Exhaust doesn't make sense

I'm having a really hard time understanding how everyone 100% believes and accepts as fact that Borla makes the GM performance exhaust.  If that is in fact the case, why did it take them this long to come out with a cat back system with their brand on it for the 5.3 and still don't have one for the 6.2?  Seems like if they really did make the GM Performance, all they need to do is switch out the muffler out for one that has their name on it and poof it's a borla system.

Also, being that I have the 6.2, I was kind of interested in the Flowmaster setup, mainly because it's one of the only ones available.  What I don't understand about that is why in the world they would go 2.5" from the muffler back when that's smaller than stock.

19 minutes ago, Robwcormack said:

I'm having a really hard time understanding how everyone 100% believes and accepts as fact that Borla makes the GM performance exhaust.  If that is in fact the case, why did it take them this long to come out with a cat back system with their brand on it for the 5.3 and still don't have one for the 6.2?  Seems like if they really did make the GM Performance, all they need to do is switch out the muffler out for one that has their name on it and poof it's a borla system.

Also, being that I have the 6.2, I was kind of interested in the Flowmaster setup, mainly because it's one of the only ones available.  What I don't understand about that is why in the world they would go 2.5" from the muffler back when that's smaller than stock.

You must be looking at the 5.3 exhaust since the 5.3 pipe diameter is 2.75 so they could either reduce it or go to 3 inch.  The 6.2 L I believe is 3.5 inch exhaust so it could also be a typo.

Rumor probably persists because Borla makes the K2 performance exhaust for GM, with a GM part number on it and everything.

I seem to remember someone on here asking Borla about the T1 GM exhaust and they confirmed it was theirs, but who knows.

Personally I don’t care. The price difference between the GM, and the entry level Borla using stock tips is a wash. And I’m happy I went with the GM because it sounds great and I’d still be waiting for any other brand to make one.

Not sure what the tailpipe size after the “Y” is on my GM exhaust, but it’s a single 4” out of the muffler before it splits off above the axle. The Flowmaster looks to a dual outlet muffler instead. Two different ways to do the same job.

58 minutes ago, Robwcormack said:

The T1 Chevrolet Performance branded catbacks are made by Corsa.  GM did this on the single side exit Chevrolet Performance K2 exhaust kits as well (they even say TMG Performance, the parent company of Corsa, right on the box).  Note that they are warrantied by GM and not the manufacturer.  So Corsa supplies them for GM, GM then sells it as a GM product, with a GM warranty.  They build them with the Touring muffler.

From my email with Corsa on the Chevrolet Performance branded exhausts, while I was shopping on my 2019 K2:

The kits they get are the Touring, and the mufflers can’t get swapped out for the GM performance exhausts that we do. 

On the GM/Borla, they were made by Borla, developed with GM (hence the AFM flapper) and then warrantied by Borla, and marketed by GM as such.

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

Regardless of whether Corsa or Borla make them, they both just now have come out with their own cat backs and neither has one for the 6.2.  That makes no sense.  They obviously have the design

Regardless of whether Corsa or Borla make them, they both just now have come out with their own cat backs and neither has one for the 6.2.  That makes no sense.  They obviously have the design

I would guess GM made exclusive rights for the performance exhaust for “X” period of time before they could release their own branded exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

I just ordered the Afe exhaust for the 6.2. It is a 4" inlet and dual 3" outlet. I figured you cant get much more flow than that. The price is decent at $725 attaching to the factory tips. They have other tip options available also. 
If you haven't looked under there yet it doesn't actually attach to the factory tips. Just sits in the middle of them freely.

Post some pics and videos when you get it installed

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I am very happy with the GM performance exhaust.  The AT4 I ended up getting had the performance pack with the intake and exhaust, bonus was it got rid of those annoying flapper valves too.  No drone and quiet when not on the throttle.