2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club

~2000 ppm of mg sulfonate  there's the secret sauce Grumpy in a straight cut of PAO with some ester component

golly molly BITOG cheapers get some testing with accurate FTIR, full KF water and GC for aromatics.  Al add pack, nope. Pipes and handling valves etc.  

Took a run through BITOG recently, same wankers there lying about stuff.  Sad really. One of the staff members there a PhD poser bad mouthing founders of the site who did the science for hire by reputable companies.  I do note that HPL is a site sponsor now and most of the large oil supporters are gone now.  Thats a good thing if they had Grumpy Bear there holding them accountable.   🤔

47 minutes ago, the wanderer said:

This is the VOA I got for the oil I'm running (premium plus pcmo):

voa.png

Thanks wanderer. Boat load of additives. These cheaper clean reference samples make us want more.......and cost the buyer more over time.  

Physical properties of Bklabs is wanting. We need 40C vis and VI calc,  FTIR, TAN, TBN, Karl Fischer water and OH bonds content and a baseline GC as diesel or gasoline reference to get some idea of aromatics content.  

TR pentane insolubes = additive package before heating/activating in the engine.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, the wanderer said:

This is the VOA I got for the oil I'm running (premium plus pcmo):

Blackstone is a mystery to me. They provide both dynamic and absolute viscosities for the same temperature but do not provide any acid or base information. They use 'close enough for horseshoes' fuel and water. They do not provide data on oxidation, nitration, sulfation and so on.... Looks like you're getting what you pay for but...... Point of the VOA isn't just to find the additive concentrations but to provide an entire reference library for VOA/UOA shift. 

On the plus side they do provide historical wear data for your motor type and provide the average OCI length for that data. Something other labs do not do. While many will find fault in this practice as it is not YOUR motors history, I find it provides a point of reference for 'normal' for the type. 

1 hour ago, customboss said:

Thanks wanderer. Boat load of additives. These cheaper clean reference samples make us want more.......and cost the buyer more over time.  

Physical properties of Bklabs is wanting. We need 40C vis and VI calc,  FTIR, TAN, TBN, Karl Fischer water and OH bonds content and a baseline GC as diesel or gasoline reference to get some idea of aromatics content.  

TR pentane insolubes = additive package before heating/activating in the engine.  

Indeed, I agree. And you thought Red Line and MPT30K were additive rich :crackup:

Here is an HPL Euro (Supercar) 0W40 also missing key data but added Ox and N. @customboss do you recognize this lab by the paperwork? 

Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 10.05.07 PM.jpg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Blackstone is a mystery to me. They provide both dynamic and absolute viscosities for the same temperature but do not provide any acid or base information. They use 'close enough for horseshoes' fuel and water. They do not provide data on oxidation, nitration, sulfation and so on.... Looks like you're getting what you pay for but...... Point of the VOA isn't just to find the additive concentrations but to provide an entire reference library for VOA/UOA shift. 

On the plus side they do provide historical wear data for your motor type and provide the average OCI length for that data. Something other labs do not do. While many will find fault in this practice as it is not YOUR motors history, I find it provides a point of reference for 'normal' for the type. 

Indeed, I agree. And you thought Red Line and MPT30K were additive rich :crackup:

Here is an HPL Euro (Supercar) 0W40 also missing key data but added Ox and N. @customboss do you recognize this lab by the paperwork? 

Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 10.05.07 PM.jpg

Polaris labs based in Indianapolis but could be any of their contract services selling polaris under another name, Amsoil sends most of their customers  lab work there.

Bklabs charges extra for TAN TBN and any other testing they can provide. They have no FTIR capability.  

@Grumpy Bear yeah isn't that SUS vis with cSt @100C interestingly a waste. Their viscometers are old school so they might be just taking SUS and converting it to share with customer.    Makes the customer believe they are getting two viscosities when its the exact same measure different standard!  

The WIX Filters analysis is ALS labs work and dumbed down for consumers. They prefer to work only with businesses.  

Edited by customboss
Add ALS labs
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, customboss said:

@Grumpy Bear yeah isn't that SUS vis with cSt @100C interestingly a waste. Their viscometers are old school so they might be just taking SUS and converting it to share with customer. 

Well, isn't that interesting. Too lazy to measure density for an accurate cSt conversion from SUS. :crackup: They are just pulling it off a chart then and assuming a density of 1.00. :nonod:

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Well, isn't that interesting. Too lazy to measure density for an accurate cSt conversion from SUS. :crackup: They are just pulling it off a chart then and assuming a density of 1.00. :nonod:

Why they are proud to be the  " McDonalds "  of oil analysis....... quote from founder their father.  

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter's boyfriend (19 y/o) bought his first brand new truck this past Saturday. He bought a 2022 Custom with the 2.7. It had 300 miles on it when he purchased it. Today it has 570 miles on it and the CEL is on. He has not made it to the dealer yet to have it looked at. Does anyone here have any ideas of what could possibly trigger a CEL this early on? Any known issues on a brand new 2.7 that is known about here? I researched this engine before he bought it and even went and talked to a Chevrolet service manager that is a close friend of mine just to make sure it was a good buy. I couldn't come up with anything negative about it. Now he has a CEL on a brand new truck and I am feeling bad about it. Just seeing if anyone has any ideas here on the forum.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Flatus said:

My daughter's boyfriend (19 y/o) bought his first brand new truck this past Saturday. He bought a 2022 Custom with the 2.7. It had 300 miles on it when he purchased it. Today it has 570 miles on it and the CEL is on. He has not made it to the dealer yet to have it looked at. Does anyone here have any ideas of what could possibly trigger a CEL this early on? Any known issues on a brand new 2.7 that is known about here? I researched this engine before he bought it and even went and talked to a Chevrolet service manager that is a close friend of mine just to make sure it was a good buy. I couldn't come up with anything negative about it. Now he has a CEL on a brand new truck and I am feeling bad about it. Just seeing if anyone has any ideas here on the forum.

Maybe the evap. Pretty common on the 2.7. It’s a quick fix. 

4 minutes ago, Mike Borowski said:

Maybe the evap. Pretty common on the 2.7. It’s a quick fix. 

Thanks for the reply. He stopped by an auto parts store just a bit ago. They read code P2DE7.