2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club

On 2/21/2023 at 2:38 PM, 622Trailboss said:

This review is of the Colorado but the engine is the 2.7 and there’s a graph included showing the power curves compared to the previous v-6 as well as GMs older big block,  I haven’t towed that much weight with mine but there’s videos on YouTube of owners pulling travel trailers with decent weight

Thanks for sharing that video. Very informative. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Texcl2 said:

My 5.3 struggles to start in sub zero weather where as the 2.7 has no issues. I imagine the 5.3 has more mass to spin. Now that said they both eventually start so not a big deal but they are new. I like them both, the 5.3 definitely sounds cooler, lol. 

Bet a better synthetic oil of proper viscosity could limit that issue. Make sure its tuned well, if worn it may not be idealizing the fire and fuel on cold start. 

• Like 2

The 5.3 is a 2022 and uses 0w-20 synthetic, it’s dealer maintained so GM dealership oil. It has 13k  miles on it. A lot of cars struggle especially when it’s in the -20’s. I had a 4Runner that would absolutely not start in temps below -25f. It tripped a sensor and caused a no start situation, Toyota knew about it and basically said it was to protect the engine and transmission my buddies Tacoma did the same thing. If you plugged the engine block heater in overnight it would start but you don’t always have that luxury. The actual temperature tonight here will be -20 to -30f with wind chill of -55f . 

Edited by Texcl2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Texcl2 said:

The 5.3 is a 2022 and uses 0w-20 synthetic, it’s dealer maintained so GM dealership oil. It has 13k  miles on it. A lot of cars struggle especially when it’s in the -20’s. I had a 4Runner that would absolutely not start in temps below -25f. It tripped a sensor and caused a no start situation, Toyota knew about it and basically said it was to protect the engine and transmission my buddies Tacoma did the same thing. If you plugged the engine block heater in overnight it would start but you don’t always have that luxury. The actual temperature tonight here will be -20 to -30f with wind chill of -55f . 

I'm using the 0w-30 variant of this oil (HPL Premium Plus PCMO)

https://www.advlubrication.com/collections/automotive-lubricants/products/premium-plus-passenger-car-engine-oil

Pour point is -72 degrees! HPL makes exceptionally good ide, the PP variant is PAO based which is what gives it best in class cold weather starting properties along with their other properties like high amounts of detergents and anti wear formula etc.

It's not cheap but how long do you intend to keep your truck? It's also an extended drain oil so you can probably go at longer on it than your dealer oil.

You can hang out with us on BITOG if you want to discuss anything oil related, the CEO of HPL is on there regularly answering questions.

Edited by the wanderer

I usually use Mobil 1 EP in my vehicles. When I run 0w-30 it the advanced fuel mileage stuff because it’s all I can find locally that has the dexos rating. The 2.7 Ho starts like a champ in cold weather. The 5.3 stutters a bit and takes longer to start but it does start every time so it’s really a non-issue as long as it doesn’t get worse. The 5.3 had an issue where it started missing and sounded like it had dropped a valve. Had to take it in to the dealer and they checked the codes and reset everything and has worked fine ever since. The power of the 2 engines (2.7 & 5.3) are very similar to the point where I guess I wouldn’t take one over the other. Now if one makes it to 200k miles and the other doesn’t or things start breaking, that’s what matters at this point. We know the 5.3 is pretty durable but the long term service of the 2.7ho is unknown.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2023 at 7:58 PM, Texcl2 said:

Understood. 

If its Dexos1 GEN 2 GM oil its not capable of pumping very well after cranking at -20-30F.  Windchill doesn't play. If you haven't ever changed the air filter in that 13,000 miles you may be fuel diluting the oil more than one would think. Fuel doesn't play well with oil formulations in cold either.  If its running rough and not starting easily and a 2022 AND the oil is a DEXOS1 GEN 3 GM oil then something is wrong at that mileage on a healthy 5.3.  

My 2.7 using really cheap QS 5w30 started fine at -27F here last winter. 

Edited by customboss
my shaky ass hands ruin my spelling so corrected

8 hours ago, the wanderer said:

https://www.advlubrication.com/collections/automotive-lubricants/products/premium-plus-passenger-car-engine-oil

Pour point is -72 degrees! HPL makes exceptionally good ide, the PP variant is PAO based which is what gives it best in class cold weather starting properties along with their other properties like high amounts of detergents and anti wear formula etc.

It's not cheap but how long do you intend to keep your truck? It's also an extended drain oil so you can probably go at longer on it than your dealer oil.

You can hang out with us on BITOG if you want to discuss anything oil related, the CEO of HPL is on there regularly answering questions.

Grumpy Bear was interested in this formulation  too.  Let us know how you like it long term and better yet post up a oil analysis. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, the wanderer said:

Not a huge fan of BITOG like I'm not a fan of the AMSOIL monthly magazine. Wall to wall advertising and articles that look like peer reviewed scholarly articles that are just dressed up advertising. :crackup:Still I find nuggets of useful information in both sources from time to time. 

1 hour ago, customboss said:

Grumpy Bear was interested in this formulation  too.  Let us know how you like it long term and better yet post up a oil analysis. 

Absolutely true. Posts all your lab work. :) 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, customboss said:

I'll probably switch to their Euro "no vii" flavour after this run of PP is finished. I bought the PP without fully understanding their complete product line. It's still an amazing choice, but I just don't need that cold temp property (I can probably run 5w-30) and apparently the no vii will be a better choice for hot summer towing.

The PP is also formulated with magnesium over calcium, making it a better choice for GDI engines, mine is still port injected so just another reason to switch to the Euro.

Edited by the wanderer
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, the wanderer said:

I'll probably switch to their Euro "no vii" flavour after this run of PP is finished. I bought the PP without fully understanding their complete product line. It's still an amazing choice, but I just don't need that cold temp property (I can probably run 5w-30) and apparently the no vii will be a better choice for hot summer towing.

The PP is also formulated with magnesium over calcium, making it a better choice for GDI engines, mine is still port injected so just another reason to switch to the Euro.

Thanks wanderer. 

Mg Sulfonate is a common additive in the past ~7 years for low speed pre-ignition deposits removal and wear control in one package. GDI deposits from fuel are removed well even with lower quality base oils.  

BITOG: since my USN buddies  Bob ( Winters) who founded it then had a stroke and sold to Tony Reik a fellow USN aircrewman who subsequently passed away from cancer  the current management allowed an open science forum turn into a marketing forum so  I departed and have been blackballed there.  

Grumpy Bear and I agree about that site being useful and I put years of effort there to make it a science based forum not a sales pitch.  

• Like 1

For those who use Exxon Mobil products they are relying on phenolics for additive and essentially a base oil functions which are extremely durable but don't always provide the best wear control. They use Mg Sulfonate at high levels too as they drop calcium sulfonate with advanced ZDTP to try to lower the water attraction from Mg additives. 

That advanced euro accepted add pack is what is used in Mobil1 and Mobil Full Synthetic to meet Dexos1 Gen 3 while not using more advanced base oils as one would think. 

Not recommending or disuading use of XOM products they are high quality. Just explaining that some entity like PP is using very good base oils to get to the final performance wanderer is describing.  

• Like 1

When I first drove the 2.7T, I was not sold. Had it in my head that there was no way that a 4 cylinder belongs in a half ton. I originally wanted a 6.2, but didn't have 6.2 money. I didn't want anything to do with the 5.3L due to the junk lifters.

I researched the 2.7 more and more and decided to drive one for a second time. I came away from that feeling slightly better, but didn't like the way that truck was optioned (LT, Gray paint, Cloth, no hitch receiver). 

Eventually, I found a used 2019 optioned just about how I wanted it: 2.7T, 4x4, G80 Locker, Tow package, Heated cloth and steering wheel, etc with 16k Miles. We test drove it, and made the decision. We traded in her 2016 Trax and my 2015 Chrysler 200 in on it. 

Fast forward to today, this truck has become a part of the family. It towed a 26ft camper from Ohio to Southern Utah, then Utah to Oregon. It towed a 1995 Range Rover and a bed full of belongings from Ohio to Utah. It's been back and forth between Ohio and Utah no less than six times, We've driven it through downtown LA, Las Vegas, through the Escalante Desert, the Arizona Strip, the highlands of Nevada, down the Oregon Coast, on the beach...all with the much maligned 4 cylinder.

It just turned 62k miles. 

Issues: We had the EVAP Purge pump replaced under warranty. Also, ONLY when towing heavy (the camper and Range Rover on a trailer), it consumes a little oil. That's it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, customboss said:

Thanks wanderer. 

Mg Sulfonate is a common additive in the past ~7 years for low speed pre-ignition deposits removal and wear control in one package. GDI deposits from fuel are removed well even with lower quality base oils.  

BITOG: since my USN buddies  Bob ( Winters) who founded it then had a stroke and sold to Tony Reik a fellow USN aircrewman who subsequently passed away from cancer  the current management allowed an open science forum turn into a marketing forum so  I departed and have been blackballed there.  

Grumpy Bear and I agree about that site being useful and I put years of effort there to make it a science based forum not a sales pitch.  

Interesting, I'd be curious what your take is on the HPL family. It's starting to really take off on various forums and I'm super impressed with what I read about it, and the owner David. Apparently it was formulated by Dr Leslie Rudnick who is a legend in petrochemistry.

There are reports like this, where one guy had excellent oil maintenance and then after switching to HPL he found all kinds of crud in the bottom of his filter that HPL cleaned up from the previous M1 oil:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/amsoil-eao11-2019-ram-1500-5-7l-11-144km.364312/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the wanderer said:

Interesting, I'd be curious what your take is on the HPL family. It's starting to really take off on various forums and I'm super impressed with what I read about it, and the owner David. Apparently it was formulated by Dr Leslie Rudnick who is a legend in petrochemistry.

There are reports like this, where one guy had excellent oil maintenance and then after switching to HPL he found all kinds of crud in the bottom of his filter that HPL cleaned up from the previous M1 oil:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/amsoil-eao11-2019-ram-1500-5-7l-11-144km.364312/

I know very little about HPL because I retired in 2020 after 40 + years in the business.  Since that retirement I have run away from all things labs and consulting so I can clear my head....and heal body and soul. 

Seriously Bobs stroke and Tony's untimely death made me realize as a veteran I needed to pull back a bit from running 100 mph a day. LOL  

Leslie Rudnick ( last I knew a chem professor at Pennstate) and Ron Shubkin ( etyhl corp last I was aware which is a long time ago) , co- wrote a book on syn lubes and additives and Les did a lot of editing of oil additives books over the years.  I think Les is consulting now out of AZ in his later years.   Not sure about Ron probably like Ted Selby who I lost last year is headed to the great beyond. 

PLEASE DO sample your oil and share it with the group. No one is marketing here but wants good product.  

I highly suggest using a site sponsors ( @Black02Silverado)  oil analysis service so we can see testing that is science based and standardized not piecemeal.  

Cheers 

• Like 1

My L3B continues to make me guess about oil volume. Checked earlier today after sitting all night, the more than 4 hours on a level surface at same cold ass temp here....31 in garage.    It showed 1/2 qt low.  Cleaned off dipstick cable tried again and it indicated 1/4 qt low.   Waited a few minutes ( as if the dipstick slide refills ) ....and its nearly full........

I went the 4 miles down from 9000' msl to 8000' to get mail. Let sit 3  hours after returning  and its full...... me thinks this engine is hiding oil as if its shy.....LOL  

When I drain this baby in another 1000 miles or so I will measure what comes out and have that oil analyzed for fuels in the oil to confirm what it actually consumed if any.

The coolant continues to circulate at hot spots on engine, specifically turbo bearing but the oil does not. Not sure how that plays but it sure is an interesting engine.    

• Like 1