacement for displacement - It’s called forced induction. 

Why don’t you go start a 4.3 liter fan club thread?

Edited by MDSilveradoGuy
  • Thanks 1

People who don’t go with the flow of traffic create a larger hazard. I see it every day.

I’m not sure where you live, but I presume it isn’t a major metropolitan area, let alone one of the most challenging areas to drive in in the US, as I do.

Im glad you’re proud of your 97 cubic inches that you have over me. There is a replacement for displacement - It’s called forced induction. 

+1. You dont control anyone else by driving 20mph under the flow of traffic - you make wrecks. 75 is about the norm on 60mph DFW highways, and asshats in fastlane making a point get shot sometimes. I really hate the fool entering the freeway going 55 in front of you while traffic is goin 75 - and you got to get 3 lanes over to get to your exit. You check your blind spot and almost die as they SLOW DOWN to get over forcing you to lock up the brakes...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, MDSilveradoGuy said:

Hes stuck in the mustard and needs to catch up  

Its the ole man screams syndrome.,  I was not a fan of the 2.7 but after several reports and actually driving one, color me impressed. 

Honestly 0-60 felt just as strong as the ole 5.3

If your not towing and hauling 95% of the time, why pay more . 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MDSilveradoGuy said:

What kind of economy do you see at 80? Not that you or I put efficiency ahead of actually getting somewhere without causing a pileup...but I was coming through Chicago on the tollway today, doing around 80 (with people flying by me, nonetheless) and couldn’t see much more than 16-17 on the DIC with the 6.2. Just wondering how the 2.7 compares in faster highway speeds under boost.

6 hours ago, MDSilveradoGuy said:

So your argument is because the majority ignore law those that obey it are the safety hazard? 

I don't do irrational.  

:seeya:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

So your argument is because the majority ignore law those that obey it are the safety hazard? 

I don't do irrational.  

I never speed but then again I have a much better understanding of risk than the average person. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

What kind of economy do you see at 80? Not that you or I put efficiency ahead of actually getting somewhere without causing a pileup...but I was coming through Chicago on the tollway today, doing around 80 (with people flying by me, nonetheless) and couldn’t see much more than 16-17 on the DIC with the 6.2. Just wondering how the 2.7 compares in faster highway speeds under boost.

It will pull about mid 18s to 19 flat... it definitely drinks when it is working. It’s quiet aside from some turbo whistle and a bit of exhaust growl when it pops out of 8 on steep inclines. 

17 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I don't do irrational.  

It’s not irrational, it’s common sense. I realize you are severely lacking in that department, but try to mull on it a bit. 

If 10 cars are going 80 in the same direction it is a smooth flow. If 9 cars are going 80 and 1 jackass is going 55, 9 other cars have to take maneuvers to avoid the jackass. 

It doesn’t take an engineering degree (although I have 2...) to understand this concept.