2.7 Turbo 4 Fan Club

My lease end is coming up on my '20 CC 5.3 Elevation. I pull a 28' 7200lb (loaded) camper 8-10 times a year. I have no real complaints about my current setup with the 5.3, but I was looking to get into a 3.0 on my new lease for the larger GVWR (7300lbs) and longer range. The new updates to the 2.7 have at the very least intrigued me simply because of how cheap the leases on them are.

Does anyone here tow 7k lbs with the updated 2.7? Any thoughts?

Edited by namtaru

i thought i would ask this question here instead of the troubleshooting forum. i have a 2020 rst with 2.7 and the 8speed, the last couple of weeks i have noticed that my fuel mileage has not been its usual. i have been driving with gds2 hooked up and confirmed that my truck is not shifting into 8th gear unless i am going over 60 mph. my every day commute is in the 55 mph range and it wont go into 8th gear. just wanted to know if this is normal. truck is stock

1 hour ago, silveradosid said:

i thought i would ask this question here instead of the troubleshooting forum. i have a 2020 rst with 2.7 and the 8speed, the last couple of weeks i have noticed that my fuel mileage has not been its usual. i have been driving with gds2 hooked up and confirmed that my truck is not shifting into 8th gear unless i am going over 60 mph. my every day commute is in the 55 mph range and it wont go into 8th gear. just wanted to know if this is normal. truck is stock

Most of the vehicles I’ve owned in the last 20 years rush to the highest gear and cruise under 2K RPM. It sounds like your vehicle is in tow haul mode. I’m sure other owners of your similar vehicle will jump in soon. As a rule I wouldn’t call it normal.

On 2/20/2023 at 2:21 PM, namtaru said:

My lease end is coming up on my '20 CC 5.3 Elevation. I pull a 28' 7200lb (loaded) camper 8-10 times a year. I have no real complaints about my current setup with the 5.3, but I was looking to get into a 3.0 on my new lease for the larger GVWR (7300lbs) and longer range. The new updates to the 2.7 have at the very least intrigued me simply because of how cheap the leases on them are.

Does anyone here tow 7k lbs with the updated 2.7? Any thoughts?

This review is of the Colorado but the engine is the 2.7 and there’s a graph included showing the power curves compared to the previous v-6 as well as GMs older big block,  I haven’t towed that much weight with mine but there’s videos on YouTube of owners pulling travel trailers with decent weight

Edited by 622Trailboss
  • Thanks 1

I pull a couple different boats, my walleye boat is a new lund  crossover 1875xs. I have no idea how much it weighs but with a full load of fuel and all our junk in it, I’d say it’s over 5k but a total guess. My 22 trailboss has the 2.7HO and it tows as good as my old 5.3 suburban did. I forget it’s back there sometimes lol. I average 14npg pulling it.

Edited by Texcl2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, KARNUT said:

Most of the vehicles I’ve owned in the last 20 years rush to the highest gear and cruise under 2K RPM. It sounds like your vehicle is in tow haul mode. I’m sure other owners of your similar vehicle will jump in soon. As a rule I wouldn’t call it normal.

Mine does this too. Even at 60, it is not guaranteed to be in 8th. I'll bump up to 61, then drop it back to 60 and it will shift to 8th. If I drop it down to about 56, it will go to 7th.

Maybe the RPM would too low to be useful in 8th at 55?

Edited by jashaw

27 minutes ago, jashaw said:

Mine does this too. Even at 60, it is not guaranteed to be in 8th. I'll bump up to 61, then drop it back to 60 and it will shift to 8th. If I drop it down to about 56, it will go to 7th.

Maybe the RPM would too low to be useful in 8th at 55?

Probably all has to do with MPGs. My last cylinder deactivation vehicle at highway speed generally only came on at a slight decline or down hill. Probably the same with all those useless gears in a half ton. A pulling rig more gears. A half ton it appears to be useless. Even if you run 70 on the interstate it would probably do the gear dance at the slightest incline. 

It doesn't surprise me that it is not shifting into 8th at those speeds. A 4 cylinder in those trucks with the weight and wind drag even though its turbo charged the motor is under heavy load the whole time not like a V8 where its more or less relaxing at those speeds and load on the truck.

Don't get me wrong that 4 cylinder is a hell of a motor I just don't think it belongs in a full-size truck, if it's in a car or mid-size truck then it's a different story.

Edited by Silverado4x4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Silverado4x4 said:

It doesn't surprise me that it is not shifting into 8th at those speeds. A 4 cylinder in those trucks with the weight and wind drag even though its turbo charged the motor is under heavy load the whole time not like a V8 where its more or less relaxing at those speeds and load on the truck.

Don't get me wrong that 4 cylinder is a hell of a motor I just don't think it belongs in a full-size truck, if it's in a car or mid-size truck then it's a different story.

I stand optimistic. If they built it like a diesel. And has low end TQ it should be fine for its target use. 

• Thanks 1

I’m an optimist too, I think this engine has a chance of being more reliable and longer lasting than the current v-8 models. I drive both, a ‘22 5.3 and a ‘22 2.7ho. Difference in performance is minimal, the 5.3 struggles to start more in the cold and has had to be taken in for a couple weird engine issues that thankfully weren’t that bad, one day it sounded like it dropped a valve but once the computer reset it was fine. The dealer couldn’t tell me what it was.  Y’all better get used to smaller turbo engines, with federal emissions standards thats what you will be left with in the future. I’d rather have a straight 4 vs a v-6, it is  easier to build a stout 4 and the larger cylinders spool up the turbo much faster, so you get better response. 

Edited by Texcl2

7 minutes ago, Texcl2 said:

I’m an optimist too, I think this engine has a chance of being more reliable and longer lasting than the current v-8 models. I drive both, a ‘22 5.3 and a ‘22 2.7ho. Difference in performance is minimal, the 5.3 struggles to start more in the cold and has had to be taken in for a couple weird engine issues that thankfully weren’t that bad, one day it sounded like it dropped a valve but once the computer reset it was fine. The dealer couldn’t tell me what it was.  Y’all better get used to smaller turbo engines, with federal emissions standards thats what you will be left with in the future. I’d rather have a straight 4 vs a v-6, it is  easier to build a stout 4 and the larger cylinders spool up the turbo much faster, so you get better response. 

I don't really understand what you mean your 5.3 struggles to start in the cold anyway as far as getting use to smaller turbo engines I don't agree read here.  https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/gm-just-announced-an-all-new-small-block-v8-is-coming/ar-AA16A0GT?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=a7d434d316564ebb85eee0463ef48ff2

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Silverado4x4 said:

The 2.7 puts out more torque than the 5.3 does. If the 2.7 can't hold 8th the 5.3 definitely isn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1