2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club

2 minutes ago, Imcrazy said:

To each their own man, you'll not see a 4 cyl full size truck in my garage... 4 cyl turbo's are 4 cyl turbo's some do a better job of hiding it but, even with a lot of lipstick a pig is still a pig... Full size trucks ought to be powered by V8 motors in my book but, hey you voted with your dollars and rolled the dice on the experimental power plant.. I hope you continue to be happy with it...

Great! I’m glad you know what you like. 

I need to find that 5.3 or 6.2 fan club thread so I can go post in it now about how they are thirsty and outdated. Wait, I’ll have the respect of not doing that...

Edited by MDSilveradoGuy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, MDSilveradoGuy said:

Great! I’m glad you know what you like. 

I need to find that 5.3 or 6.2 fan club thread so I can go post in it now about how they are thirsty and outdated. Wait, I’ll have the respect of not doing that...

LOL you should be more secure in your choices... You gotta know that a 4 banger ain't gonna get much love in a truck forum.... It's conversation on a forum, no disrespect it's just a motor in an truck man...

On 26/04/2019 at 8:01 PM, Imcrazy said:

Yeah I liked the bigger I4's instead of the smaller turbo ones... We had a 2014 Mazda 6 with a 2.5L I4 and that thing got after it with a 6 speed auto it was fun to drive... The 1.5L Turbo Malibu that took it's place in our garage had very similar HP numbers but, the turbo lag made it kind of a dog... Although it was a really nice car compared to the Mazda 6...

I love my 2012 Kia Forte Koup with the 2.4L I4 (naturally aspirated) and 6 speed manual.

Edited by Cpl_Punishment

I love my 2012 Kia Forte Koup with the 2.4L I4 (naturally aspirated) and 6 speed manual.

I’ve had four Hyundai’s wife drives a Genesis. I don’t have anything bad to say about them still have the first one 05 Elantra. It’s going to my grandson. I’m not looking to buy for a few years. It wouldn’t take much to get me in a G-70 with a stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

2,800 miles in so far. Averaging 23.1MPG, best of 25.9 over 25 miles. Tows my 4,100lb boat like it isn't back there at all - particularly through the Blue Ridge mountains in Western MD. I couldn't be happier so far.

After about 800 miles, the engine note changed a bit and is more of a low grumble most of the time. I find it pleasant to hear when you do (when it is cold it is loud, however), but it doesn't enjoy being pushed past 4,500 RPM, and really does not need to be often at all. It needs the 10 speed behind it though... whoever let the 8 speed out the door with the shift logic that it has needs taken out and shot.

• Like 1

Here’s my take on the 2.7L:

I work for a GM dealership so have the pleasure of being able to drive all the engine choices back to back.

2.7L is a surprise, it’s a jack of all trades, master of none type engine. It does everything well. If you couldn’t hear the engine you’d mistake it for the 5.3L makes surprising low end torque, excellent fuel economy and minimal cabin noise while cruising. If you’re not pulling heavy or towing quite frequently and are like most that just need a car with a pickup bed. This motor will really surprise you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MX86 said:

Here’s my take on the 2.7L:

I work for a GM dealership so have the pleasure of being able to drive all the engine choices back to back.

2.7L is a surprise, it’s a jack of all trades, master of none type engine. It does everything well. If you couldn’t hear the engine you’d mistake it for the 5.3L makes surprising low end torque, excellent fuel economy and minimal cabin noise while cruising. If you’re not pulling heavy or towing quite frequently and are like most that just need a car with a pickup bed. This motor will really surprise you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A motor that should be in an S-10 not a school buss sized pickup. IMHO.

MDSilveradoguy wrote;  2,800 miles in so far. Averaging 23.1MPG, best of 25.9 over 25 miles. Tows my 4,100lb boat like it isn't back there at all - particularly through the Blue Ridge mountains in Western MD. I couldn't be happier so far.

I get better mileage with a Ecotec3 4.3 and by a ton. 27 + life time average over 89,500 miles.  

Edited by Grumpy Bear

MDSilveradoguy wrote;  2,800 miles in so far. Averaging 23.1MPG, best of 25.9 over 25 miles. Tows my 4,100lb boat like it isn't back there at all - particularly through the Blue Ridge mountains in Western MD. I couldn't be happier so far.

I get better mileage with a Ecotec3 4.3 and by a ton. 27 + life time average over 89,500 miles.  

I know better than to argue with you on this but personally I would sacrifice the mpg difference for the power the 2.7l puts out.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, JR09country said:

I know better than to argue with you on this but personally I would sacrifice the mpg difference for the power the 2.7l puts out.

No argument required. You like what you like. Like you said...it's personal.

Here's a thought. Know what happens when you squeeze a pimple real hard?

POP!!

These motors get smaller and smaller and they keep increasing boost levels as they go. I'll by a turbo four when it's made by Offenhauser. :thumbs:  Or the bring back S-10 sized trucks. It really would be a sweet motor in that truck size don't you think? 

3 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

In all fairness his 2.7 outperforms the 4.3 in power and capability.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:16 AM, MDSilveradoGuy said:

Just crossed the 500 mile mark on the way home from work last night (and I picked it up last Saturday... yeesh!)

Aside from it riding like an ox cart (I have 22’s, so I expected it) and the 8 speed being the relative garbage that it is, I am in love. Not a single complaint about the engine. 

4EA3BF0D-C376-4032-B48E-67B6FDAB47D4.jpeg

400 mile average? 25 miles is way to small of a sample for overall mileage. I've managed 28.4 with my 5.3 over 25 miles before. Just curious to see those numbers, no disrespect directed to the turbo guys here.

No argument required. You like what you like. Like you said...it's personal.

Here's a thought. Know what happens when you squeeze a pimple real hard?

POP!!

These motors get smaller and smaller and they keep increasing boost levels as they go. I'll by a turbo four when it's made by Offenhauser. :thumbs:  Or the bring back S-10 sized trucks. It really would be a sweet motor in that truck size don't you think? 
I agree that this motor should be in the colorado twins asap. Perfect size and power output for them, maybe put it in the traverse as an option for people who want to tow a little bit.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Not sure what your location is or your mix of driving, the 4.3L I drove here didn’t even come close to that over 6 weeks. I put 3500 miles on it in that time. But I’m 70/30 city highway. My 2017 5.3 has a lifetime (just got over 20K yesterday) hand calculated average of 15.1. It’s all stock with 318lbs of tools in the bed. Again, 70/30.
  • Like 1