2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club

On 4/10/2019 at 3:51 PM, MaverickZ71 said:

It's worth noting that Car and Driver magazine tested a 2.7L 4-banger Silverado and got worse gas mileage then their 5.3L, and pointed asked what's the point of a $45K+ truck that can't tow or haul as much as a V8, but gets worse fuel economy?   

Car and Driver's result seems to be the outlier. 

TFL isn't the only reviewer that's gotten better than EPA results with a 2.7 Turbo Silverado so far.

Edited by HondaHawkGT

On 4/10/2019 at 12:13 PM, OnTheReel said:

The DIC on these are actually really quite accurate. Mine has been within a few percent every time I hand-calculated. Sometimes over, sometimes under.

I just filled mine up for the second time yesterday and ran the numbers by hand and they were 1.3% apart. Between the fact that the hand calc isn’t perfect either because of not filling the tank to the exact same level every time (1.3% of the 24 gallon tank is a bit over a quart) and the fact that the DIC only shows one decimal place (.05 MPG rounding error on 16.0 MPG is by itself 0.3%), that seems as accurate as you could expect.

The TFL truck guys fill it till it clicks, then wait 30 seconds for it to settle, then fill it till it clicks a second time when they do their hand calcs. That second squirt usually adds about 0.3 gallons or so.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, MDSilveradoGuy said:

I took delivery this morning. So far I couldn’t be happier with it! Plenty of power and the turbo is hilariously loud from the outside... it’s like driving a small semi. 

Awesome, I’d like to see some drive by footage of that...

I would not buy a full size truck that did not have a V8..  I don't care how many HP's they can squeeze out of it on a DYNO, there is no replacement for displacement... If I am driving a full size truck and worried about getting 22 vs 24 mpg HWY I can't afford the truck to begin with... I think that the 2.7 Turbo is all about meeting CAFE standards... The 4.3 V6 may make less ponies than the 2.7 but, at least it's only missing 2 cylinders... 

I just bought a 2.0T Equinox for my wife and yeah it's quick but, it's no V6 when it comes to smoothness... I just don't like the small 4cyl turbos I like bigger motors with less technology... Sure we're squeezing a mpg or two here and there but, look at what these vehicles cost because of our odd obsession with fuel mileage..

Edited by Imcrazy
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Imcrazy said:

I would not buy a full size truck that did not have a V8..  I don't care how many HP's they can squeeze out of it on a DYNO, there is no replacement for displacement... If I am driving a full size truck and worried about getting 22 vs 24 mpg HWY I can't afford the truck to begin with... I think that the 2.7 Turbo is all about meeting CAFE standards... The 4.3 V6 may make less ponies than the 2.7 but, at least it's only missing 2 cylinders... 

I just bought a 2.0T Equinox for my wife and yeah it's quick but, it's no V6 when it comes to smoothness... I just don't like the small 4cyl turbos I like bigger motors with less technology... Sure we're squeezing a mpg or two here and there but, look at what these vehicles cost because of our odd obsession with fuel mileage..

The 4.3 also doesn’t have the flat torque curve of the 2.7... it’s all about drivability. The thing just loafs about and feels like it is hardly working. Technology is and will continue to be a superior supplement for displacement 

Its certainly a lot lighter on its feet than a V6 or V8. I hate how a V6 or V8 sounds and drives, so it’s good to see GM doing someone for those of us who want the tech while offering boat anchors for the rest ?

Edited by MDSilveradoGuy

8 hours ago, MDSilveradoGuy said:

The 4.3 also doesn’t have the flat torque curve of the 2.7... it’s all about drivability. The thing just loafs about and feels like it is hardly working. Technology is and will continue to be a superior supplement for displacement 

Its certainly a lot lighter on its feet than a V6 or V8. I hate how a V6 or V8 sounds and drives, so it’s good to see GM doing someone for those of us who want the tech while offering boat anchors for the rest ?

I don't know how anybody can hate the sound of a V8...that's just crazy talk man!   Ha!

I think the 2.7 would be fun to have if I just wanted this truck as a second vehicle to do stuff around the house and occasionally tow stuff and still get great fuel mileage.  It has it's place, but I prefer the feel and sound of a (relatively speaking) big V8 doing it's thing. 

Plus, if there is one thing Chevy knows how to do, it's build a pushrod V8. 

4Banger world is Honda territory- they got that down! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Limelight said:

I don't know how anybody can hate the sound of a V8...that's just crazy talk man!   Ha!

I think the 2.7 would be fun to have if I just wanted this truck as a second vehicle to do stuff around the house and occasionally tow stuff and still get great fuel mileage.  It has it's place, but I prefer the feel and sound of a (relatively speaking) big V8 doing it's thing. 

There is nothing this side of a flat 6 that can compete with a big bore 4 cylinder grumbling as it’s putting its power down to me. I just hate the exhaust note of a V8 most of all. Intake honk is where it’s at for me. 

Honda... yea, they need to just go away ?

If you haven’t noticed the GM V-8 doesn’t sound like a V-8 anymore. I would rather have a blown small motor than a V-8 becoming a 4 cylinder. Even the almighty Honda motor co is having some problems with cylinder deactivation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, MDSilveradoGuy said:

There is nothing this side of a flat 6 that can compete with a big bore 4 cylinder grumbling as it’s putting its power down to me. I just hate the exhaust note of a V8 most of all. Intake honk is where it’s at for me. 

So I guess you just hate the sound of this.  https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=cammed+v8+chevys&&view=detail&mid=F80BC2B1F6080381B296F80BC2B1F6080381B296&&FORM=VRDGAR

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

If you haven’t noticed the GM V-8 doesn’t sound like a V-8 anymore. I would rather have a blown small motor than a V-8 becoming a 4 cylinder. Even the almighty Honda motor co is having some problems with cylinder deactivation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uh...It still sounds like a v8.  Only when it starts dropping cylinders does it suffer.  Keeping it in 7th gear on the selector fixes that- at least until the Range Tech DFM deactivation plug in is available.

Personally I really like the sound of any inline engine.  V6's- not so much.  V8's will always be my favorite though and YES, this still sounds like a V8.

43 minutes ago, MDSilveradoGuy said:

Well whether you like it or not, Honda makes some of the best 4 cyl engines in the world, while Chevy is known for the smallblock v8.

They each grew up in different neighborhoods.