2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club

I actually wanted a turbo 4 Silverado, but there weren't any within 300 miles of me. So I went with the 5.3L V8.  Fuel economy is fine for what it is.  I'm averaging 24mpg highway and about 18mpg city.  But I definitely miss the turbo bov noise from my Cruze.

11 minutes ago, Ion said:

I actually wanted a turbo 4 Silverado, but there weren't any within 300 miles of me. So I went with the 5.3L V8.  Fuel economy is fine for what it is.  I'm averaging 24mpg highway and about 18mpg city.  But I definitely miss the turbo bov noise from my Cruze.

I’m looking to move up from my ‘08 hhr ss so I know what these turbo engines can do.

I think I'll be in the market for a crew cab turbo by the end of this year, or spring next year. My dealer has 6 on the lot, so I might try to test drive in the coming months when my work projects are done and it's not so busy every weekend. 

9 hours ago, Jricharc said:

I’m looking to move up from my ‘08 hhr ss so I know what these turbo engines can do.

Used to be a mod over at CobaltSS.net, so I do as well.  One of my buddy's at the time was a Trifecta tuner and owned an 09 CSS Turbo sedan. Damned thing roasted tires in 3rd. He took it up to top speed in no time at all.  I wanna say it was making 430whp. Those LNF motors are incredible. Shame they gave the Cruze the putrid LE5 1.4L.

Edited by Ion
  • Like 1

On 7/14/2019 at 8:27 AM, Jricharc said:

Anyone have any updates on their impressions of the I4? I’m wondering if it may be a good option over the 5.3/8 speed combo.

Love the engine and can accept the transmission.  Just turned 2300mi/3.5months and I'm a lifetime 19.2 mpg on Costco 87.  I don't do much hwy driving.  Maybe 200mi of the above is highway which was a run up Snoqumie pass and the turbo torque made it effortless. The rest is North Seattle/Everett commuting.

Some of the V8 milage numbers have sounded pretty good and some turbo owners have had some early teething issues.

I'm at 6,400 miles and counting. Every weekend I've had mine has been spent with the boat behind it for at least 300 miles - and this thing is an absolute champ in the mountains. I could not be happier with how it tows.

I'm still very soured on the whole experience with this wiring harness clusterf*. I can't go into too many details right now, but GM refused to buy back my truck even though it spent more than 30 days in the dealer's possession over issues related to the wiring harness. I ended up hiring an attorney and we have settled out of court over it for enough to allow me to trade for something else and not lose anything. I haven't decided what I am going to do yet (waiting on the Ecodiesel Grand Cherokees to come out in Q4 and may go buy myself a Summit, or I may sit on the settlement as I have a wedding and honeymoon that I need to plan for). The truck is running fine now - although I don't trust the repairs. GM shot my new car experience to hell and I hate to say it but they have lost me a a customer (a very brand loyal customer who buys 2 new cars every other year at that...).

• Haha 1

On 7/28/2019 at 8:36 PM, kc classic said:

MDSilveradoGuy is it safe to assume if it wasn't for the wiring problem, you would have been satisfied with the Silverado with the 2.7l turbo?

Very. 10/10 I would do it all over. The only thing that would improve it would be the 10 speed auto instead of the demented 8 speed behind it.

Presumably, any of the new ones would have the remediated part which failed repeatedly on mine as the part number has changed.

• Like 1