Beware of Car Washes

I've been to this location a few times with the truck, but today's experience was different. What the manager called the grill brush caught the passenger gill fairing and ripped it out. We were able to remove the three torx screws and reset the four clips and got the fairing reset back with no scratches and can't tell it was removed. He said they have many fleet 19's that haven't had this issue and I'm the first. He said he's going to send out a bulletin to all their locations to disable the grill brush on 19+ Silverados. He also provided compensation for the situation. Just be careful out there. It is possible this was a fluke, but beware this can happen. 

IMG_20190413_140029.jpg

• Sad 2

I’ve been using car washes for decades. They’ve gotten really good. Leave it to GM to make a truck that can’t go through one. Or maybe a faulty car wash, let’s hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was able to pull up the video and the grill brush starts in the middle and then splits to the sides of the bumper. It just happened to catch it just wrong and the brush locked up and then pop, the fairing came out. Interestingly I felt the truck shift when it happened. There was that much force. If it happens, you will certainly know.

27 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Touchless, or it gets scratched to hell anyway. Also much less risk of losing body parts. Looks like you got lucky this time at least.

Yeah, not going back. I'll either do it myself or pay the guy that does cars up at work. 3x the price, but he does it all by hand.

Laser brushless does this.  But when you're in a pinch,  it's ok.. lol. Our car wash with the brushes called Belafonte's destroyed my truck with scratches and also have seen many cars with body parts being ripped off from their locations. So take it as it is. Be forewarned the anyting Smashing against your car at a high velocity is bound to get something ripped off or scratched up.

20190412_110442.jpg

• Like 1

Been using laserwash brushless for 20 years and have not had an issue with any of the roofs on any of the vehicles i have owned or any of my families. 

Edited by smrr1

I either wash by hand or use touchless washes... I have a 'new' 2018 Equinox that was a courtesy car and the dealer def ran it thru their 'soft touch' wash and it's got some faint scratches that I bet are from the car wash... Nothing a little polishing won't hide but, I would rather have a car with some grime left from the touchless wash than a really clean car with a bunch of surface scratches.

• Like 2